Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this site and as of today am a new owner of a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI 4x4 in Pursuit Camo. I purchased the ATV from my local dealership, they installed a winch on it and loaded it on my trailer, after getting it home I went to unload it and found that I had to hold the hand brake in order for the Sportsman to start, did not matter which gear I was in it would not start unless I held the brake while turning the key. Every time I go to start it I have to do this no matter what gear it is in. Is this normal?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Thats weird.

I know on both my 400 and 850 you don't need the brake in neutral and park. The brake is only required when in r,l,h.

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is normal. Absolutely.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Safety. Mine is too

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
WVFadedGlory..... didn't the dealer / salesman go over the machine with you when came to pick it up? When I picked up my 800 they went over everything with me.... :dunno:

I wonder if a "brake delete @ starting" has been found for these new 570's yet? Good safety feature, but annoying to some. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
You would think that if it was in park it would just start. I've gotten used to it now.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
A good dealer will go over the whole machine when picked up....explain every thing even when to bring in for first service an inspection...the lazy ass dealer will just hand you the owners manual and get you on your way....thats the place i would be scared of to service my machine...no customer service practices..just sent you on your way with no instruction

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from told me this was the procedure to start the ATV before they loaded it on to my trailer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Should have came with a manual too...but would think the brake safety should only be required if in gear?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A good dealer will go over the whole machine when picked up....explain every thing even when to bring in for first service an inspection...the lazy ass dealer will just hand you the owners manual and get you on your way....thats the place i would be scared of to service my machine...no customer service practices..just sent you on your way with no instruction
This is 100% true.. I think any dealer worth his salt will offer you a tutorial before you load up and leave.. When I bought my 850 touring.. The service manager had a check list to go through with me and I had to sign that he rolled though it with me.. He had me run the machine around the parking lot for a few mins to bring the engine up to temp.. Wouldn't let me load up until he confirmed that the cooling fan came on.. Went around it with a wrench and double checked every nut he could get it on for tightness.. Showed me the oil level, pulled out the air filter to show me, made me get on the ground and showed me the oil filter and drain plug.. Counted grease zerks so I knew where every one was and how many there were.. It was comical.. But I really appreciated how thorough he was.. He left nothing to chance.. If anything was going to go wrong.. He did not want it to have anything to do with him missing something on set up.. As a 1st time atv owner it was wonderful peace of mind as I drove off the lot..

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Golf12 thats how a dealer should treat customers....he did his job instructing you to have a good experience with his product....I would bet there service is just as good....time will tell...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for all the responses. Yes I now know that this ATV has this brake feature built in as a safety feature. I also agree that the dealer should have told me this, the dealer did go over the basics of the machine but no did not tell me this one safety feature. Once again, thank you all for the information.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts