Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at one with 600 miles on it. how do i know if the recall work has been performed? Anything else to be on the look out for?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the quick reply. Any issues inherent to these machines? I have searched the forums and don't see much info on this particular year. Is this similar to other model years?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I still have an sp850 2015. Been a good bike. The heat shielding is a must. Mine melted the right hand side panel and burned my rain suit before the recall.
The one way bearing in the clutch went out at about 500 miles. I installed a two way from a scrambler and have never touched the clutch in 7500 miles.

Other than those two things, I have not had any problems. I do use my bikes pretty hard but don't abuse them in deep water or deep mud. Mostly mountain riding on the continental divide.

D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have an sp850 2015. Been a good bike. The heat shielding is a must. Mine melted the right hand side panel and burned my rain suit before the recall.
The one way bearing in the clutch went out at about 500 miles. I installed a two way from a scrambler and have never touched the clutch in 7500 miles.

Other than those two things, I have not had any problems. I do use my bikes pretty hard but don't abuse them in deep water or deep mud. Mostly mountain riding on the continental divide.

D
Thanks for the info! How did the bearing issue manifest itself? I'll be taking this for a ride today and would like to know what to look for.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Really hard to shift. Belt squeals when stopped. When it gets really bad, you have to shut off the bike to shift and it wants to keep going forward while at idle. Burning rubber smell when the bearing seizes to the shaft.

Not really a big deal. All three of my sportsman have had the one way go out in less than 1000 miles. MY12 MY15 MY18 xp1000.

My 15 pretty much sits in the garage now except for plowing snow. I ride the 1000 all the time for fun.

D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pretty easy repair if needed?
Not really!! Dealer will want around $300. I do them myself for $39. You can do most of the work yourself except breaking apart the clutch. It takes some special tools. I made my own, but I work as a machinist so it was no big deal for me.

Once you have the clutch off, you can take it to the dealer and they can take the spider off and put in the new bearing. Probably for about $100. Depends on the dealer.

This is what I install instead of the one way.https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2019-Polaris-Ranger-RZR-Scrambler-OEM-Primary-Clutch-Needle-Bearing-3514609/173702238271?fits=Make:Polaris&epid=3017022912&hash=item287175d03f:g:N5kAAOSwOnJcHQ3a

Never had a problem after that.

D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks...I did get it yesterday. Great machine. I do notice that the rear tires seem much more "Grabby" on asphalt than my older machines. Maybe not quite as smooth on slow acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I bought a 2015 850 and put 28" tires on it and a clutch kit (QSC from Ryan) - smooth as can be now. I also run tracks in the winter months. I really like the 850. I had some issues with relays and starter when new, replaced with after market stuff and it's been dependable. Also installed a front diff cover and frame braces for some makes me feel better.

·
9,789 Posts

D
I need to come out and ride some of you're part of the Divide Deucer!
I've never had a one-way go bad on one of my machines but I do service my clutches pretty regular. I understand why you're replacing with a plain needle bearing but I think I'd miss the EBS. Then again, I guess I'm really not using it that much anyway since I very seldom drop all the way off the throttle when stopping or on descents. I usually drop off the trigger gradually so the clutches stay engaged to control speed and so not using the one-way most times. Some are too steep for that though lol. :grin

·
Registered
264 Posts
I live in right on the Continental in Butte MT. The one way bearing takes a real beating on our trails. Mostly real slow and rocky. Really rocky, big rocks that gets you hung up on the belly pan. On and off the throttle all the time. I bet the one way engages and disengages several thousand times a ride. Got real tired of the on-off herky jerky controlling the speed. We have hundreds of miles of ATV trails and old mining claims to ride too. It would be great to have visitors out here.

D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Guys....1 more question. Upgrading tires to 27" Bearclaws on stock rims.......do I need spacers? There seems to be enough room to clear the tie rods.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
On the stock wheels? no spacers needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My girl has the 2016 SP and we put 28" ITP Blackwater's with no clutch kit and it has been smooth sailing. No bearing issues. Of course, we are east coast NC, so not a lot of hills and rocks. The recall is a must. We noticed that it seemed to get really hot on the right side by the exhaust, by her leg, and I know my Arctic Cat didn't get close to that hot. Googled it, found out it was a free repair. The way you notice is a lot of silver metal plating, and the meshy type silver heat shield all along the right side towards muffler. You might not notice since you would have to compare to one that didn't have the repair. Happy riding!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts