Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am mechanically challenged and I'm learning as I go when it comes to doing maintenance on my ATV.

Zerk Fittings-

1- Does anyone have the exact count and location of each on a 2015 570 Sportsman SP?
2- What type of grease gun should be used? Does it need to be the Polaris specific or is there a generic gun? Grease?

Thanks for any help/ insight you can provide.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts

This the gun I use the Lincoln 1133. For grease I use a quality marine grease. Sorry don't know about the fittings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a specific size fitting that the gun must be? Do you know what size yours is? For example, I came across one on amazon.com... states "Fits standard Grease Guns - 1/8" NPT fitting. Fits all SAE and Metric Zerk fittings."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, I am mechanically challenged and I'm learning as I go when it comes to doing maintenance on my ATV.

Zerk Fittings-

1- Does anyone have the exact count and location of each on a 2015 570 Sportsman SP?
2- What type of grease gun should be used? Does it need to be the Polaris specific or is there a generic gun? Grease?

Hey SportsmanJV...My 2015 SP touring model has a total of 13 grease fittings. 6 on the back suspension (1 on each bushing), 6 on the front dual-A arm bushings and 1 on the drive shaft leading to the front diff from the tranny - you'll find that one just under the right foot brake. Any grease gun will do as long as you have a flexible hose - some of the fittings are a little tricky to get to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Zerk Fittings-

Hey SportsmanJV...My 2015 SP touring model has a total of 13 grease fittings. 6 on the back suspension (1 on each bushing), 6 on the front dual-A arm bushings and 1 on the drive shaft leading to the front diff from the tranny - you'll find that one just under the right foot brake. Any grease gun will do as long as you have a flexible hose - some of the fittings are a little tricky to get to. Hope this helps.
Maximus510- This is a huge help... much appreciated. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :) Do you have a grease recommendation, polaris just states "All Season". Side question regarding U-Joint- I have no idea where this is located, and the manual states to use specific U-Joint grease, any chance you might be able to describe where on the machine this can be found? Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always use Amsoil synthetic grease and lubricants in all my toys. The u-joint grease fitting is the one located under the right brake pedal - on the drive shaft I mentioned in my previous post...sorry I should have specified. Depending on the type of riding you do (Summer/Winter/wet/mud), and while you're at it, I also recommend that you put some di-electric grease in all of you electrical plugs (this is much easier if you pop off all the panels/seat - makes it easier to locate them). This is something that will save you alot of headaches in the long run as it will prevent corrosion in your electrical connections. Takes about an hour to do start to finish. Happy trails !!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always use Amsoil synthetic grease and lubricants in all my toys. The u-joint grease fitting is the one located under the right brake pedal - on the drive shaft I mentioned in my previous post...sorry I should have specified. Depending on the type of riding you do (Summer/Winter/wet/mud), and while you're at it, I also recommend that you put some di-electric grease in all of you electrical plugs (this is much easier if you pop off all the panels/seat - makes it easier to locate them). This is something that will save you alot of headaches in the long run as it will prevent corrosion in your electrical connections. Takes about an hour to do start to finish. Happy trails !!!!
Sorry, but one last question... do you use the same Amsoil Synthetic Grease in all the fittings including the u-joint? Or is this a different Amsoil lubricant? Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the same grease in both areas...:veryhappy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to follow your lead then... off hand, do you know the exact Amsoil grease you are using? I was just looking online and see there are various synthetics.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm going to follow your lead then... off hand, do you know the exact Amsoil grease you are using? I was just looking online and see there are various synthetics.
AMSOIL Synthetic Multipurpose Grease

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
How often should these fittings be getting greased? I have a 570 Touring SP and I'm new to the machine. When I picked it up the service guy told me about the 13 fittings being greased but I don't remember asking how often to do it?
Also he didn't mention anything about greasing the electrical plugs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I usually grease the fittings every time I service the bike (usually at oil change or at about 300 miles). Adding dielectric grease to the various electrical connections on the bike should be done when it's new at minimum...and about every couple of years (more often if you pressure washing the engine and electrical areas regularly). It will keep the corrosion down in your electrical connections. Hope this helps !!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Any good waterproof grease will work and use the same grease on all fittings. You can pick it up at any parts store while you are getting the dialectric grease. Doesn't have to be synthetic just give them a couple of shots of grease at oil changes and one about halfway between the change. Maybe more if you ride in mud and water.

Ronnie

Ronnie

·
Registered
41 Posts
How often should these fittings be getting greased? I have a 570 Touring SP and I'm new to the machine. When I picked it up the service guy told me about the 13 fittings being greased but I don't remember asking how often to do it?

Hey I have a 2015 Sportsman 570 but only found 8 zerk fittings so far. Where are the other 5? I don't see or feel any zerk fittings by U joint in front or rear.

I found 6 at the back and 2 in front.

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts

Hey I have a 2015 Sportsman 570 but only found 8 zerk fittings so far. Where are the other 5? I don't see or feel any zerk fittings by U joint in front or rear.

This is in reference to an SP model. So if you have the non-sp model then the only zerk you missed is the one on the prop-shaft or front driveshaft slip joint.

·
Registered
41 Posts

This is in reference to an SP model. So if you have the non-sp model then the only zerk you missed is the one on the prop-shaft or front driveshaft slip joint.

You might be right. I think mine's the base model (Sage) 2015 Sportsman 570. Can someone provide a screenshot of where the prop shaft/front driveshaft zerk fitting is? Thank you!

-Al

1 - 20 of 23 Posts