Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
whatever they come out with how about focusing on increasing the quality and reliability? bushings and joints and a arms specifically.

Also, if maintaining the "le" theme, why not put real fox shocks with separate h/l compression adjustments on them? Tighten up the slop in the front end with higher quality parts and compliment it with real shocks = a nice aggressive riding trail machine

Finally the demise of the XP chassis is surely coming..it is getting dated and the move to Pro Star engines is going to necessitate a chassis redesign...be interesting to see what they come up with

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Put a "T" on the gear selector to help folks understand which transmission gear is recommended to haul their machine in a truck or trailer. Not everyone reads the manual...
Rather thsn idiot proof them, they could do a dvd to go along with the manual.
My XP came with a DVD, couldnt tell you whats on it, but i still have it.

If you dont read your manual, than that is your fault. Why should they add that cost to production beacuase someone is too lazy to look through their manual, that they have provided, before you use the machine?

Gtsum2- do you think the XP chassis will go away, or will they move it to the value position or an "SP" frame and make a new XP frame.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Put a "T" on the gear selector to help folks understand which transmission gear is recommended to haul their machine in a truck or trailer. Not everyone reads the manual...
Rather thsn idiot proof them, they could do a dvd to go along with the manual.

If you dont read your manual, than that is your fault. Why should they add that cost to production beacuase someone is too lazy to look through their manual, that they have provided, before you use the machine?

Gtsum2- do you think the XP chassis will go away, or will they move it to the value position or an "SP" frame and make a new XP frame.
Good question and I have no idea. I would think if they moved the xp to the "value line" and used a new chassis for the higher end they would likely lose a lot of customers in the 5-7k range. I wouldnt think they would want to price themselves out of the lower cost quads, but who knows? It will be interesting to see how they shoe horn a prostar 900 or 1000 motor into a quad..unless they come out with brand new engines, but that seems to be redundant, no??

·
Registered
966 Posts
The 850 and 952 are already designed specifically for the XP chassis, if they try to squeeze in a 900 or 1K the seat width would probably get wider (they seem to like promoting this point) and in the process of cramming in those motors the air flow will probably be different from the RZR reducing the actual increase in ponies.

The 850 has been around for awhile, maybe it will stick around for a long time like the 500 motor did.

A three cylinder turbo diesel sportsman would be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I guess i was assuming that the price of the VL wouldnt increase anymore than it usually does. If it were up to me, you would see a 650 Twin ETX,SP,&ACE. along with a 325ETX. the SP would then eb 570/650/850or900. and then an XP line with the850/900 & 1000, which should be built completely different and much stronger.

from what Rick Cecco said yesterday, the WV has a heavier duty suspension setup, maybe we could see that on the regular machines.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Used ATVs typically don't come with a manual, but that 10 seconds a salesman spent showing the new feature to a Customer becomes a selling point when they are ready to resell the machine. The idea is less about what you and I would do, and more about how Polaris could cheaply innovate an existing product and enhance the Customer experience.

Sadly, most people are more concerned with how a new set of mud tires look on their machine instead of maintenance or reading a manual.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The SP frame is essentially the XP frame. The XP and SP Monikers are just there to differentiate the high end model from the VL model. the XP being just the top dog at this point. It makes me laugh that people got so caught up in the XP moniker when they switched to the SP. the 850 SP is essentially the 850 XP with the only real addition being the close ratio AWD.

It's amazing to me also that people think that they would A, be able to make better choices based on terrain, and B, Be able to adjust something quicker than the existing AWD already does. The only complaint that I've got is that the rear can't be unlocked on most models. Turf mode should be standard on all models with IRS.

·
Registered
124 Posts
570 SP frame looks nothing like an XP chassis. It has double a arm suspension up front, but from the handle bars back it is basically a value line chassis. None of the removable sections like the XP chassis.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
that's a good thing. cause it means none of the cracking that the XP's were prone to have.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd like to see a midsize something come back, these new ATV's are getting BIG physically
I totally agree with that........As an owner of a Hawkeye and a Sportsman, I can honestly say that for the bulk of my riding, the Hawkeye is just a nice size 4x4. Great in tight woods. Of course....not much can stop the Sportsman.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The transverse engine mounting is the major difference between the SP and XP chassis. Unless they copy Can Am, they really cant improve the XP chassis.

The need to concentrate on improving the quality, for the bigger price, it is lacking.

Ditch the struts though...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
And yeah. i have compared an xp to the 570 sp. they are completely different. the sp frame looks like they just added upper a arm mounts to the VL frame. And im pretty sure there is room for 12 inch wheels on the sp.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
And yeah. i have compared an xp to the 570 sp. they are completely different. the sp frame looks like they just added upper a arm mounts to the VL frame. And im pretty sure there is room for 12 inch wheels on the sp.
Polaris is the only OEM OBSESSED with 14" wheels, really wish they would leave that choice to the owner of the quad.

·
Registered
826 Posts
-Turf mode on all models

-Sportsman Diesel. (must have glow plugs)

-Periodic Special Edition Sportsmans (before Popo had Ducks Edition, Dale Earnhardt Edition, Remmimgton Edition)(I'd like to see a "Tonka Edition", "Black Ops Edition", "Highlifter Edition")

-ACE 850

-Reintroduce the Magnum- the solid rear axle was much more stable than these corky IRS quads. And it would make a good value quad.

-Offer a foot shift value quad. Anyone remember the Xpedition?:)

-Bring back the recoil backup starter! For when it's winter and you're deep in the woods or ice and your starter goes "click-click-click-click", you aren't sol!;)

-Offer a seasonal ATTRACTIVE looking cab for us guys that do a lot of snow plowing and are freezing to death.

Tha, tha, that's all folks! :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Funny you mention the back up pull starts. I was just at Meijers tonight looking for a small pair of jumper cables for my rear box. Might be a good thing to have..

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Whoever said turf mode I say damn right !!!!

GIVE US CLOSE RATIO AWD and TURF MODE across the whole ATV lineup !!!

41 - 60 of 340 Posts