Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Sportsman 450 HO which I am thinking has a bad Stator. I normally test this by simply starting it then disconnecting a battery cable, and if it still runs, I consider the stator good. My ATV failed this test so I am wanting to test the stator the "CORRECT" way be taking voltage and resistance measurements. Problem is, I cannot find what the parameters are for the resistance and voltage measurements. Does any know where I can find these so that I can try and get this thing up and running. Owners manual has nothing except that it is a 660 Watt stator. Also, any other tips or recommendations trying to diagnose this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Stacey

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Removing the battery cable while running can fry the CDI and burn out lights - DON'T DO IT!

Testing the stator is simple and you don't need specs.

First check continuity - between each pole of the stator (three wires of the same color) don't fret over the actual resistance unless there is a huge discrepancy - any continuity resistance between 0 and 10 is probably OK - if 2 poles are 5 ohms and one is zero, there might be a problem (it will be verified later) - next check continuity between each pole and ground - should be infinite (OL) and if there is continuity to ground on one pole there will be continuity on all three poles - any continuity to ground indicates a faulty stator. With the continuity test out of the way, test for voltage - start the engine, set the meter for at least 100 volts AC - at idle voltage could be anything between 10 and 30 - more importantly, voltage at 3000 or greater RPM should be 35 to perhaps over 90 volts AC - now the most important part of the test; plug the stator into the rec/reg, start the engine and rev to about 3000 RPM - AC voltage on between any two of the three same colored wires should be over 28 volts and the higher the better.

If the stator passes the above tests and you get a maximum of 14.8 volts DC across the battery terminals, the charging system is working. A final test is to switch the meter to AC volts while connected to the battery terminals - the reading should be random - if it displays a constant voltage on AC you may have either a defective stator or rectifier. The rectifier can be tested with an ohmmeter, but the regulator has to be tested with the charging system working and a fully charged battery installed. To verify the regulator function, run the engine at a steady 3000 RPM. The battery voltage should rise to 14.8, discharge to 13.? then climb to 14.8 and decline again - this demonstrates the regulator is cutting in and out to keep the battery charged without over charging.

I have the 2017 service manual in PDF - if you would like a copy, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. Be sure to remind me in the PM which manual you are requesting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts