Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My main questions to help narrow it down are:

Anyone driving a XP 2014 with new suspension? Does it make a noticable difference in the rear end bouncing around? (My only complaint about the 2013)

Did the 2014 Touring get updated suspension geomitry like the XP or is the 2013 touring suspension the same?

I was about to buy a 2013 Touring LE... Then 2014s announced. I like the idea of the touring for a legit 2 seated for my kids. The drawback, ice fishing rack space to mount an auger is limited, my 10 yr old could be riding a 50/90 on most trails, so not sure I really need a 2 up, but there doesn't seem to be a major drawback to having a touring besides price and loss of rack space.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
You can reconfigure the touring by popping off the seat and replacing with a storage box thereby providing a large rear rack. You will appreciate the additional stability if you do any rock crawling.

I can't comment on the suspension differences but I love my 2012 Touring.

Mark

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I didn't know of any differences in the new 2014 suspensions. But I can tell you that you will definitely like the xtra couple inches of wheel base the tourings provide.

It's mentioned above but you can take the passenger seat off and use the space for a storage box and there will still be more than enough room for someone to sit behind you. It may not be too comfortable for all day riding but it will do fine for short trips and there is more room than on a single seater XP. For all day two-up riding just put the seat on and have fun!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The 2014 LE comes stock with fox shocks. I don't know if the touring does or not.

Other than that there is no difference in suspension. And the touring riders all claim the added wheelbase makes for a more stable ride, but to me thats alot of extra cash to be riding around 1up on a 2up machine.

IMO, if you are just going to be taking your young kids for a ride once and a while, just get a 2up seat and foot peg kit (theatvsuperstore) and be done with it.

As far as the auger mount? Fab one up to mount on the front. or to hang off the back.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been on a touring since '09 and don't miss the one up at all no matter the situations. I wasn't a fan of the convertibility of the XP Toruing at first but I tried it when last went hunting and loved it. It was better than a pack horse and could still give someone a lift when necessary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know if the 2014 Touring has updated suspension geometry of the scrambler like the XP? I think I'm sold on the 2up, just a matter if I get a clearance 2013 or pay more for the EPS 2014 which I would do for better suspension. Not going to blow $13,000 on the LE with fox shox though!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
The suspension components didnt change from 2013-2014.

And eps comes standard on all xp tourings.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My wife decided she wanted her own machine. She rode a bunch of different machines and each time came home and took my touring out and when she returned she always said she liked it best. (She has no experience riding) I bought her a touring and she loves it. I took the seat off of mine and put in the tool box and it is great.

The longer wheel base makes the couple of extra dollars well spent. Some say the touring's will climb hills much better because of the added length.

As far as fox shocks go, I don't see how they would be worth the money. Mine handles great and rides great.

The main suspension hasn't been changed so why up grade shocks on a medium duty a arm bushing machine.

I say get the touring

·
Registered
319 Posts
I love the touring as I do a lot of mudding and hunting and I can remove the seat and add a rack extender in and straddle more mud and creeks with the longer wheel base. I also seem to get stuck a lot less than my friends 500 with a shorter wheel base and same setup as mine. My wife said she would ride at first but now wants her own machine as the passenger can get covered in mud with my setup some if we go hardcore mudding. but who goes mudding to stay clean anyway?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Sportsman 850 EPS LE. The Fox shocks are stiff, but are adjustable. The clearance on the XPs are 12 inches now and the LE are 11. Polaris is offering $1000 back or 2.99%. I got the $1000 back and if you go to Sheffield Financial for a loan. They say if you buy $650 in accessories, they will lower your interest rate one full percent!!! Also the new atvs have the engines turned so the footing is closer, so your knees are closer. So, its more comfortable to ride. Best I can tell you.... Take one on a test drive.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Have you looked at the X2 model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did briefly consider the X2. Seems like a work machine that can be fun. I'm more after the best suspension on a ice fishing tool. I think the real question I have is has anyone been on a 2014 XP with the new scrambler suspension? I'll either buy that or a Touring. Looking for the smoothest ride.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
You won't get the smoothest ride from a Touring model. They have a heavier rear spring than the XP. If you have a few hundred pounds on the rear, in addition to you, it will ride smooth, otherwise it is much harsher. Yes, I have ridden both and no, I'm not knocking the touring model, so you touring owners can calm down. :) Just the facts. One is made for carrying a lot of extra weight, one is not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a great point on the touring springs... I will almost never ride a full sized adult... just my 40-50lb kid(s). Maybe I'm better off with a Sportsman 850 LE with the Fox Shocks and a "back rest" for the kids and more rack space than the Touring?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
...........You're putting way too much thought into this. Go down, take a couple for a test ride. Throw your kid on the back. And see which one you like best.

Jesus!

·
Registered
392 Posts
That's a great point on the touring springs... I will almost never ride a full sized adult... just my 40-50lb kid(s). Maybe I'm better off with a Sportsman 850 LE with the Fox Shocks and a "back rest" for the kids and more rack space than the Touring?
I'm not sure where you are getting the more rack space info?? You're either gonna give up seat space or rack space. You're not gonna get both especially if you're planning on getting the single seater.

If you're just gonna be using it for ice fishing then I think the fox shocks would be way overkill. If you just like the fox shocks because they look cool then get what you like! You don't have to justify it. Buy it because you want it.

The X2 is a great all around vehicle. It will multi tasks like no other and you don't have to leave the seat behind because it's built in. And for ice fishing it will haul all your goodies with room to spare including a larger seat than the single seater.

It sounds like you're all about the fox shocks. I'm just not sure you'll ever notice the difference in suspension unless you're racing it. It's a lot if money for not a whole lot of benefit. I can guarantee it won't help you catch any more fish.

Bottom line, get what to want because you want it! Don't need to justify anything to us. Just get it and ride! :beer:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Sounds to me thr x2 is exactly what this guy needs.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It does raise a great question though.

The XP has a legendary smoooooooth! ride.

That being said, is there really any advantage to getting Foxxies ?

Do Foxxies ride as smooth as the stockers?

Or do you give up some smoothness with the Foxxies but gain a better shock for " jumping ", etc?

Or does the stock XP shock work fine for jumping, etc?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Given an 800 lb machine isn't a true jumper but you get my drift. People do catch some air on them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go to your dealer and take a look at the X2. My Father and I just picked up 2 2014 550 X2 machines. The goal was to have a machine with tracks that would be ready to hit the woods for sugaring season and be useful throughout the year to maintain the woods. The initial concerns were enough power to be comfortable with tracks, but keep in a reasonable price range. Another consideration was the ability to have a second rider on a machine made for it.

We arrived at our dealer and noticed the 570 (which I had read about here as well) and looked at each machine they had, including the Can-Am models. It came to looking at 2013 models with power steering to try to get a little extra savings. Not much was available. We looked at the functionality and it the choices were quickly whittled to the X2.

With about 15 miles and 3 hours on them they run great. The tracks definitely will be helpful in the snow. The only problem we are experiencing are the tracks rub when negotiating terrain which causes them to pivot up and contact with the floor board area. We are going to look at cutting the trim (which is recommended in the instructions).

SO...take a look at the X2 while it is not an 850, definitely enough power for fun in the woods and work.

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts