Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. What’s up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because it’s engaged.
Set hers to 4x2 and the fronts free wheel.
I was under the impression all sportsman’s were the same, like mine. It’s a big selling feature. 2017 isn’t that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m confused. My sister just brought home a 2017 570 sp. 200 miles on it. Power steering standard option.
Took it for a quick squirt on some tar. In 4x4 mode the front wheels are constantly engaged. What’s up with that? I have a 2018 utility and my 4by is automatic contingent on rear wheel spin. I can never feel the front fighting in a turn because it’s engaged.
I was under the impression all sportsman’s were the same, like mine. It’s a big selling feature. 2017 isn’t that old is it?
So did her machine come with full time 4by or is something wrong with it? Thanks in advance.
How do you know the front is engaged?

·
10,412 Posts
Sounds like its got a cage cracked making it stay locked in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like its got a cage cracked making it stay locked in.
What’s a cage?
It doesn’t stay locked in per se. Switch to two wheel and it is two wheeling. Seems the on demand is somehow broken and when you switch to 4x4 it’s constantly engaged in 4x4.
I’ve talked to two dealers and in my neck of the woods they aren’t very helpful. Let’s just say they have no clue about much of anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have two Sportsman quads: a 2014 570 and a 2017 850.

The 570 is either full time 4X4 or 2X4, while the newer 850 has the auto 4X4 and normal 2X4. I’ve seen newer 570s with the Auto 4X4.

Seems Polaris moved to the auto feature somewhere along the line...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a 2014 570 and leave the switch in 4x4 most of the time we ride. Mine is not locked in 4x4 at all times, only when the rear tires start to slip. I definitely know when, the steering is stiffer.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a base model 16 570 and was under the impression the 4x4 is similar to an AWD vehicle. If it detects slippage/a need it will engage, other wise you are running like 2WD.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a base model 16 570 and was under the impression the 4x4 is similar to an AWD vehicle. If it detects slippage/a need it will engage, other wise you are running like 2WD.
Thanks. I’ve come to the same conclusion. Now to figure out what could or would cause it? So far I’ve got nuthin. Lots of folk complaining the on demand won’t engage the fronts. Nothing on it’s unwillingness to disengage yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 2017 570 SP should have the high performance close ratio AWD system. It should, technically, disengage. Although, of the few times I've gone into AWD, I've felt it. And this was just testing it... it never really felt like it disengaged while in AWD mode. I didn't see it as a problem then. Not sure I see it as a problem now, either. I figured the close ratio was what was keeping it in AWD.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2017 570 SP should have the high performance close ratio AWD system. It should, technically, disengage. Although, of the few times I've gone into AWD, I've felt it. And this was just testing it... it never really felt like it disengaged while in AWD mode. I didn't see it as a problem then. Not sure I see it as a problem now, either. I figured the close ratio was what was keeping it in AWD.
Thanks Lon. Sounds like your machine is operating like my sisters.
I can understand not considering it a problem if you’ve never experienced different. Not saying you haven’t. Sounds like you seldom go into 4 wheel mode?
I’m just the opposite on my utility. Seldom take it out of 4 wheel because there’s no reason to. Fronts are totally disengaged unless it’s called for. To be honest I can’t tell the difference in steering force when they do engage. Never tried doing donuts on tar to see what would happen. It’s seldom on tar. Of course I use the fronts to get around tight slow corners when needed by blurping the throttle. Snow, mud it’s all there and ready to go. It’s just a nice smooth operation with light steering involved at all times.
I made sure to tell my sister to get a model with power steering so she wouldn’t be fighting the handlebars all the time. Having the front engaged constantly almost negates the benefit of having power steering unless you drive around in two wheel mode.
If nothing else I’ve discovered it’s not a new technology. It’s been around for a long time so I know it’s not just a different machine scenario as some mechanics have suggested.

·
10,412 Posts
Something isn't right. You should never hardly even notice or feel when the AWD engages or disengages no matter the machine or year model. The front is only supposed to pull when its NEEDED because the rears slip a little and then it disengages immediately as soon as the rear rotational speed matches the fronts. If its working right, you can run with the AWD switch turned on all the time and never notice it because the machine is still running in 2wd until there's a slip of the rears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Something isn't right. You should never hardly even notice or feel when the AWD engages or disengages no matter the machine or year model. The front is only supposed to pull when its NEEDED because the rears slip a little and then it disengages immediately as soon as the rear rotational speed matches the fronts. If its working right, you can run with the AWD switch turned on all the time and never notice it because the machine is still running in 2wd until there's a slip of the rears.
Exactly, fully agreed. Sis isn’t gonna be happy. I’m not a good enough atv mechanic to figure out what’s not correct. Just know it shouldn’t be that way
Took it for another little ride this morning because she needed it out of her garage and she knows nothing yet of operating it. After lunch today she gets her first lesson,,,,in 2wd only!!

A strange sale. A private sale but it was at a dealer. The guys friend. I talked to the salesman/mechanic about this and got nothing but excuses as to why the front should be constantly engaged when in 4x4. Won’t be willing or able to bring it back there. He and I are ready to go at it.
The wear and possibility of snapping an axle are another reason this is unacceptable. I can check the fluid for her but that’s about it. I’m not ripping into her machine.

poleman500 if you would. More questions. Today I noticed on her machine when switching into 4x4 the indicator lights show the fronts disengaged. As soon as you give a touch of throttle and move the lights change to locked. That’s a problem.
On my utility the indicators show locked all the time in AWD even though I know they are not. I consider this normal but,,,,,,,what do I know?
One more strange thing on both our indicators. The rear wheel indicators show one wheel solid and the other half lit.
I assume this is an indicator for turf mode but neither of our machines are equipped with that. Just a cutting of corners by Polaris on variants of indicators? I assume that’s what it is.
Thanks for the reply and help.

·
10,412 Posts
Drain/change the front gearcase fluid to see what it looks like and inspect for metal. Don't know if that'll help but it can't hurt. The newer style Hilliards are very sensitive to dirty oil. My new machine also has ADC and I use it pretty often since I ride a lot of vertical terrain. My Demand Drive fluid has been a little dark so I've decided to start changing mine EVERY engine oil change or 50 hours instead of my old habit of every other at 100 hours. It only holds a few ounces and I figure more frequent changes is just cheap insurance to catch and/or prevent problems before they occur.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Polaris AWD: 101

Base models - 20% ratio. meaning the rear wheels need to spin 20% faster for the front wheels to engage.

SP models - Close Ratio AWD - 4% ratio. meaning the rears need to spin 4% faster for the front to engage.

The base models and older XP/SP models have had the same system since the early 2000's I think 2005 but I could be wrong. if I remember right the Close ratio was brought in in 2016 or 2017.

there have been reports of the EPS not working when AWD is engaged on the close ratio models of the 570. otherwise you wouldn't feel the front's fighting the turning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drain/change the front gearcase fluid to see what it looks like and inspect for metal. Don't know if that'll help but it can't hurt. The newer style Hilliards are very sensitive to dirty oil. My new machine also has ADC and I use it pretty often since I ride a lot of vertical terrain. My Demand Drive fluid has been a little dark so I've decided to start changing mine EVERY engine oil change or 50 hours instead of my old habit of every other at 100 hours. It only holds a few ounces and I figure more frequent changes is just cheap insurance to catch and/or prevent problems before they occur.
Thanks. I plan on it. Mine is due anyway so I might as well hit em both. The dealer said it was all just done but there was mud in the air box. Couldn’t have gone over the machine that well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I plan on it. Mine is due anyway so I might as well hit em both. The dealer said it was all just done but there was mud in the air box. Couldn’t have gone over the machine that well.
Polaris AWD: 101

Base models - 20% ratio. meaning the rear wheels need to spin 20% faster for the front wheels to engage.

SP models - Close Ratio AWD - 4% ratio. meaning the rears need to spin 4% faster for the front to engage.

The base models and older XP/SP models have had the same system since the early 2000's I think 2005 but I could be wrong. if I remember right the Close ratio was brought in in 2016 or 2017.

there have been reports of the EPS not working when AWD is engaged on the close ratio models of the 570. otherwise you wouldn't feel the front's fighting the turning.
Thanks for the 101. Good to know. The only way to test I can think of is chuck a four wheeled dolly under the front and drive it forward a bit in a straight line. See if they spin in the air. Not sure there isn’t some friction involved that would make them spin anyway. Might have to have my sister creep it forward and I grab hold and see if I can stop them from spinning.

Bear with me here. On tar they shouldn’t be grabbing anyway from what I reckon. Maybe the turn is enough to set off the 4% ratio? If it is Polaris really screwed up. My utility works just fine at 20. Fixed a problem that didn’t exist :)
I think on tar if the fronts are engaged you’ll feel it even with EPS in a tight turn. Feels to me like if I turned sharp enough I could break the front end. EPS or not that just can’t be right. I would imagine some older quads that have full time 4 wheel must have acted/felt that way but I’m new to the scene.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
I can't feel resistance when turning with the AWD working with my EPS unit. I could with my Hawkeye.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Lon. Sounds like your machine is operating like my sisters.
I can understand not considering it a problem if you’ve never experienced different. Not saying you haven’t. Sounds like you seldom go into 4 wheel mode?
I’m just the opposite on my utility. Seldom take it out of 4 wheel because there’s no reason to. Fronts are totally disengaged unless it’s called for. To be honest I can’t tell the difference in steering force when they do engage. Never tried doing donuts on tar to see what would happen. It’s seldom on tar. Of course I use the fronts to get around tight slow corners when needed by blurping the throttle. Snow, mud it’s all there and ready to go. It’s just a nice smooth operation with light steering involved at all times.
I made sure to tell my sister to get a model with power steering so she wouldn’t be fighting the handlebars all the time. Having the front engaged constantly almost negates the benefit of having power steering unless you drive around in two wheel mode.
If nothing else I’ve discovered it’s not a new technology. It’s been around for a long time so I know it’s not just a different machine scenario as some mechanics have suggested.

You're right... rarely do I engage the AWD. So your point is valid. it should be working as they say it works. I am going to give mine another try. I will keep a close eye on the display, as I'm curious what it shows while moving in and out of AWD. I'll report back.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You're right... rarely do I engage the AWD. So your point is valid. it should be working as they say it works. I am going to give mine another try. I will keep a close eye on the display, as I'm curious what it shows while moving in and out of AWD. I'll report back.
you shouldn't see anything on the gauges unless there is a fault.

·
Registered
174 Posts
you shouldn't see anything on the gauges unless there is a fault.
No. There is a drive wheel indicator on the display - near the bottom left. It's there all the time - no faults. The OP said he was looking at his indicator and that it had changed to AWD as soon as he depressed the throttle. I want to try some experiments with this. He may be on to something. Perhaps the close ratio AWD is not working as intended on many of the 2017 SPs? Who knows.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts