Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have posted this earlier in the wrong section so here it goes.... I have a 2017 Sportsman 1000 & am sick of the 82mph speed limiter. I see RVS deletes the speed limiter & before I drop the money for a programmer I was wondering if any of you have one already & what kind of top speed you are getting... I am planning on the intake & exhaust mod along with the RVS 92 octane tune... The 82mph speed limiter is BS!.. I bought a 1000 to use it to it's full potential, not be limited... Thank you all in advance!..

·
Registered
720 Posts
82 really ain't fast enough for you on a 800lb ATV? lol I've got 81 on my stock 2017 850 SP, which is more than fast enough for me. Where do you plan on doing more than 82 mph at anyways?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 2017 XP 1000 with the RVS reflash, stock clutching
, stock tires. I seen 90 MPH last weekend on a asphalt road. I don't believe there was anything left in it.
The 82 MPH limiter is B.S. in my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
82 really ain't fast enough for you on a 800lb ATV? lol I've got 81 on my stock 2017 850 SP, which is more than fast enough for me. Where do you plan on doing more than 82 mph at anyways?
Straight aways, asphalt roads, many places as these machines don't take too long to get there... I hit my limiter literally everytime I take it out...

& thank you MNNDS...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I may have posted this earlier in the wrong section so here it goes.... I have a 2017 Sportsman 1000 & am sick of the 82mph speed limiter. I see RVS deletes the speed limiter & before I drop the money for a programmer I was wondering if any of you have one already & what kind of top speed you are getting... I am planning on the intake & exhaust mod along with the RVS 92 octane tune... The 82mph speed limiter is BS!.. I bought a 1000 to use it to it's full potential, not be limited... Thank you all in advance!..

What type of exhaust are planning on? I have been thinking about adding the RLWC dual exhaust on my bike, but can't find any good info on how much power it will add. Most of the info I found is just about the sound of the exhaust.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do you guys find the bikes twitchy at those speeds on asphalt. Mine is squirelly. Wish i had less assist on the power steering at higher speeds so you get more road feel. Like the yamaha does, faster you you go less assist you need
maybe thinking of playing around with tire pressures a bit or front tire alignment ? Maybe more toe out ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do you guys find the bikes twitchy at those speeds on asphalt. Mine is squirelly. Wish i had less assist on the power steering at higher speeds so you get more road feel. Like the yamaha does, faster you you go less assist you need
maybe thinking of playing around with tire pressures a bit or front tire alignment ? Maybe more toe out ?
Too much toe out will make the bike oversteer ,but its better for cornering, more responsive, straight line handing will be more twitchy with increased toe out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MNDS I have yet to decide yet on which exhaust or tuning to go with.. Basically whichever setup produces the most power as I still have more research to do as well....

As far as high speeds go, I am actually quite impressed how stable the machine feels at 82mph... I actually feel more comfortable on this one going 80 than I did on my 800 going 60...

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
Increased toe out will make the atv less twitchy at speed. Toe in makes them very twitchy. Not looking to start an argument, I just don't want someone to make the wrong adjustment and end up getting hurt because of it.
I will also add that I can see no reason on earth to run these machines anywhere near 80+ mph. You must be young, single guys...

·
Registered
204 Posts
New tires made all the difference for me.
I did not feel safe at high speed with stock tires.
New tires... I FLY!!!!

no adjustments needed.

Traxion Max ICE Gripper MAX (studded all terrain)
these studded tires climb everything. I love climbing logs and slippery rocks
also have 2 inch wheel spacers on each tire. 4 inches wider overall. fender flares!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Increased toe out will make the atv less twitchy at speed. Toe in makes them very twitchy. Not looking to start an argument, I just don't want someone to make the wrong adjustment and end up getting hurt because of it.
I will also add that I can see no reason on earth to run these machines anywhere near 80+ mph. You must be young, single guys...
I'm 35. No kids but basically married for the last 10 years... Always been a speed demon & I'm sure always will be... If I didn't want to haul ass I wouldn't have spent the money I did on a new 1000... Used to have a Banshee that was built up with larger front sprocket that I was clocked at 105mph on... Hoping to get the 1000 at least over 90, hopefully 95ish with clutching as well... We'll see...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm 35. No kids but basically married for the last 10 years... Always been a speed demon & I'm sure always will be... If I didn't want to haul ass I wouldn't have spent the money I did on a new 1000... Used to have a Banshee that was built up with larger front sprocket that I was clocked at 105mph on... Hoping to get the 1000 at least over 90, hopefully 95ish with clutching as well... We'll see...
I had the QSC clutch kit in my bike, I seen a drop in top speed with this set up.
I suspect the secondary spring rate is too high, making the top end shift out struggle.
I ran out of testing time, but do plan on trying the QSC again with some changes.
For now I have the stock clutching in the bike.

I think you will get where you want to be with the tune, exhaust and intake. Let us know how it works out for you.

And for the internet safety patrols out there, I never go fast when I’m giving my grand kids rides!

·
Super Moderator
6,958 Posts
And for the internet safety patrols out there, I never go fast when I’m giving my grand kids rides!
That's pretty funny. However, it's referred to as "natural selection" where I come from. :)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
That's pretty funny. However, it's referred to as "natural selection" where I come from. :)
People go fast everyday and don't die, meanwhile, dips**t Billy is sitting in his recliner eating Cheetos speeding towards a massive heart failure. S**t, sitting in an office chair for 8hrs a day greatly increases the risk of a heart attack.

There are dangers in everything one chooses to do. You encounter more dangers on the trip to the riding spot than you would doing 80 on an ATV that is setup to do it properly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
May I ask what you are going to do for the intake? I am debating the stage 3 with aftermarket exhaust (I went w RWJC duals) and aftermarket intake, but I do not like the options currently available. After speaking w the guys at RVS, it seems people that do not snorkel their bike do a crude method of cutting another hole in the intake..

Is there no one who makes an actual properly designed intake? I don't have any interest in snorkels and ripping a hole in the stock intake sounds too redneck for me. At this time, I am likely to do the the stage two with aftermarket exhaust and stock intake unless I can find a better method for the intake. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and likely something OP would need to consider as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
May I ask what you are going to do for the intake? I am debating the stage 3 with aftermarket exhaust (I went w RWJC duals) and aftermarket intake, but I do not like the options currently available. After speaking w the guys at RVS, it seems people that do not snorkel their bike do a crude method of cutting another hole in the intake..

Is there no one who makes an actual properly designed intake? I don't have any interest in snorkels and ripping a hole in the stock intake sounds too redneck for me. At this time, I am likely to do the the stage two with aftermarket exhaust and stock intake unless I can find a better method for the intake. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and likely something OP would need to consider as well.
if you do not want a snorkel, just make the intake "vents" bigger.

check the picture. make the vents under the cover into 2 x 1.5" holes.
now you have increased air intake.
mix with performance exhaust and shake well.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,959 Posts

if you do not want a snorkel, just make the intake "vents" bigger.

check the picture. make the vents under the cover into 2 x 1.5" holes.
now you have increased air intake.
mix with performance exhaust and shake well.
Good info!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

They also have this universal plate. I was thinking about getting one and making a ram air style intake with some frogzskin material over the intakes to keep water out when splashing through puddles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts