Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well I tried the air trick today. No glory. Dropped the fronts down to 4 or less. Actually made it feel worse because of the larger footprint. Got a chance to take it in the grass and dirt a little. Obviously feels better than tar but it’s still very noticeable. It does feel like having no power steering but that’s not what’s really happening. The fronts just arent disengaging like they’re supposed too.
Took Polemans advice today. Strung the front end up in the rafters with the winch. What I learned was with the front raised it will do whatever it wants whenever it wants too. No rhyme or reason to locking or disengaging. Sometimes disengages, sometimes doesn’t. Works better in adc for a moment. Then doesn’t. Works better in 4x4 for a moment. Then doesn’t.
On the ground it’s pretty much locked. Had it slipping out of engagement in adc only when you let off the gas for a few minutes. Then it refused to do that.
I ended up pumping the fronts back up to 7+ for now. Steers a little easier in locked mode with round tires ;) LOL

Didn’t check the fluid. How in the heck are you supposed to get to that plug with a winch on there? Geez that’s an unfortunate place to put it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
At my local dealer the tech says he drains the front diff from the drain hole, and measures and fills the front diff through the vent line by the upper light pod.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
At my local dealer the tech says he drains the front diff from the drain hole, and measures and fills the front diff through the vent line by the upper light pod.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Interesting. Havent even noticed the vent line yet. I have to wonder how slow the oil flows through that line when it’s blocking the air flow creating a pressurized vessel? Also haven’t opened the bottle of demand fluid or whatever it’s called. Maybe it’s very light?
Read that most people pull the winch out the front or unbolt and shift it up. Love it when engineers end their job at the schematic level :)

Could probably measure and stand the machine on its butt and fill through the drain hole. I just may try that. Thanks for the idea. Just have to make sure it doesn’t run out the vent line. That would be a sweet mess. Should be enough area inside to hold 9 ozs. of oil if you stand it up enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am not sure if this helps. From a personal experience, I can tell the 4WD is engaged on pavement when turning. It tends to make steering tough. From what I was told by my dealer contact is that when the rear tires spin unevenly (example: right tire spins more than the left) and the AWD is engaged it will start pulling from the front. That is why the jack stand process will work. My guess is that there is a sensor that controls this. I would check Check wiring to AWD switch and to AWD hub coil. I saw a trouble shooting site for this recently and will see if I can find it. Also to note, I typically don't turn on my AWD unless I know I will need it. Even though it is a system that should only turn on when conditions are right, I have noticed that different circumstances can make it kick in when not needed. Hopefully this helps.

Reactions: jo191145

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am not sure if this helps. From a personal experience, I can tell the 4WD is engaged on pavement when turning. It tends to make steering tough. From what I was told by my dealer contact is that when the rear tires spin unevenly (example: right tire spins more than the left) and the AWD is engaged it will start pulling from the front. That is why the jack stand process will work. My guess is that there is a sensor that controls this. I would check Check wiring to AWD switch and to AWD hub coil. I saw a trouble shooting site for this recently and will see if I can find it. Also to note, I typically don't turn on my AWD unless I know I will need it. Even though it is a system that should only turn on when conditions are right, I have noticed that different circumstances can make it kick in when not needed. Hopefully this helps.
It’s my understanding the front tires should be capable of rotating at different speeds to allow for smooth steering. That’s why there’s two sets of rollers on the cage. One for each side. The rears do not. Seems to be positive traction there as far as I can tell. Gotta admit I havent even started to look into how the rear functions but it’s normal to feel them chafe the ground/tarin a corner. Unless you have turf control. Then your rears can turn at different speeds. Still shouldn’t feel the fronts. Does a turf control machine even switch into 4 wheel and turf at the same time? I don’t know. I didnt think so.

It may be that my real problem is both front axles are somehow locked together and unable to regulate speed independent of each other. That just may be a more accurate description of what’s really happening.

It’s my sisters machine. Gonna be her call to fix it or just use 2 wheel unless she gets stuck. I’ve done just about all I can with it. Not crazy about the idea of ripping into someone’s machine but my own. Not even crazy about that LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
I believe the switch for AWD actually activates a magnetic charge to help engage the front. There is an aftermarket part that “helps” keep the front engaged. Don’t need that,but need it to disengage

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same question so I took it to the local dealer. His answer was that on the SP you can select down hill assist, 4x4, or 2x4. The machine won't do it automatically if slippage is detected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I had the same question so I took it to the local dealer. His answer was that on the SP you can select down hill assist, 4x4, or 2x4. The machine won't do it automatically if slippage is detected.
Well the machine will not automatically select a mode for you. That’s different than how it acts in a chosen mode. I think your dealer is a lot like the ones in my area. Making up BS so you’ll stop asking difficult questions they don’t know the answers too. LOL The SP have the same On Demand feature all Polaris’s have albeit a closer ratio drivetrain.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my 18 570sp. Almost impossible to turn on the road when in 4x4. Both front tires were locked in at all times when 4x4 was selected. took it to the dealer and the magnet in front diff had melted down. They replaced the cover and it worked good for one ride, the next ride my 4x4 no longer engages at all. Light comes and that is it. They are replacing the cover again.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts