Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I own a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 (I bought it new) and I'm in the market for either atv. I have taken my 500 out on trails, it does okay but just doesn't have the power that I really need. I ride on sand and other trails, it's really a mixture of just about everything besides swamps (including mud, dirt, grass, deep water, sand, etc). I can't decide which atv will be better for me, my main use for this will be mudding and heavy duty trails. I love both quads but the sportsman is a hefty 822lbs while the scrambler is 745 lbs. The sportsman has 88 hp while the scrambler has 89 horsepower (same motor just different exhaust..that's why it suffers 1 hp difference; I think). I know that both quads are totally different, but I can't decide between the two:bam:

I want something that has the big bore power and is for me, the sportsman is 1,300 cheaper than the scrambler but I'm kinda leaning towards the scrambler...any thoughts?

I want the one that has good pick up on the line, great low end torque, has good mid range power, someting that can handle a lot of mud and water (without snorkel kit which I'll probably upgrade later on) and something that is the most reliable.

Give me your thoughts and opinions please, thank you!:)
- Andrew

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the scrambler is what you want. I think they would both have the same low end torque and mid range. For mudding the scrambler would probably be better. I just got the Sportsman 1000 will have it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage in the forest.
Hmm, okay thank you for your answer. Yeah I'm kinda thinking the scrambler is the one I want now to lol. Tell me how your voyage goes with the sportsman 1000, please:) Have you driven it yet? Just curious haha,

·
Registered
278 Posts
No,, have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No have not had a chance to ride it yet. I am currently in urban city can't rider here. Will be in the mountains tomorrow so I hope to get a ride in by afternoon. I currently have a 700 & 850, all are sportsman models. I need the utility way more than I need a scrambler for my riding needs.
Ohh okay, cool. Yeah I see what you're saying, I already have a sportsman for work but I guess the scrambler is for my needs haha. Have fun tomorrow riding, bet that 1000 will hall some a$$ haha. Thank you,
- Andrew

·
Registered
49 Posts
these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
First off, Snorkel it. don't wait do it right away. you plan on mudding it. call it insurance on a 6 figure investment.

Second. you could save some money and get the 850 and still have more than enough power for your desired needs. getting the 1k just gets you bragging rights (for now).

as for the two, it really depends on one simple thing. what do you want to take with you? if you can fit it on the scrambler, than get that. If you can't, than get the sportsman. at the end of the day it all depends on what you want. not what anyone else wants.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Do you care about getting muddy and drenched and do you need the rack space? Answer those and you have your quad. You can get fender flares for the scrambler but at that point why not just get the sportsman? And make no mistake about it, you will be drenched and covered on the scrambker

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
these two aren't two totally different quads like some seem to think. as for the mechanical differences, they are built on the same chassis and have the same motor. mechanically, i believe they are identical minus the exhaust and clutching. the difference in weight that you are seeing is due to the body and the fact that the sportsman 1000 comes standard with a 2500Lb. winch. you mentioned mud/water and trails which tells me you'll be much better off with the sportsman as it offers much better mud protection than the scrambler does. if you're doing mud/water you'll definitely need a winch as well which is standard on the sportsman whereas you'll end up spending even more money to add one if you were to buy the scrambler. the scrambler also offers very little in storage/rack space compared to the sportsman.most trail/mud riders are always packing extra stuff which will be an issue if you were to go with the scrambler.

if you do any night riding, also take note that the sportsman has the third headlight while the scrambler does not. another thing to consider is that the scrambler comes with the most terrible tire to ever come on an atv. lol! the carlisle 489 IIs that come on the scrambler are only 4 ply and very prone to flats. they also don't seem to wear too good. the carlisle PXTs that come on the sportsman have a 6 ply rating and seem to last longer over the 489 IIs. i will say that the scrambler does come with led lightning but at the price of led light bars these days, you can easily pick one up off amazon or ebay for roughly $70 and it will offer a hell of a lot more light than the stock scrambler. the biggest edge the scrambler DOES have is the Fox shocks but polaris does offer them as an upgrade and they can be found below the retail price for just under $1000. it also doesn't have engine braking which some love and others do not. i personally prefer the engine braking of the sportsman.

when thinking about it, you could buy the sportsman, add a clutch kit and the fox shocks and you'll have a much better machine for the same amount of money than if you were to buy the scrambler. ;-)
Well yeah, I see what you're saying. I really don't need the rack space though, I could just carry a backpack. I love the looks of the sportsman but it weighs more though it has a winch, etc so I'm not sure. I'm going to be doing some hardcore mudding, can the sportsman take it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off, Snorkel it. don't wait do it right away. you plan on mudding it. call it insurance on a 6 figure investment.

Second. you could save some money and get the 850 and still have more than enough power for your desired needs. getting the 1k just gets you bragging rights (for now).

as for the two, it really depends on one simple thing. what do you want to take with you? if you can fit it on the scrambler, than get that. If you can't, than get the sportsman. at the end of the day it all depends on what you want. not what anyone else wants.
So they make snorkels for the sportsman 1000 or scrambler 1000? I can't make my own so the only why to get own is buying it lol. I'm not going to be taking much at all, maybe a small backpack but that's it..nothing crazy.
I know this is a polaris forum but what about the can-am renegade 1000 Xxc? How does that really compare to the scrambler 1000?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you care about getting muddy and drenched and do you need the rack space? Answer those and you have your quad. You can get fender flares for the scrambler but at that point why not just get the sportsman? And make no mistake about it, you will be drenched and covered on the scrambker
I don't really care about getting muddy, I got drenched on my 500 last weekend. I went in a 3 foot deep puddle and I was soaked but the hot sun dried everything pretty fast. I honestly don't need that much rack space, if I need to pull something then I can use my 500:cowboy:

What about the Can-am Renegade 1000 Xxc?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have been researching the polaris sportsman, scrambler, and the can-am renegade.
So it comes down to this, which atv is best for what I'm going to do. I will be doing mudding and a lot of trails (sand, dirt, etc). As far as I heard, the polaris scrambler has a "soft" feeling when pulling of the line at full power and I also heard that the Can-am hit's you hard off the line so that's what is making me confused. I'm sure with a clutch change and all of that then it'll make the polaris hit harder but how much does the QSC clutch kit cost?
I like the sportsman, great quad but the suspension sucks stock (at least for jumping) and I know you can upgrade to better shocks but still, it weighs more, etc.
It's down to these two and only quads:
- Polaris Scrambler 1000 XP
- Can-am Renegade 1000 Xxc
What do you guys think about the renegade?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have been researching the polaris sportsman, scrambler, and the can-am renegade.
So it comes down to this, which atv is best for what I'm going to do. I will be doing mudding and a lot of trails (sand, dirt, etc). As far as I heard, the polaris scrambler has a "soft" feeling when pulling of the line at full power and I also heard that the Can-am hit's you hard off the line so that's what is making me confused. I'm sure with a clutch change and all of that then it'll make the polaris hit harder but how much does the QSC clutch kit cost?
I like the sportsman, great quad but the suspension sucks stock (at least for jumping) and I know you can upgrade to better shocks but still, it weighs more, etc.
My buddy has a 2014 Rene 1000xxc. It is a beast. It hits a LOT harder on the bottom then my 2014 850. The Rene is much more aggressive..it rides firmer and is meant to be pushed hard. The shocks on it are a step above anything polaris uses on its quads as the rene has the rc2 fox shocks with separate low and hi speed compression adjustment (this is huge if you ride hard). I felt the Rene was rough around the edges when I rode his...but the harder you push it, the better it gets. I cant imagine a full STM clutch on the Rene (as hard as it hits now). I havent driven a polaris 1000 yet to compare

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
why can't you make your own snorkel? it's not rocket science. it's just time consuming.

as for if the sportsman can handle the mud, if the scrambler can, the sportsman can. it's that simple.

to be honest, you sound like a sport quad rider who wants to get into the deep stuff. so I'd go scrambler over sportsman if I were you. I tend to ride more deliberately and avoid the extra deep stuff, and if I can come home and not have to shower or warm up I'm a happy camper, so for me it's sportsman. but to each their own.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why can't you make your own snorkel? it's not rocket science. it's just time consuming.

as for if the sportsman can handle the mud, if the scrambler can, the sportsman can. it's that simple.

to be honest, you sound like a sport quad rider who wants to get into the deep stuff. so I'd go scrambler over sportsman if I were you. I tend to ride more deliberately and avoid the extra deep stuff, and if I can come home and not have to shower or warm up I'm a happy camper, so for me it's sportsman. but to each their own.
Well I've never made my own snorkel, I guess it's possible but I'm just afraid I'll screw up something and water will get in something. Yeah I'm a sporty quad rider, although I'm kinda thinking about getting the renegade now:ponder:

I kinda like the idea that the renegade pulls off harder, I rather have the low end torque that the renegade puts out. Now of course I could put a clutch kit on the polaris but It'll still not have the pull of the renegade. What would you get if you were me?? lol sorry to ask.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My buddy has a 2014 Rene 1000xxc. It is a beast. It hits a LOT harder on the bottom then my 2014 850. The Rene is much more aggressive..it rides firmer and is meant to be pushed hard. The shocks on it are a step above anything polaris uses on its quads as the rene has the rc2 fox shocks with separate low and hi speed compression adjustment (this is huge if you ride hard). I felt the Rene was rough around the edges when I rode his...but the harder you push it, the better it gets. I cant imagine a full STM clutch on the Rene (as hard as it hits now). I havent driven a polaris 1000 yet to compare
So would you personally say to get the renegade 1000 instead of the scrambler? As of right now, I can not decided which one is better. Even though the polaris has more horsepower, I'm sure it's possbile to upgrade the engine on the rene and it'll gain 10hp..especially with an exhaust mod..the Rene has 972cc while the polaris only has 952 (or something like that) but I think it's possible to make the Rene more powerful.
Renegade:
pros:
+ Looks much better tbh
+ Weighs less
+ Better clutch
+ Better Shocks
Cons:
- Less Horsepower (this can be improved very easily)
- To much foot room on the foot boards
Polaris:
pros:
+ A lot of power (not that significant over the can-am)
+ Better stock tires for mud
Cons:
- Looks ugly..really the can-am looks better

So..those are the only things making me not decide. I am starting to lean towards the Renegade, I heard there much more tougher and can handle the abuse even with a lot of hours on it. Don't ge me wrong though, polaris is tough. My 500 is very reliable but when it comes to big bore power, I think can-am wins in ways:banana:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well yeah, I see what you're saying. I really don't need the rack space though, I could just carry a backpack. I love the looks of the sportsman but it weighs more though it has a winch, etc so I'm not sure. I'm going to be doing some hardcore mudding, can the sportsman take it?
i think you are failing to realize that there is really not much of a difference between the sportsman and the scrambler by asking if the sportsman can take hard core mudding as opposed to the scrambler. not only can it take it just as good but it will be better for mudding as it does come with the winch. it would be silly to not have a winch installed if you plan on doing hard core mudding. you also keep referring to the weight difference but there really isn't going to be much of a difference in the weight between the two if you were to add a winch to the scrambler.

as for the renegade, it definitely has more bottom end snap than either polaris but it also rides stiff compared to the polaris. at the end of the day, you'll feel more beat up from riding the renegade compared to the polaris, even if it were the non-fox shock version. i've also never been a fan of can am's visco lok 4wd system but it apparently works for some. i won't get into details but you can google "visco lok problems" if you are interested in reading up on it.

at the end of the day, the sportsman is much better suited for the mud over the scrambler but if you are leaning to going with can am, i would check out the Outlandler X MR 1000 instead of the renegade as it already comes set up for extreme mudding or hold off to see if polaris releases the rumored Highlifter Edition sportsman later this year/early next year.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If you're doing any real mudding, you're going to upgrade your tires on either machine anyway, so I wouldnt let that sway you one way or the other. They're both so similar (Scrambler and Rene), its really just going to come down to preference. Get an OTD price for both, check out some available mods/upgrades for both, get to know the dealers for both, see what your gut tells you. You're going to wind up with a killer machine either way. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts