Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2015 Sportsman XP1000 and I an having heating issues with it. The fan kicks in and shuts off at the proper temperature and I am running Evans waterless coolant.
The really odd thing is if I am just trail riding and staying at low speeds it stays cool and is fine. When I get on an open road or field and go above 50 km's it will heat up in 5-10 minutes.
When I stop and leave it idle the fan runs and it goes back to normal operating temperature.
The radiator is clean and I keep it washed out with a garden hose.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,032 Posts
Dirty rad.... I know you wash it with a garden hose, trust me, dirty rad. Use Nu-calgon 4291-08 Nu-brite to clean the rad and then see if it's still acting up. Also you may want to change out your thermostat and flush your cooling system while you are at it.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
The only way to properly clean a radiator is to take it out or at the minimum remove the front plastics to get access to it

Reactions: Gmartino100

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Also try burning the system!!

Edit: LOL " BURPING"

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
G - because of FPD comments, is there reason you like Nu-calgon 4291-08 Nu-brite? I just use the prestone crap but always looking for something better because I don't want to do what FPD suggests...
I'm always looking for something for automatic burbing

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,032 Posts
The Nu-brite is an external foaming cleaner. You spray it on and in the fins and it foams up pushing out the dirt that is caked on in the cooling fins. It’s a cheaper alternative to removing the rad, but does not do as good of a job as actually removing it. But it is better than just hitting it with water. I don’t know of any Prestone product that is used for external cleaning.

If you’ve recently serviced the rad, then burping the system could be the issue. But if you haven’t done anything and it was working fine and now isn’t, likely just a dirty rad. It’s hard to get to all the nooks and crannies on those machines and the fan shroud makes things even more difficult.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
Here is how to properly burb it.
Wheel Sky Tire Plant Car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts