Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
2016 450HO has an intermittent problem. Starts fine, put in high, will go a few feet, and shut off. It has done this 5 times in a row, Stalls, starts right up, go a few feet, stalls. Repeat. then it started and ran fine. It will be ok for a while, then it will happen again. It is a new problem; I'm not sure if it only happens when it is cold. The unit is at a Polaris dealer now, was in for fluid changes, etc. They can't get it to repeat the problem yet. Any ideas?

Would love for it to happen while it is in the shop.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Adjust the throttle cable first. Make sure the battery and charging system are operating correctly, battery terminals are tight?!?!? Test fuel pump pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it also stall in Low range? Reverse?
The Polaris shop thinks this was caused by a bad spark plug. Fuel pump pressure, battery all good. That said, they could not get the problem to repeat. With it fully serviced, I'll be taking it back out to the middle of nowhere. If it repeats, I'll take better notes.
Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
I’d run it “closer to somewhere” first. Dealership “thinks” it was a bad plug sounds like what you have to say to justify the bill you got. Dealership’s always say “we couldn’t get it to repeat”. My interpretation is they couldn’t figure it out.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
I had a similar problem on my CRF - had to run about about 1/2 mile and only stalled on deceleration for a tight turn and was slightly hard to restart when hot (started fine cold) - the spark plug is $45 so I ran the original plug for 8 years - I carried a spare plug, but didn't routinely replace it - changing it requires removing the bolted on seat and the fuel tank, but when the problem occurred, I first thought it might be fuel, when I ruled out fuel I changed the plug and that solved the problem. In my ATV's, the plugs are only about $5, so they get changed yearly and sometimes more often - I also carry a spare just in case.

If they serviced it first, indeed the problem may be gone.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Hopefully it is the plug. I’d still feel better running close to home some before heading to “ middle of nowhere”. o_O

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
How far can you drive into the Forrest before you start coming out the other side?

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
Personally I try not to drive/ride into anything. Mainly I drive/ride on things. So technically do I ride on the forest, idk these are the things that I ponder!!!

Reactions: Sprotsman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts