Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 sportsman 850 White lightning a few weeks ago. Whenever I shift it into any gear I have to ease on the gas until it catches gear, and it feels kinda rough. Is this normal? I had an 850 a few years ago but don't really remember much about how it shifted. My 2013 400 HO isn't like that but this is a totally different machine. Any help would be awesome!

Also is there anyway to remove the speed limiter without voiding warranty? I mean its fast enough I'd just like to have it removed.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I bought a 2015 sportsman 850 White lightning a few weeks ago. Whenever I shift it into any gear I have to ease on the gas until it catches gear, and it feels kinda rough. Is this normal? I had an 850 a few years ago but don't really remember much about how it shifted. My 2013 400 HO isn't like that but this is a totally different machine. Any help would be awesome!

Also is there anyway to remove the speed limiter without voiding warranty? I mean its fast enough I'd just like to have it removed.
i don't believe there is a speed limiter on the 850 unless it is something they did for the 2015s? i had my 2013 850 up to 81 mph before i backed off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i don't believe there is a speed limiter on the 850 unless it is something they did for the 2015s? i had my 2013 850 up to 81 mph before i backed off.
It's gotta be a speed limiter. It wont go past 80 and Its got plenty of power left in it. Feels just like a car shutting off. What about your 850 when you put it in gear? Do you have to ease on the throttle at first until it catches?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

It's gotta be a speed limiter. It wont go past 80 and Its got plenty of power left in it. Feels just like a car shutting off. What about your 850 when you put it in gear? Do you have to ease on the throttle at first until it catches?
my clutch always engaged right away except for in reverse. it would rev up a little then slam into gear but all of my buddy's 850s were the same way. per the top speed limiter, i think 80 is about all you're going to see out of them. you may be hitting the rev limiter if anything. keep in mind that it is a 4x4 atv. i can't think of too many cases where you would need to go any faster than 80. i hit 81 on a 3 mile stretch of highway and that is about the fastest i would ever want to go. any faster and you're just asking for an accident to happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was more concerned about the shifting part than anything else. I was hoping it wasn't just mine that shifted like that! I was more or less just curious about the speed, 80 is plenty fast enough! Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
2,490 Posts
I was more concerned about the shifting part than anything else. I was hoping it wasn't just mine that shifted like that! I was more or less just curious about the speed, 80 is plenty fast enough! Thanks for your help!
So, you are talking about the clutch engagement and not "shifting"? My new 850 has no issues shifting and I do not believe there is a "rev limiter" except for reverse. At what RPM does your machine hits that rev limiter?

There is just a little hesitation (rpm increase) before clutch engagement but I'm coming off a '10 550 and that machine was the worst I've ever seen for that.

Just the function of the CVT clutch that you are seeing/feeling, I believe. At what RPM does you machine idle and at what RPM is you clutch engaging?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 850 has always had that little lag in it before it grabs ever since new. It only does it though when you have first started it on first take off. After that it doesn't do anymore until you shut it down and restart again. Same thing for reverse. I think it's normal for these machines. I have over 3300 miles on mine with zero clutch or belt problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the clutch doesn't engage until u reach 1850 rpms. That's the jerk u feel. My 2015 does the same thing if u slowly watch your rpms u will notice it engages right as u hit 1850 rpms. On the speed part I hit 80 and let go didn't feel a speed limiter.
If u want a smoother engagement start looking into a clutch kit I just got a qsc one and I can let u know if it helped make it smoother on the engagement.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I hated the clutch engagement on my 850 especially when I used to the smooth engagement of the older sportsman's. I put a Qsc clutch kit in from rsv performance and it is so much smoother.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
you say you have to ''ease'' the gas to catch a gear,you can change gear only if the engine is idling there is no synchronization build in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2011 XP 850 Touring

I have had a 2011 XP 850 Touring for about a week now. It was doing the hard engagement in reverse and a little bit in high. I've owned a dozen different Sportsmans but never had this issue. I figured it was due to the belt slipping so I got a new Highlifter 3GX and now it's worse than ever. The quad is actually jerking in forward and still really hard in reverse. I know how to change belts, and I know it's on right. It almost seems like the gear case is slipping and jumps in and out.
Advice anyone PLEASE. I love this machine and don't want it to be a money pit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have a link for the kit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
On my 15' xp1000 i felt the same thing. I was always afraid of hitting the gas to hard after shifting from reverse to foward and snapng a gear or something. You can feel the lag in trans shift or the clutch..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts