Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all! Hoping for some assistance. Have a 2016 Sportsman 850. Went for about a 40 mile drive in the mountains yesterday, say 20 up and the latter 20 heading back down. It was all downhill close to the truck. Was intermittently throttling and using the hill descent feature to maintain about 30 mph. Started running rough and backfiring and eventually quit running altogether. Had to go into neutral and coast to the truck. Got home and today I charged the battery up and checked air filter. Will not start unless I squirt a small amount of starting fluid in the intake. Dies once the fluid burns out. Any thoughts? I am not too familiar with the maintenance and have no idea where the fuel filter might be. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly.

You will be given more advice than you could ever hope for

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,084 Posts
Your fuel pump has gone out. You can rent or borrow a fuel pressure tester at any automobile parts store hook it up to the fuel rail service checkpoint you need 58 PSI of pressure in the fuel rail

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,773 Posts
What he said ^^^^

Reactions: FPD218

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking you are correct. Put new plugs in (because it was time) and they didn't look bad. Swapped relays around hoping it would be something simple but that did nothing. Tried listening for the fuel pump when first turning key on and can't hear anything. Will try the pump. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took a while to get to it but eventually got around to tearing into the wheeler. Replaced fuel pump this afternoon and she fired right up! Thank you all for your help! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts