Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were riding a local forest service road the other day, the quad was running fine and she had to stop in order to allow some motorcycles to pass. When she attempted to go again as she gave it gas the quad just died. It then would not turn over so I towed it down to the main road where we tried to start it again. This time all it would do is turn over and not fire.

I have since charged the battery, replaced the spark plug and verified that it indeed has spark, checked the fuel pump which pressures up to 60psi as soon as you turn on the key. I checked the compression which comes up at 60psi which I understand that because of the automatic decompression this is a normal reading.

I also swapped the relay from the lights to the injector just to see if the relay might be the problem but it checked out as well. I am running out of ideas and it still will not start.

Any suggestions?

Rod

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like a kill switch ? How your fuses ? There is a fuse up front under the stow box that is related to ignition. I had a similar situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I checked all the fuses they are all good, if the kill switch was the problem then there would be no power to the speedo console and the starter would not engage at all. I should say that when the quad did not initially turn over the starter did engage it just would turn the engine over.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Will it start using starting fluid? If not is either compression, spark timing or an electronic gremlin - plug it into a computer and run the diagnostics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tested the fuel injector and it sprays but I can't tell if it is adequate for an injector and then after about 30 seconds of turning over the injector stops spraying completely. Is that normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I'm pretty sure I found the problem and it is not good news. I opened up the stator cover and the valve cover and while I was turning the crank by hand I noticed that the camshaft was not turning. Looks like I will have to pull the head and determine what is damaged and how much rebuilding I have to do.

:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts