Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sportsman was bought new about 4 weeks ago. I have puttered around the house and managed to get 20 miles on it. I have noticed on one occasion that the cooling fan came on while I was riding it around the yard. Today I finally got to take it to the trail. I got about 1.5 miles down the trail and I see on the display "HOT" flashing. I shut off the engine and then turn the ignition back on. The cooling fan was not running. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and started it up and drove it maybe 1/10 mile and it came on again. I had to do this 4 times. finally i got enough speed on the trail that it didn't come back on. I drove to the dealer and left it. Two hours later I call the dealer and they said it was ready. I pick it up and go back to the trail. I went in 1 mile and stopped and the fan was running. I turned around and went back to the trail head and drove 1 mile in the same direction I drove this morning. I turned around and as I was getting ready to drive, "HOT" started flashing again. The fan would not come on.

The dealer told me that the fan has a circuit breaker mounted next to the air intake box and it had fallen out. Well, while I was on the trail I looked for the circuit breaker and didn't see one. I didn't even see a socket where a relay plugs in.

Has anyone had this issue with the fan not coming on and if so, what was your remedy?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Have you checked the coolant and made sure it's full?

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes... when I got back to the dealer after the first overheat, he removed the radiator cap and said it was full. I was standing next to the trailer so I couldn't see inside the filler neck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at the dealership told me the fan circuit breaker is located next to the intake air box. I didn't find it there. Do I have to remove the lower air box to see or get to it or is it in another location? This is a 2014 400.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Check your fluid at both filler neck and overflow bottle first.

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went back outside and checked coolant at the radiator and overflow bottle. The radiator was full up to the bottom of the cap and the overflow bottle was full up to the upper level mark.

I did unbolt the air intake box and found the circuit breaker. It looked like the tape that had been holding it down had been cut on one side. I removed the breaker and checked it with an ohm meter. It was closed. I reinstalled it and started the engine. I idled it for around 10 minutes. I revved it up several time to get it to warm up. The fan came on and I didn't have any overheat indication in the instrument display. Both times I had the overheat issue on the trail was around 2/10 mile beyond me going through a pool of ice covered water that was about 10 inches deep and about 12 feet long. Could this have any impact on the fan circuit?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I just went back outside and checked coolant at the radiator and overflow bottle. The radiator was full up to the bottom of the cap and the overflow bottle was full up to the upper level mark.

I did unbolt the air intake box and found the circuit breaker. It looked like the tape that had been holding it down had been cut on one side. I removed the breaker and checked it with an ohm meter. It was closed. I reinstalled it and started the engine. I idled it for around 10 minutes. I revved it up several time to get it to warm up. The fan came on and I didn't have any overheat indication in the instrument display. Both times I had the overheat issue on the trail was around 2/10 mile beyond me going through a pool of ice covered water that was about 10 inches deep and about 12 feet long. Could this have any impact on the fan circuit?Thanks
You should have mentioned this right away.

My guess what happened is you either got ice in the fan area and that prevented it from spinning or you got water on the fan, it froze, and prevented the fan from engaging (spinning). When the fan needs to spin but can't, it will flash the HOT display. Sometimes but not always it will trip that little circuit breaker from trying to turn. Happened to my xplorer once when I plugged up the fan area with snow because I was going thru snow drifts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe it did get ice on it but the first time it happened I opened up the center front cover and spun the fan by hand it is spun freely. I'm just wondering if I may have splashed the ice water up on the sensor and cooled it rapidly as to indicate that the lower radiator was cool. I don't know...I'm just stumped.

I didn't open it up and spin the fan when it overheated on my (second) trip after being picked up from the dealer though.

When I got home and I opened up the cover over the top of the fan I looked down into the fan area and everything is very clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took my ride out again today. I got 10 miles on and 11 mlle trail before I got the hot indicator.

The fan had been cycling on and off during the 10 miles without any problems.

I thought I was ready for a quick fix. I had traced the fan relay last night and made a short jumper to insert into the contact locations of the relay socket. It worked last night when I tried it. Today when the ride over heated I removed the access to the relay and pulled the relay. I installed the short jumper and the fan came on for about 5 seconds and went back off. I let the ride sit for about 20 minutes and the fan came on. I suspect the circuit breaker had reset its self. I pulled the breaker out when I got home. It is a Bussman short stop T1 12v J43 20 amp. Has there been an issue with this circuit breaker? It is located under the seat next to the air intake box. Would it be advisable to up the current rating to a 25 amp breaker?

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've pulled out the breaker. I can sling water out of it. It was not in a sealed pouch of any kind. It's in a location that water can sling up on it when I drive through water. I dodged most of the water today but some of the water holes could not be avoided I wasn't very deep at all. I was below the foot wells. Im going to open up the breaker and see if it shows any signs of overheating. I will also get a new one from the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The machine is under warranty. When it overheated the first time I drove back to the dealer and left if with them a couple of hours. When I called to check on it they said it was ready. When I got there I asked what they found. They said the circuit breaker had fallen out (must not have been fully seated from the factory). I said is it fixed. They said yes. They showed me where the breaker was located while we were in the show room. They showed it to me on another machine. I left the dealer and went straight back to the trail. It over heated within 3 miles. I was too late to get back to the dealer that afternoon. When I got home I looked for the breaker and found it after I lifted the air intake box. I pulled it out and it was closed. I ran the machine and the fan cycled like it should. I also noted that the strip of tape that is installed from the factory that holds the breaker in was cut. That tells me the breaker didn't fall out. Sooo...I go by the dealer the next morning without my ride and tell them what happened. They acted surprised that the fan had failed to come on again. I work 30 miles from the dealer and live 10 miles from the dealer but I can't get there during operating hours and I also don't like to be jerked around. Ill give 5 dollars for a breaker to keep from having to try and catch the dealer open just to leave it with them and then having to try and get back to them to pick it up. If it was something major I would push them pretty hard but with something like this, I just don't want someone piddling with my ride and not getting things fixed. I think I will buy another breaker from amazon and then waterproof it where the metal can fits over the plastic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
polaris sportsman 400ho in snow

Having an issue with the engine compartment fillin up with snow and blocking the fan i am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to close in the inner wheel wells to prevent this from happening...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did. The connections on the fan circuit breaker were loose. They were the spring type that slip over the studs on the circuit breaker. I think only one was loose but I cut them both off and put ring terminals on them. It has been running as it should ever since. The breaker is just forward of the batter on the 2014 under the upper steel tubing that runs under the seat. I could actually remove the air box from above and see it or you can look in from the left rear wheel well and see it. Hope this fixes yours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does. The circuit breaker is the first component in the fan (power) circuit. 12 volts goes through the circuit breaker and then to the fan relay under the center of the front trunk. (you have to remove the four screws and pull the cover out of the trunk bottom) This circuit is one side of the (switched or normally open circuit on the fan relay). The relay is turned on by other devices in the control circuit. I'm assuming the devices are the overtemp sensor in the engine crankcase and the sensor in the radiador.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah your story was my story? I replaced fan & relay then decided it was not getting any power.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was stumped for a while. I had bought two circuit breakers and two relays. I had also made a short jumper wire to pull the relay and jumper across the contact slots on the relay socket. That worked for about 3 seconds one day on the trail and the fan stopped again. I had assumed the breaker was at fault again. Finally found the loose connector. It seems this is a problem with these machines. Im not sure how common though. Just glad I finally found it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts