Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new here and this is my first post. Hi have a 2014 sportsman 570 with the EPS that I mostly use for plowing. I went through 2 winches so far one 3500 and 2500. I put my third one on yesterday and now my low-voltage light is on and my battery goes dead after 10 minutes of riding. Anyone else having troubles like this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow. Good luck, hope your dealer takes good caer of you. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Who installed the winch?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What was wrong with the previous winches? Did they stop working, or was it a low voltage issue? Do you use a battery tender to top off the battery when not in use? What gear do you plow in?

I had the same issue when I first installed my winch and plow. It ends up that the battery is not charged very well at low RPMs. That combined with repeated use, the battery eventually was giving me the low battery warning. I now use a CTek charger when the ATV is not being used and plow in low gear to keep the RPMs up and haven't had a problem since.

I am running a Warn Provantage 3500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both winches were Polaris. It came with a 3500 and when it would not lift anymore I bought a 2500 and I installed it. It worked for about 10 days and now the gears are stripped and will not hold the plow up. so I put another 3500 Polaris Winch on it work for about 10 minutes and now I get an error message Low voltage and it only runs for about 10 minutes and shuts off. If I put my battery charger on it within an hour it's charged up and run into the battery goes dead again. I had the dealer install factory heated grips and plow lights. I'm not sure if it has enough power to run all the accessories I have on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of winches to go through. Have you thought about a different brand? I assume the dealer is swapping them for you.

Also, do you plow in low gear to keep the RPMs up? I found this makes a big difference. I am able to plow with my HID headlights on with no problem. I just put my heated grips on yesterday, so I haven't plowed with them yet (but we are supposed to get another 6 inches tonight, so will likely get to test them out tomorrow morning :) ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did get the 3500 replaced under warranty but had to buy the 2500 out of my pocket. We've been getting snow for the last month that I need to plow every day. I have a little over 300 miles on it Hannah seems to me like it doesn't have enough power to run all the accessories. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow hope they'll get an answer repost later.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you're not running a battery tender, and only using the bike for plowing - you're not ever really charging the battery. The battery will not charge running low RPMs (which is how you plow.)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I've been told in another thread that the 570 prostar has a 560w stator. That's around 40A at full output. I assume the power drops way off at or near idle as Polaris probably wound it in Y configuration. I've read threads about modifying stators from Y to Delta windings to increase the lower RPM current output. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/633326-more-electrical-power-–-wye-to-delta-stator-conversion/ I'm not sure id start hacking a warrantied machine in this manner but it's an interesting idea.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So, to try things out a bit, I turned my heated grips and heated throttle on high while plowing today. I also turned on my pair of 55 watt HID headlights (it was daytime, but wanted to see if there was an issue). I plowed for over an hour with no issues. I was continually raising and lowering the plow and never saw a drop in power.

A few notes on my setup:
  • 2014 Sportsman 570
  • Warn Provantage 3500 winch
  • Warn Provantage plow
  • Always plow in low gear to keep RPMs up to keep battery charged.
  • Always connect my ATV to a CTEK battery conditioner when done plowing to top off battery between charges.

You didn't state what gear you are plowing in. This makes a huge difference. High gear simply won't keep up with the winch usage (even without the lights) because you never really get the RPMs up when plowing.

You also mentioned a battery charger, but is it a trickle charger that you keep connected while the bike isn't in use? That also makes a difference. You want to keep the battery conditioned because it will lose power every day it is not used.

If you are plowing in low and trickle charge your battery when not in use, there is likely a problem with your battery or stator. Everything works fine for me, so the dealer is not correct if they say that is normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I usually go out plowing for around an hour at a time. I usually plowing high range but the snows been so deep lately I've had to use low range. I drop the machine off today at the shop waiting to hear back from what they found.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would recommend always plowing in low, unless your situation allows for plowing at speeds in excess of 15 mph for long periods of time. Its better on the belt and the charging system IMO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a set of Polaris tracks on it also and it is really low in low range that's why I was using high gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a call back from the dealer today they're saying it's a voltage regulator issue. It should be covered under warranty and waiting to see what kind of timeframe until I'm back on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bulledge, how long did it take you to get your bike back? Any issues since? I assume they installed a new Voltage Reg/Rec. Mine is in for the same issue, since mid-September. The regulator is on back-order.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts