Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
May I ask what you are going to do for the intake? I am debating the stage 3 with aftermarket exhaust (I went w RWJC duals) and aftermarket intake, but I do not like the options currently available. After speaking w the guys at RVS, it seems people that do not snorkel their bike do a crude method of cutting another hole in the intake..

Is there no one who makes an actual properly designed intake? I don't have any interest in snorkels and ripping a hole in the stock intake sounds too redneck for me. At this time, I am likely to do the the stage two with aftermarket exhaust and stock intake unless I can find a better method for the intake. Any help here would be greatly appreciated and likely something OP would need to consider as well.
They also have this universal plate. I was thinking about getting one and making a ram air style intake with some frogzskin material over the intakes to keep water out when splashing through puddles.
Snorkel parts... not just for snorkels!

parts found at "Snorkel your atv".com

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am really considering the Stage 3R flash, here in Canada many PetroCan gas stations have "Ultra" 95 Octane, almost all stations have Super 91

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got the RVS Stage 1 tune done on my 2016 Sportsman XP 1000 Touring and test drove it yesterday for the first time. I did a top speed run on blacktop and hit 78 one way and 80 the other according to GPS that records max speed (my speedometer appeared to read the exact same thing so I'm confident in the numbers). I'm disappointed with this after hearing a stock 2017 XP 1000 does 82 and it sounds like it could do more without the rev limiter which the RVS tune removes. I did not detect any noticeable difference in bottom or midrange power either. In fact it seemed to wheelie less from a start on black top than it did before the tune. My max speed before the tune was 77 on gravel which I assume is fairly equivalent to what I achieved with the tune on blacktop. I don't need to go over 80 mph, but do want to know that my ATV is running properly and that I got something beneficial out of my significant investment in the RVS tune.

I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts on whether or not my ATV is running properly based on my max speed and no detectible difference with the RVS tune. It was 70 F when I tested it yesterday in Wisconsin. I had about 7 pounds pressure in all four tires and about 20 hours on the ATV (I properly broke it in too). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I just got the RVS Stage 1 tune done on my 2016 Sportsman XP 1000 Touring and test drove it yesterday for the first time. I did a top speed run on blacktop and hit 78 one way and 80 the other according to GPS that records max speed (my speedometer appeared to read the exact same thing so I'm confident in the numbers). I'm disappointed with this after hearing a stock 2017 XP 1000 does 82 and it sounds like it could do more without the rev limiter which the RVS tune removes. I did not detect any noticeable difference in bottom or midrange power either. In fact it seemed to wheelie less from a start on black top than it did before the tune. My max speed before the tune was 77 on gravel which I assume is fairly equivalent to what I achieved with the tune on blacktop. I don't need to go over 80 mph, but do want to know that my ATV is running properly and that I got something beneficial out of my significant investment in the RVS tune.

I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts on whether or not my ATV is running properly based on my max speed and no detectible difference with the RVS tune. It was 70 F when I tested it yesterday in Wisconsin. I had about 7 pounds pressure in all four tires and about 20 hours on the ATV (I properly broke it in too). Thanks.
Running a clutch kit? I know when adding a clutch kit you can lose some top speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, it has stock clutch. There is no extra weight or drag either (e.g. no winch, windshield, storage box, etc). I weigh 185. Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 82 MPH on a stock 2017 is the Speedometer reading, not a GPS reading, so we would need to know the GPS speed on a 2017 to compare.

My bike tops out at 90 MPH on the Speedometer, I do not think I actually hit that number, I think the 2017 Speedo is a little high.

·
Registered
204 Posts
well most mods like clutch, and programming just play with the fine line of "acceleration vs torque"
more acceleration means less torque... less wheelies, and you get to top speed faster without changing the top speed.

clutch weight kits are a perfect example.
If you get bigger heavier tires there is more drag on the tires, severely slowing you down, like driving with the brakes on.
but after a kit, you sacrifice some of the stock acceleration for more torque to turn the heavier tires and you gain your speed back.
nothing will change your top speed, only how long it takes to get there.

I dont see a simple stage 1 programming doing much more than increasing torque and acceleration by manipulating the fuel/air mixture and timing.
To see true top speed gains you need hardware, ie intake and exhaust.

With gas engines you cant give it more fuel without more air, you cant take in more air unless you can exhaust more air out.
The stock intake "slots"... are much smaller than the exhaust size... so...
Stage 1.5, 3 and up are where its at.

Diesel... just add fuel... to a point...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the responses and helpful information. I guess I was expecting (and hoping) for more from the Stage 1 tune considering it provides a 6 hp increase at the wheels in addition to removing speed, rev, torque limiters, etc. I definitely thought I would feel that on the butt dyno and see something on the speedometer.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The speedometer comments got me wanting to take the 1K out with my GPS and see what it can actually do for a top speed number. Whatever it is, its stupid fast for a Utility ATV lol. I love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 scrambler 1000 and in 1000 feet it will do 73 mph, but that’s on ice. I’m sure you could hit low 90s with a tuner and if your remove the speed limiter.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts