Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of 2015 850 sp touring with 600 miles. I’ve gone through most of the machine (all fluids, air filter, chassis lube ) to get ready to ride, but have a question about drive engagement. When sitting still, the machine clunks (especially in reverse) when the transmission engages. Seems ok while moving but the clunk engagement from stand still seems harder than I would expect. Anyone have insight???

·
8,911 Posts
Check for play in the propeller shafts front and rear. They will have some play but make sure nothing is loose.
On a side note, the Polaris parts catalog doesn't even include the prop shafts for your machine in the parts diagrams unless they them hidden somewhere that I couldn't find lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Polman. Doesn’t seem like driveline.... it feels like transmission isn’t engaging until rpm picks up more than Han expected. I can rev up and down a little with no engagement. So I always try to ease into it to slowly launch, but I get hard engagement.

·
8,911 Posts
Thanks Polman. Doesn’t seem like driveline.... it feels like transmission isn’t engaging until rpm picks up more than Han expected. I can rev up and down a little with no engagement. So I always try to ease into it to slowly launch, but I get hard engagement.
You may need to clean and service your clutches and replace the belt if the engagement has become more harsh.
Polaris recommends to clean, inspect at 1000 miles/100 hrs and replace any worn parts as needed... more often with hard use.
I think some year models of the 850's were known for sorta harsh engagement. You might contact Ryan at RVS and see what he says about a clutch kit to smooth out the engagement.

·
Premium Member
7,483 Posts
What RPM does the clutch engage??

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
You are not supposed to shift gears or ranges while in motion - you might just turn the idle down a bit, but if the clunk is not severe, it's not abnormal.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for feedback everyone. It isn't when I shift gears. Its after I put it in gear (forward or reverse) that I can rev engine slightly before any engagement...then clunk! engage and off I go. Seems harsh, but reading more about this being typical. I'll record RPM at engagement tonight if I can get to the garage (work...and kids soccer...and....)

·
8,911 Posts
Another thing that will cause harsh or abrupt clutch engagement is not allowing the machine to warm up properly before taking off. You're supposed to let the machine warm up about 5 minutes to warm the belt and clutches and everything else. My 18 1k has about the smoothest clutch engagement of any Polaris I've ever been on...BUT, if I just hop on it cold, start it up and take off immediately it too will hesitate to engage and then hit pretty hard when it does. Not good for the machine or your belt and clutches.
I'm not accusing you of bad riding habits lol. I just know I'm sometimes guilty of being in a hurry to get on the trail or get off the trailer or get out of the garage and take off cold. Its just better practice and easier on machinery to get in a habit of starting the machine FIRST and THEN get yourself ready to go. By the time you get your gloves, jacket, helmet and whatever else put on, the machine has sufficient time to warm. Proper warmup will almost ALWAYS make for a smoother initial take off.
I'm getting long winded here, but another thing I do is to very seldom take my machine out of gear when I stop to take a break while out riding unless I'll be parked for a very long time. I know many will disagree, but I've worked on a lot of Polaris machines over the years with worn out shifter parts. I figure that like most other mechanical things, that mechanism only has a finite number of times its gonna operate from new until its worn out and don't work very well or needs replaced. On the newer machines you MUST hold the brake to start anyway. So unless I'm parked somewhere that I NEED to have the tranny in Park (rare), I just shut off in gear and start back up in gear rather than having to shift two times unnecessarily causing more wear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points about warming up and shifter....I’m good about warming up before riding. So I went out tonight to check rpm. It runs up to about 1850-1900 before it engages. Funny but tonight very smooth. ??? I also tried a light rev and back off a couple times and got nice smooth engagement. I’m probably going to pull the cover and take a look at the belt.

·
8,911 Posts
Good points about warming up and shifter....I’m good about warming up before riding. So I went out tonight to check rpm. It runs up to about 1850-1900 before it engages. Funny but tonight very smooth. ??? I also tried a light rev and back off a couple times and got nice smooth engagement. I’m probably going to pull the cover and take a look at the belt.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like you really have any problem. Its just the nature of Polaris machines.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Another thing that will cause harsh or abrupt clutch engagement is not allowing the machine to warm up properly before taking off. You're supposed to let the machine warm up about 5 minutes to warm the belt and clutches and everything else. My 18 1k has about the smoothest clutch engagement of any Polaris I've ever been on...BUT, if I just hop on it cold, start it up and take off immediately it too will hesitate to engage and then hit pretty hard when it does. Not good for the machine or your belt and clutches.
I'm not accusing you of bad riding habits lol. I just know I'm sometimes guilty of being in a hurry to get on the trail or get off the trailer or get out of the garage and take off cold. Its just better practice and easier on machinery to get in a habit of starting the machine FIRST and THEN get yourself ready to go. By the time you get your gloves, jacket, helmet and whatever else put on, the machine has sufficient time to warm. Proper warmup will almost ALWAYS make for a smoother initial take off.
I'm getting long winded here, but another thing I do is to very seldom take my machine out of gear when I stop to take a break while out riding unless I'll be parked for a very long time. I know many will disagree, but I've worked on a lot of Polaris machines over the years with worn out shifter parts. I figure that like most other mechanical things, that mechanism only has a finite number of times its gonna operate from new until its worn out and don't work very well or needs replaced. On the newer machines you MUST hold the brake to start anyway. So unless I'm parked somewhere that I NEED to have the tranny in Park (rare), I just shut off in gear and start back up in gear rather than having to shift two times unnecessarily causing more wear.
I like these two pieces of advice. Thank you.
Scott

·
Registered
964 Posts
If this is your first Polaris ATV, then it's normal to be cautious. But, these machines are pretty clunky and just the nature of the beast. :masked:

"all normal here"

biz
:wink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts