Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting

Hood Blue Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2016 Polaris sportsman 450. There has been a few issues I’m looking to solve.

Issue 1: About a month into having it, the check engine light popped on and showed code 0 84 which I figured associated to the speedometer that does not work. I replaced the speed sensor based on limited research and it did not solve the light going off or the speedometer working. I ignored it after that.

Issue 2: At month 2, it developed an issue starting (acted like a dead battery and would start with jumper box) I ended up replacing the battery, which didn’t solve it. Decided to go for the starter and solenoid next. Replace the starter and it solved the problem. Althohen I opened up the front panel where the solenoid is located, I noticed this “pulse power plug” that was bypassed. I took the wire out and machine wouldn’t turn over. I can’t find any place where this might plug into.

I’ve included a couple pictures attached that show the wire. It is Red / Orange. I’ve been trying to do research but can’t find anything related to it. Has anyone experienced any of these issues or can shed some light to put me in the right direction? Wondering if there is a correlation between the 2 problems.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jordan

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for reaching out. After further investigation, it seems you’re right. It is a red / brown wire. I guess the question is, where do this plug into? I’m assuming it would go up to the brake lever so maybe something was cut off?

Much appreciated!

Motor vehicle Hood Blue Automotive tire Automotive exterior

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can’t thank you enough for your help. That switch is hidden pretty good behind the harness. I
Plugged it back in and it did not work. Are there any other tests that can be done on that switch before I go ahead and order another one? Thanks again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Latebird. I went ahead and ordered the switch. Crossing my fingers that it solves the issue.

Circling back to the light 0 84 2. I read some previous posts that you answered regarding this issue and you suggested to replace the speed sensor. I did this previously and it did not solve the problem. I read your suggestion that it most likely is a defective sensor so I ordered another one just in case this was the problem.

If this doesn’t resolve it, is there anything else you suggest to diagnose? Thanks so much.

Jordan

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can’t thank you enough for your help. Replaced the brake switch this morning and it solved the issue. The check engine light also went off and speedometer is now working. I did not think that they were correlated, but they must have been in some sort of fashion. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts