Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost new 2015 Polaris sportsman 570, has about 200 miles on it. I don’t usually use it as I prefer my 2011 sportsman 550 EPS touring But my 550 has a bad axle leak so I grab this one. I get about 12 miles back in a very remote section of mountains and all of a sudden it just starts backfiring and running crappy. I checked the engine code which is 520 194 And then a seven on the bottom. I’d look it up in the manual and the closest thing is the throttle position sensor problem. I try and fix it for a while but realize I’m running out of daylight and I’ve got a horrendous hike back windchill was supposed to be in the Below Zero category for the night. I think the only reason I’m alive to post this is that I carry a satellite phone. And was able to contact a couple friends who made some calls. I had about 5 miles and then fortunately someone Pick me up right before dark. I messed around with the wiring harness jiggled it I played with the throttle cable adjuster. How can an almost brand new ATV suddenly have throttle position sensor problems? My old 550 was always reliable. Now I have to spend an entire day to go back up there and get it. I will never trust it again

·
Registered
19 Posts
These are the types of stories that make me not want to buy any of the new models. They are way to dependent on cheaply made electronics. I constantly see threads about electronics issues and people just having other mechanical issues that a 3-4 year old toy shouldn't be having.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
This is why I still run with a carburetor. It is easy to convert from EFI to carb on many machines, but most newer vehicles are so tied together with wiring and sensors they will not convert without major rewiring and component substitution. My only EFI vehicles are cars and trucks. Motorsports vehicles have a few years of 'teething' to attain the level of reliability of the auto industry. When the industry median vehicle costs $20,000, has an external over driven alternator and direct port injection, then the reliability may be acceptable, but anytime you go off road - whether you use a truck, ATV, motorcycle, horse, mule or your feet - never go alone. You might join the ranks of early prospectors who ventured out alone and never returned.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
All Equipment can fail.
You should never go in the deep woods without company,at least someone should know where you are.
But of course you can blame Polaris.

·
9,408 Posts
I travel some pretty remote places as well and its generally a good idea to have company. That's not always possible or desirable however in some situations. It IS always possible to make sure someone knows where you're going and when you expect to be back and to never go out like that without food, water, emergency shelter, extra clothes, first aid, etc.
If you were gonna walk into the mountains, surely you wouldn't do it naked and with no supplies or other means of survival?? Likewise, it makes no sense to depend on ANY machine, or horse, or even your truck that can get you way deeper into the boonies without having some means to take care of yourself should something happen to your ride. Use your head or you may wind up dead!

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I travel some pretty remote places as well and its generally a good idea to have company. That's not always possible or desirable however in some situations. It IS always possible to make sure someone knows where you're going and when you expect to be back and to never go out like that without food, water, emergency shelter, extra clothes, first aid, etc.
If you were gonna walk into the mountains, surely you wouldn't do it naked and with no supplies or other means of survival?? Likewise, it makes no sense to depend on ANY machine, or horse, or even your truck that can get you way deeper into the boonies without having some means to take care of yourself should something happen to your ride. Use your head or may wind up dead!
My thoughts exactly!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All Equipment can fail.
You should never go in the deep woods without company,at least someone should know where you are.
But of course you can blame Polaris.
yeah, i will absolutely blame polaris. if polaris can't make a machine that will last 200 miles of easy riding before the tps goes bad, then they suck, pure and simple. maybe when something similiar happens to you, you might change your snide attitude. the only reason i made it back was because of my own preparation,, sat phone and friends who answer. polaris caused the entire debacle.

anyone on here who thinks it is ok for a machine with less than 200 miles of easy riding to break down in this manner needs to learn a little about life.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is why I still run with a carburetor. It is easy to convert from EFI to carb on many machines, but most newer vehicles are so tied together with wiring and sensors they will not convert without major rewiring and component substitution. My only EFI vehicles are cars and trucks. Motorsports vehicles have a few years of 'teething' to attain the level of reliability of the auto industry. When the industry median vehicle costs $20,000, has an external over driven alternator and direct port injection, then the reliability may be acceptable, but anytime you go off road - whether you use a truck, ATV, motorcycle, horse, mule or your feet - never go alone. You might join the ranks of early prospectors who ventured out alone and never returned.
in many cases out west here, having another person with a machine is not possible. and my old 2002 500 had a carb, it was good but here in the west you can go from 2000 ft elevation up to 10,000 and that carb did not like anything over 8k, sputtering and stuff. some old kawasaki machines had a great feature, a little altitude pull knob.

apparently the polaris's have a history of bad tps's, harnesses, and the thumb throttle adjustment stranding people.

it's really the amount of use and milage this thing has on it that is total BS, when i left on this trip it had less than 200 easy miles. how the hell something can break down when it is practically new is ridiculous,,,,and for anyone telling me it's my fault t hat the tps went out, what color is the sky in your world?

·
9,408 Posts
Well, OP... A 2015 machine is NOT new. The machine is 5 years old no matter how you slice it. It being that old with only 200 miles simply means its been sitting its whole life. Sitting around in storage is much more detrimental to any machine's reliability than being used on a regular basis. Given the crappy fuel most of us are being force to use nowadays, it almost always means the machine needs a good fuel system flushing and possibly repairs from alcohol induced degradation of components before you take it out in the boonies and depend on it to get you back safely no matter what brand it is.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You should always ride with another person! Not necessarily for equipment failure, but a possibility of an accident. Earlier this year a buddy of mine had a mishap (believe with a deer) on his ATV. He had to be air lifted and had internal bleeding inside his head.

His helmet came off (his fault, doesn't like dealing with the strap so he doesn't use it). Fortunately his son came by and found his father and machine on the side of the trail. Because of where he rolled, a casual person would not have seen him in the brush off the side of the trail.

He came out ok, but still doesn't totally remember what happened.

Take someone with!

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
For a long while now I've had the understanding that if it's mechanical it's going to break sooner or later and that's with anything,any manufacture. Seems like most of the stuff I buy these day's and maybe it's just my luck of the draw I have to return,replace, or have it fixed. Seems kind of high percentage, but I'm going to say 60% or better of stuff that is pretty well known name brand stuff these day's. I try not to bash the manufacture because mechanical stuff can and will malfunction without a time limit. If it's a problem were it's one thing after another it may just be a lemon and that's with any manufacture. It's like we have no guarantees from one day to the next if we will be here or not.

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts