Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big Boss has competition now. Damn thing is huge. Coming from Can Am it will probably sell for about $20K.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have seen it. it looks like it would be pretty sweet. It looks like it would have a lot better performance then the bigboss but I think the bigboss will still be safe with it probably costing much less

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'll be getting a big boss strictly for the price. LOL like mentioned before it will probably cost $20K

EDIT actually watched the video....its pretty neat but i'll have to stick to my Polaris roots

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Looks good. Looks really capable, even at high speeds. Wonder if polaris is re-designing the big boss now.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i think the big boss is pretty much safe as is. though i could see it eventually getting the 900 and any upgrades done to the 800 sportsman

that is a lot for a work machine, it's cool that they where able to incorporate removing the sides to make a flatbed! that hasn't been available on BigBoss sense the 98 redesign

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Dirt Trax needs to do a straight up comparison. I would like to see both atv's loaded with max cargo weight going through the rough stuff. Riding with an empty bed load is worthless if you buying one of these imo. Not saying that one is better than the other just would like a real world everyday test of both machines.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I don,t see the point in these 6x6s. Just get a trailer, or buy a ranger.

For the small amount of units they sell, polaris should just drop them anyways...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

For the small amount of units they sell, polaris should just drop them anyways...
Yea im kinda with you on that as well. They are neat machines but how much abuse can they take with a full load. Especially with the center wheels off the ground on that long chassis. I can load a standard atv and trailer on the same tow trailer as one can load one 6x6. As far as normal work/farm use id say they are pretty good. When you get down to tough terrain with a big load I dont see the chassis holding up very well in the long run. To much stress in the center of the machine

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There are a few farmers around here that use them for field work. Seem to like them.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm actually really surprised that CanAm spent the time and money developing this... Maybe there's a bigger market for 6x6 over in Europe... But in North America, I think most folks that want a workhorse are going to spring for a Ranger or similar SxS... You can do more work with a Ranger, and you can get an enclosed cab and a heater for working in the bitter cold...

I doubt Polaris will re-vamp the BigBoss... It's such a small fraction of the market... And by the time it's all said and done, a Ranger or Sportsman towing a trailer will be the better workhorse for the long haul for reasons already mentioned... Lot of stress on that chassis...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
^I'd have to agree. Some think that the 6x6 will take you places a 4x4 can't. Its not true. It's actually in most cases the opposite. A ranger would be better suited for most folks. Or just an X2 or normal 4x4 ATV.

·
Registered
852 Posts

the 6x6 has a small size advantage on the ranger. I kept mine for doing woods and fencing stuff. being smaller it's able to get into more places i wouldn't dare bring the Ranger into.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
That thing does look like it performs nice (and sounds good too). Also as the review demonstrated..... ready for both "work and play". That thing looked like it could really get around on the trails too, drifting / dirt track cornering a 6x6!!

I'm not in the market, but really liked the versatility of the bed on this thing..... modular sides, gate and the big thing "STORAGE FOR ALL THE PIECES AND PARTS", for when used as a flatbed..... Genious!! :idea:

As mentioned.... I would think the BigBoss (atv sized) 6X6 has small market..... But yet I still see a need / market in the Farm/Ranch, Forestry and other off-road commercial uses (Surveyer's, Fire / Rescue Service, ect). But for many I think the Ranger / UTV size is a more versitil fit.... but if size (width) or weight is an issue, the BigBoss 6x6 fits the bill perfectly.

Since they are still producing and selling them, and now are seeing the first market compotion...... the numbers must not lie..... and the market / demand for them must exist!!!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I love how guys are talking about the chassis not being able to handle the heavy loads in rough terrain like they have taken the machines out and tried them that way.

Or that Polaris should just get rid of them.

Anyone with a brain in the head can see how more wheels = more traction. and I for one would strongly consider a 6x6 for any work related ATVing.

Also, hauling a trailer vs having a load in the bed are two totally different beasts. the trailer removes the weight that helps with traction it also changes the drive-ability of the vehicle. A fully loaded trailer can push and pull a vehicle around on rough terrain. where as having the weight located on the vehicle only helps with traction. would rough terrain damage the chassis under full load? Couldn't tell you, you'd have to test it. but then again any sane person would be riding extra careful under full load on rough terrain. You're not going to be riding the same way you would unloaded and playing. you're going to be moving slowly and deliberately. This type of driving inherently limits the amount of damage that you'd cause to the vehicle because you're doing everything you can to maintain the integrity of your load.

the ATV 6x6's don't require as large of a trail to get by on and don't impact the environment nearly as much as switching to a Ranger that requires more trail width and would tare up terrain more than the 6x6 ATV. the same goes with an ATV with a trailer. The addition of the two additional tires greatly increases traction and reduces wheel spin. something you're going to be doing if towing a fully loaded trailer through sensitive ecological systems.

There is a reason most ORV areas require you to stay on established trails. It's to minimize the environmental impact in the area.

There is a reason that Polaris has maintained the Big Boss in their lineup for so long. It's because they are hitting their sales targets. That means there is a demand for the vehicle and there is a Market. If there wasn't Can-Am wouldn't have brought one out themselves. Is the market for the 6x6's ATV's North America? I'd venture to guess that the further north you go, the more marketable they are. but in a Market where 75% of the use is for play, you wont see as much sales of the 6x6. But that doesn't mean there isn't a market for them. Just my $2.00. I'd say $0.02, but I rambled a bit...

·
Registered
155 Posts
A big boss with 40% left of the tire lugs is like a 4x4 atv with good tires.

They do perform much better in rough terrain. Ranger is too big. :)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Anyone with a brain in the head can see how more wheels = more traction.
I'll have to agree and disagree to a point.... in theory Yes, I'd agree 110% when locked into 6X6 AWD.

But in actuality / real world the opposite often seems to be most true.... Take wet, snowy or loose material surfaces for instance.... the more surface area or square inches of surface are you cover the less "traction" you seem to have. Same goes for trucks with wide tires.... it's the "pizza cutter" (narrow) tire that perform the best as less surface area = more psi of force to the ground/road, giving more traction. But then on the other hand.... the less psi you are putting in one spot gives you a lighter force to the ground, so you can "float" up ontop of the surface (so to speak). :idea: :nixweiss: So which is the true or reality?? Any thoughts ? :nixweiss:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts