Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when it was -5 the atv started up fairly easily. about 2 hours later after a 1 hour trailer ride to the lake, it wouldn't start. At first it cranked fine. but after 4 minutes of cranking (not continuous), i started to get the LO battery indicator, and then the battery died. When i put the jumper cables on it to the truck, it started up right away. The battery is almost 2 years old and seems week, the original battery only lasted a little over a year. I have read the original battery is undersized. any recommendations on what battery i can put in there, that will fit. The polaris extreme use battery is only 20 CCA bettter. i was hoping for something a little stronger and to avoid expensive Dealer batteries.

thx

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
The Yuasa (OEM) battery is fine - starting is a combination of spark, compression and fuel vapor. If the air temp is extremely cold, the fuel you are using may not vaporize sufficiently to start the cold engine. Try using starting fluid to ease starting and save the battery and starter motor from premature failure. Also try using a lower viscosity oil like 5w30 or 0w something.

·
Premium Member
8,214 Posts
may want to invest in a smart charger or what I refer them to as float chargers. basically a charger that wont overcharge and prematurely kill the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the float charger on it overnight. it turned over fine, but wouldnt fire. but the battery has limited reserve capacity.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Try a new spark plug - starting in cold weather and not running long enough to get the engine up to normal operating temperature (takes about 20 minutes of driving - not idling) can coat the plug with carbon that does not get burned off due to insufficient run time and low combustion temperature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts