Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I have a 2015 Polaris 850. I was driving it along the trails a few weeks ago and got to a spot where I had to turn around. I tried to put the bike in reverse but it didn't want to go, so I gave it a good tug and ended up stripping the bell crank. I managed to get it back into gear and drove home. I put on a new bell crank, thinking that would fix the problem, but when I tried to back out of the garage I realized it will not shift into Reverse or Park. Shifts through Neutral, Low and High just fine.

Not sure whats going on. Anybody have or know of a similar experience? The bike has less than 1000 miles on it.

Also, I noticed the foot break doesn't seem to be working either, probably not related but also an issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. Not sure what the cause is? I put in a new spring kit in my primary and secondary clutches and a new belt. Seems better but still not convince this was the fix?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue with mine. Not sure what the cause is? I put in a new spring kit in my primary and secondary clutches and a new belt. Seems better but still not convince this was the fix?
So, with your issue, did your shifter stop at neutral and not go any further into reverse and park? or would it shift into these position but not engage them?

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Here is a link to a video of what is happening.

Probably not good. Seems like the issue is on the inside of the transmission case, with the mechanism there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine would not shift out of Low. It was just stuck. The clutch felt like it was engaged even at no throttle. Even shut off I could not get it out of low. After 3 hours of trail riding praying I would not have to back up it finally shifted out of low. FYI - I have a 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 Touring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015 850 sportsman also. I had same problem last winter while plowing snow. I stripped the bellcrank and replaced it last winter.. Now this year I cant seem to get it to come out of high gear, if it does it only goes to low no farther. I sure would like to find the problem also. I cant even get it off of my trailer because of this.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Seems like an issue inside the transmission to me. When you replaced the bellcrank were you able to shift through all the gears then without the shifter hooked up? If not then I would start by dumping the trans oil and looking for metal filings. If you can, then the problem is more likely in the shifter itself. Maybe look for something binding up at the pivot point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like an issue inside the transmission to me. When you replaced the bellcrank were you able to shift through all the gears then without the shifter hooked up? If not then I would start by dumping the trans oil and looking for metal filings. If you can, then the problem is more likely in the shifter itself. Maybe look for something binding up at the pivot point.
Yes I was able to shift thru all gears after I replaced the bellcrank last year. It was working fine all summer with all the times that I rode it. Then this fall when I started my trap line it started acting up again. The weekend I pulled all my traps is when it gave up and wont come out of gear now. Brought it home and left it on trailer. Of course i cant unload it anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I would start by disconnecting the linkage and see if you can shift it at the transmission to get it off the trailer and inside.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I had hard shifting on my 850 since new. It got worse and worse until the engine had to be turned off to shift, also my belt started to squeal. I replaced the one-way bearing in the primary clutch and realigned the clutches and my issue was fixed. You may have something else going on but this was my issue. I would check the clutches before tearing into the transmission. When idling IN NUTRAL the belt should NOT be rotating. Maybe just barely moving. If its moving it will make the trans very difficult to shift. When IN GEAR if the belt is trying to move it will bind up the transmission gears and cause difficult shifting. Similar to a manual shift transmission. With the engine off you might be able to rock the ATV back and forth to release the gear tension and get it to shift.

This is what my one-way bearing looked like:

Compared with a new regular two-way bearing from a Scrambler 1000:

This is my home made version of the tools needed to disassemble the primary clutch to replace the one way bearing.
the one way bearing is located right at the heart of the primary clutch, right next to the fixed shieve in the picture above. You can see mine looks burned.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would start by disconnecting the linkage and see if you can shift it at the transmission to get it off the trailer and inside.
Have unhooked the linkage and even rocked it back and forth and still wont come out of gear. Its been covered with a tarp. not in the weather except when i am looking at it or working on it. Im going to leave it the way it is and save my pennies to get a clutch kit and a new belt and then tear down and she if that fixes the problem. Hoping its not internal.Ill keep you posted on what i find. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Ok, before I spent a lot of money, I would pull the belt off and try again. It will give you a little more freedom with the secondary clutch to move the trans gears. Taking the belt of will eliminate them as the source and tell you if the problem is inside the trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, before I spent a lot of money, I would pull the belt off and try again. It will give you a little more freedom with the secondary clutch to move the trans gears. Taking the belt of will eliminate them as the source and tell you if the problem is inside the trans.
weather permitting this weekend i will give it a try. It cant hurt to try and ill be that much closer to have it taken apart.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I second that idea. Take the clutch cover off so you can rotate the secondary clutch by hand. On my 850 it was only a few degrees rotation on the secondary between not shifting and shifting smoothly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had hard shifting on my 850 since new. It got worse and worse until the engine had to be turned off to shift, also my belt started to squeal. I replaced the one-way bearing in the primary clutch and realigned the clutches and my issue was fixed. You may have something else going on but this was my issue. I would check the clutches before tearing into the transmission. When idling IN NUTRAL the belt should NOT be rotating. Maybe just barely moving. If its moving it will make the trans very difficult to shift. When IN GEAR if the belt is trying to move it will bind up the transmission gears and cause difficult shifting. Similar to a manual shift transmission. With the engine off you might be able to rock the ATV back and forth to release the gear tension and get it to shift.

This is what my one-way bearing looked like:

Compared with a new regular two-way bearing from a Scrambler 1000: View attachment 136550 View attachment 136551
This is my home made version of the tools needed to disassemble the primary clutch to replace the one way bearing. View attachment 136552 the one way bearing is located right at the heart of the primary clutch, right next to the fixed shieve in the picture above. You can see mine looks burned.
What is the size of pipe and rod that you used to make your tool?

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
I don't remember, but I'll pull the tool out and measure next time I'm in the shop. If I had to guess I'd say the pipe was 3" and the rods were about 5/8th but 1/2 would probably be fine. I've also seen people use like "3.5-4" pipe and notch the pipe for the clutch spider to fit into. Also I just welded a 1/2" drive cheap socket onto it so I could use a ratchet on it.

Here's a link to the discussion that I made about dissembling the primary clutch.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
The pipe I used is 3.5" diameter pipe and the rods are 5/8th. I also reccomend converting the one way bearing to a regular two way bearing. Just order the bearing for a scrambler 1000. The engine breaking still works exactly the same down to about 5mph with the regular bearing. Then below that it will let the bike coast. A blip of throttle re activates the ebs. The one way bearing seems to fail a little more often and I don't like the super aggressive ebs anyway.

·
9,195 Posts
Hello.
I have a 2015 Polaris 850. I was driving it along the trails a few weeks ago and got to a spot where I had to turn around. I tried to put the bike in reverse but it didn't want to go, so I gave it a good tug and ended up stripping the bell crank. I managed to get it back into gear and drove home. I put on a new bell crank, thinking that would fix the problem, but when I tried to back out of the garage I realized it will not shift into Reverse or Park. Shifts through Neutral, Low and High just fine.

Not sure whats going on. Anybody have or know of a similar experience? The bike has less than 1000 miles on it.

Also, I noticed the foot break doesn't seem to be working either, probably not related but also an issue.
OP, your thread sorta got taken off on a tangent with everyone talking about clutches. I DO NOT think that is your problem at all from your description of what the machine is doing.
There was a thread a couple years back in which a guy with a machine like yours had issues with the shifting mechanism, shift shaft or shift forks. I don't remember exactly which part it was but he posted pictures and things of what it took to fix it if you can find it with the search function. I'll look to see if I can locate it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts