Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new so thank you for your patience. I have a 2016 Sportsman 450 that won't crank. When I turn the key over nothing happens, no clicking, no cranking, no nothing. But with the key in the run position or on position, when I jump the starter solenoid it starts fine and runs perfectly. Here is what I've done
Verified brake is on and the run/stops which is in the run position
Verified good battery connected correctly and bought a new battery just to verify.
Changed out starter solenoid
Changed out ignition switch
Checked all fuses and relays (in the fuse box), they are good
Circuit breaker has continuity, I removed it and jumped the two post with the wire still nothing.
The run/stop swhich appears to be working because it runs fine when I jump the starter solenoid.

I bought this bike 2 weeks ago not starting so I don't know the history, but it has 95 miles and 34 hours. I am out of ideas, if anyone has seen this before or knows what I'm missing I would love to hear about it.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like the brake interlock , on the starter solenoid there is 2 small wires , one should be brown / white { I'm going from a 2014 wiring diagram } , unplug it and put a jumper from the solenoid to ground , if it works your problem is the brake switch .

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ahhhh

Little situation I had with my 2012 500 Sporty.

I have a slide red kill button. Sometimes, mine won’t crank either. So I slid the red kill button thru all 3 positions, left right and placed it in the center “run” position, turned the key, whalla, ignition.

Now mine showed no dash illumination either. Not sure if yours does or not ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thank you for the ideas. I forgot to put in my original post that I always have power to the instrument pod w the key in the run position. I tried cycling the off/run switch with no luck. Yooper265, just to make sure I did it correctly, I disconnected the two small wires coming off the starter solenoid from their plugin and jumped from the solenoid to the frame..is that correct? I tried both post and a piece of metal off of the solenoid w no luck.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi, thank you for the ideas. I forgot to put in my original post that I always have power to the instrument pod w the key in the run position. I tried cycling the off/run switch with no luck. Yooper265, just to make sure I did it correctly, I disconnected the two small wires coming off the starter solenoid from their plugin and jumped from the solenoid to the frame..is that correct? I tried both post and a piece of metal off of the solenoid w no luck.
No , you only take one of the wires off , the other wire is the positive from the keyswitch - you need that one on the solenoid .

·
Registered
486 Posts
Have you checked to see if the brake lights are working ? They are on the same circuit as the starter interlock . If the brake lights don't work the problem is your brake switch .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I checked and I don’t be appear to have brake lights. I am going to look and see if I can find the brake switch and replace it. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Find the brake light switch (it's hydraulic and apparently only on the front brake system - unplug it and short the wires together - that should turn on the brake light and maybe then the starter will work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I found that brake switch, got the front plastics of and pulled it and blew it out then put it back. Brake lights now work and it cranks with the key!!! Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yooper265

Great job in helping a brother out.

Fantastic!

I don’t have the safety brake deal on my newest Polaris which is a 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am new so thank you for your patience. I have a 2016 Sportsman 450 that won't crank. When I turn the key over nothing happens, no clicking, no cranking, no nothing. But with the key in the run position or on position, when I jump the starter solenoid it starts fine and runs perfectly. Here is what I've done
Verified brake is on and the run/stops which is in the run position
Verified good battery connected correctly and bought a new battery just to verify.
Changed out starter solenoid
Changed out ignition switch
Checked all fuses and relays (in the fuse box), they are good
Circuit breaker has continuity, I removed it and jumped the two post with the wire still nothing.
The run/stop swhich appears to be working because it runs fine when I jump the starter solenoid.

I bought this bike 2 weeks ago not starting so I don't know the history, but it has 95 miles and 34 hours. I am out of ideas, if anyone has seen this before or knows what I'm missing I would love to hear about it.
Thanks in advance
i am having the same problem, the brake lites don't come on when u apply the hand or foot break, if the brake lites don't work there is a problem with power to the brake lite switch, connection or that is a hydraulic switch, if the switch is bad and want close your contacts in the switch, your not gonna engage the solenoid for the starter to crank over the machine, I can squeeze the hand brake so hard I can't move it anymore, may work may not, I keep doing it till the switch finally closes the contacts for the solenoid to activate. maybe this will help someone with the same issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so I found that brake switch, got the front plastics of and pulled it and blew it out then put it back. Brake lights now work and it cranks with the key!!! Thanks again for all the help!
Where is the brake light switch located exactly? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Up front on the bulk head.

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Yup just below and behind it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts