Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is...Polaris Industries Sportsman® 550 EPS Pioneer Motorsport Chaffee, NY (716) 496-6000

I'm almost decided on this machine, I just have a few things left to consider

1) I heard there have been valve problems on the 550s in the past, has Polaris fixed that problem? Also i heard there was some issues with engine noise, is it still a problem?
2) Is this going to take abuse, like a good amount of abuse?
3) Is the $8,700 price tag worth it? Am I better of just going with the 570cc model?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would go for the 570 personally.

However the 550 is solid. With proper routine maintenance it should last a long time.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The valve issue is not a common problem, very few 550 owners have ever had this problem. I would by the 550 again in a heartbeat. May I ask what your definition of abuse is? If you don't change oil and grease a machine regularly your not gonna be happy with it.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The 550 is a good engine. You get more bang for your buck with the 570. Sit on both and test drive if possible. Get what YOU like best.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I prefer my 550 xp over the 570. Yes the 570 has a little more power, but I love the suspension on mp XP! Also you get the active descent control, witch I didn't like at first but love now. The seat is narrower on the XP, some like it better (I do) some like the 570 wider seat better, it personal preference. I say go ride both, see witch one fits you the best

·
Registered
123 Posts
The old 550 HO is the proven machine....have an 2003 model with 2200 trail miles. (no problems) vs the 2013 850 XP thats got 100hrs on it already in the shop for check engine light and stuck throttle codes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fikester, not trying to be a know it all, but the 550 didn't come out till 2009 in the XP model, I think maybe you have a 500?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Im personally not a fan of strut suspension as what's on a 570. 550 is good bit nicer riding in my opinion. Both engines are great. I agree ride both and see what feels best for you. You cant go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
IIRC the rare 550 valve issue seemed to have affected the '11 and earlier 550's but there may have been a report of an early '12 model someone reported a year or so ago. I haven't heard any reports on the '13s. It was also people riding at higher elevations above 5K feet IIRC.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The old 550 HO is the proven machine....have an 2003 model with 2200 trail miles. (no problems) vs the 2013 850 XP thats got 100hrs on it already in the shop for check engine light and stuck throttle codes.

You are comparing 3(?) different machines here.

I assume 2003 500ho since they never had a 550 in 03' , nor was there an HO version of the 550.

Sooo your post is sort of irrelevant! Lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The valve issue is not a common problem, very few 550 owners have ever had this problem. I would by the 550 again in a heartbeat. May I ask what your definition of abuse is? If you don't change oil and grease a machine regularly your not gonna be happy with it.
I always always maintain my quads. My definition of abuse is hard trial riding and water riding. Like will stock parts hold up?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fikester, not trying to be a know it all, but the 550 didn't come out till 2009 in the XP model, I think maybe you have a 500?
My mistake...yes my 2003 is a 500HO, thats what I meant. Personally think thats the proven machine...and can still be purchased new in 2014?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Nope! Last year was 2013. Has been replaced by 570. Can probably find a leftover tho

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Predator I happen to own both models. I agree with most of the comments already provided here. The 570 is definitely snapper and quicker off the line. My wife and I raced and switched a few times and the 570 always pulled off the line first. The 550 really has a smooth throttle response where the 570 wants to move. There were a few whoops in the track and you really felt them in the 570 while the 550 absorbed them. I thought the 570 was a blast to ride and really power out in the deep corners. If I had to choose one though it would be the 550 because the suspension is so smooth. I was able to get the 550 with winch for 8300 out the door. Good luck on your purchase and Semper Fi.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My mistake...yes my 2003 is a 500HO, thats what I meant. Personally think thats the proven machine...and can still be purchased new in 2014?
No 500 after 2013. Although you can get the 400ho (455cc) which is essentialy the same motor as the 500.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is a common decision given both the machines similar CC's. I went through this as well but decided a low mile 850 was the way to go after a lot of back and forth. No sales tax, no dealer fees heavy and depreciation.
In your shoes, had 850's not existed, I'd go 570 and deal with the inferior suspension.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Predator I happen to own both models. I agree with most of the comments already provided here. The 570 is definitely snapper and quicker off the line. My wife and I raced and switched a few times and the 570 always pulled off the line first. The 550 really has a smooth throttle response where the 570 wants to move. There were a few whoops in the track and you really felt them in the 570 while the 550 absorbed them. I thought the 570 was a blast to ride and really power out in the deep corners. If I had to choose one though it would be the 550 because the suspension is so smooth. I was able to get the 550 with winch for 8300 out the door. Good luck on your purchase and Semper Fi.
I was looking at the specs and there's an 18cc difference between the 2 engines. Does it really make that much of a difference? I mean whichever quad I get I'm obviously going to do the basic mods to it, exhaust, air filter, you all know, the basics. So if i added that stuff would the 550 keep up? I'm all for more power, but the 850xp's price tag is a bit too much. Plus we all know that within the coming years Polaris is going to come out with a Sportsman 1000 so in my opinion I don't want to buy a big bore right now if something even bigger is coming out the next year. And did you buy it during a sales event? The dealers around me want $8,700.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My 550 has treated me well. Have had zero problems yet, at almost 2 years old. Have had it in all types of terrains and has taken me where ever I pointed it. I ride all year long and did a lot of winter ridding and plowing this year. As for the long rides and rough trails you will find the 550 has a much nicer ride and much less fatigue.

As far as keeping up. Unless you are racing, keeping up is not an issue. Have been on the trails with the 850s and a few of those other 1000s. No problem keeping up on the trail. Keeping in mind that the guys I ride with are there to enjoy the trails not see who can get to the other end of it first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just was looking into more pricing and for another $1400 I can get the 850 LE. Worth it?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I think so.

A non le model will be even cheaper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts