Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '16 570 that stranded me on the mountains this last weekend... I ended up getting towed 20 miles over 2.5 hours out of the most nasty terrain in the dark. I will forever be in debt to the guy who yanked me out.

Quad started sputtering, and then I had no power to the ground. It was all of a sudden going well and then boom, a loud pop and then everything went nuts. I turned off the quad and then restart and it would start up but when giving throttle would pop and die. I was able to make it about 10 feet under serious duress and with almost no power and then it would die. I would get a huge backfire that would come up through the airbox every once in a while when I was trying to get it working. Nothing like a jolt to the junk from that.

The thing has 481 miles and 38.5 hours on it. I always keep the battery on a tender and it would turn over just fine. Even after getting it home and back fully charged up it would do the same thing.

I've suspected the fuel pump as something not perfect - when it is hot when riding for a while it will do the high pitched scream whine thing even when running. Now I can't hear the fuel pump except on initial key to the on position and then it stops when pressure is built up.

I figured a video is worth a million words of explanation - so here is a short one.

https://youtu.be/l7iqmFFI3X8

I'm out of warranty by a few months so I would like to attempt to figure this out before forking over a huge amount of cash to the dealer. I would appreciate any ideas on where to start on this one...

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
958 Posts
Did it blow the air filter or any boots off from all this popping?
Are there any codes displayed normally or when you scroll through the gauge functions?

I hear gas getting to hot from the engine/exhaust can cause some issues. When I broke mine and rented a 570 in Colorado over the summer, the rental folks there say they run premium ethanol free since they had some kind of issue with just regular gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it blow the air filter or any boots off from all this popping?
Are there any codes displayed normally or when you scroll through the gauge functions?

I hear gas getting to hot from the engine/exhaust can cause some issues. When I broke mine and rented a 570 in Colorado over the summer, the rental folks there say they run premium ethanol free since they had some kind of issue with just regular gas.
Nope - nothing blown off that I can find. No codes displayed.

Pump gas should affect the bike after this little usage... the number of people using normal pump gas have to be significant. It was fairly cold where I was riding - snow in the mountains.
JP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay - dropped it off at the dealer and it is indeed the fuel pump that went bad. Under 40 hours and less than 500 miles and less than 1 year old seems outrageous to me that it would go out and I have to pay for the repair. Part costs $420 for the fuel pump!!!! Not including labor.

I am seriously angry.
Jon

·
Registered
958 Posts
I don't know if dealers would do it or not, but you can probably run a fuel pump available from an auto parts store for under $100, instead of buying the whole tank assembly from Polaris. Don't know part numbers but other value line models have found compatible pumps.
Pay them for their time and pick it up if you can.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't know if dealers would do it or not, but you can probably run a fuel pump available from an auto parts store for under $100, instead of buying the whole tank assembly from Polaris. Don't know part numbers but other value line models have found compatible pumps.
Pay them for their time and pick it up if you can.
OP, if you are mechanically inclined enough, I am pretty sure you can pull the pump yourself and find the matching model on eBay for less than $100 and replace it yourself. If memory serves me correctly, I believe it is a Bosch pump and easily found for a lot less than the dealer is charging. Might have to do a little digging (searching) through the forums here, but I remember someone else doing it themselves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright - I talked to Polaris and I wouldn't accept the "there is nothing we can do" response from their customer service people. I requested to speak to the supervisor and we had a nice chat. He recommended I ask the dealer to open a tech case and submit it to Polaris. I just heard that the work would be approved and covered. They are ordering the part now and I should get my bike back later next week.

I am happy that Polaris is taking care of this.
Jon

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd guess either the TPS (throttle position sensor) or the throttle cable free play (ETC switch) is out of adjustment....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a '16 570 that stranded me on the mountains this last weekend... I ended up getting towed 20 miles over 2.5 hours out of the most nasty terrain in the dark. I will forever be in debt to the guy who yanked me out.

Quad started sputtering, and then I had no power to the ground. It was all of a sudden going well and then boom, a loud pop and then everything went nuts. I turned off the quad and then restart and it would start up but when giving throttle would pop and die. I was able to make it about 10 feet under serious duress and with almost no power and then it would die. I would get a huge backfire that would come up through the airbox every once in a while when I was trying to get it working. Nothing like a jolt to the junk from that.

The thing has 481 miles and 38.5 hours on it. I always keep the battery on a tender and it would turn over just fine. Even after getting it home and back fully charged up it would do the same thing.

I've suspected the fuel pump as something not perfect - when it is hot when riding for a while it will do the high pitched scream whine thing even when running. Now I can't hear the fuel pump except on initial key to the on position and then it stops when pressure is built up.

I figured a video is worth a million words of explanation - so here is a short one.

I'm out of warranty by a few months so I would like to attempt to figure this out before forking over a huge amount of cash to the dealer. I would appreciate any ideas on where to start on this one...

Thanks
Jon
WHAT WAS THE FIX TO THE PROBLEM?
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts