Polaris ATV Forum banner

2017+ Sportsman 450 - how does it hold up?

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  steve_kyle 
#1 ·
Considering one of these for my kids.

Anyone have one with some decent miles on it? How has it held up? Any common problems?

Thanks.

#2 ·
I have a 2018 450, non EPS. it's been great! The only issue I had was one time the cheap spark plug went bad and I had to replace it (which is painfully difficult). That was in the first month of owning it. After that, I made sure to stop "short tripping" with it to keep the plug from fouling... Been awesome ever since!

For the money, they're an awesome wheeler!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Great. Sounds like it gets some good use.

Do you find the plastics fairly sturdy?

I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 that has been a very good machine. Hoping the new ones are as good. I suspect they have cut some corners (like the plug and battery, plastic thumb throttle) to get the price down, but as long as the mechanicals are still the same quality I would be happy.

Thanks very much for the reply.

#6 ·
Great. Sounds like it gets some good use.

Do you find the plastics fairly sturdy?

I have a 2002 Sportsman 500 that has been a very good machine. Hoping the new ones are as good. I suspect they have cut some corners (like the plug and battery, plastic thumb throttle) to get the price down, but as long as the mechanicals are still the same quality I would be happy.

Thanks very much for the reply.
I've got some scuffs on the black plastic racks in the front and rear from having trail bags and chainsaws strapped down. They vibrate enough to scuff it. Nothing major.

Also, I have the girlfriend ride 2up sometimes, and her riding has scuffed up the green plastic of the back fender wells.

Nothing I can't deal with! Again, great machine. Only regret is no EPS for trail riding

#7 ·
Thanks. Not worried about scuffs - that's going to happen. More concerned with cracking or flimsiness (if that's a word). Good from that standpoint?

I heard that the steering was fairly light on the 450 without power steering. I have also heard that the power steering is over boosted at speed which gives a disconnected feel. I think I would prefer no EPS myself.

Thanks.

#8 ·
No cracks or breaks as of yet!

I definitely will say the steering is much better than any other atv I have ever used without eps, but long rides on rocky trails leave me feeling sore in the shoulders. I think eps would help soften those blows from rocks. Just my idea, I have no experience to prove it. Without eps, I'm sure you will be more than happy! I sure am!

#11 ·
The only people that have bad things to say about EPS are the ones that don’t have it. Once you have EPS you will never go back to non-EPS Machine

Reactions: Hondov65
#13 ·
I’m not sure that you know how Polaris ESP works. It is speed sensitive, the faster you go the less power assist is available. My current ride is a 2019 850 SP that is well capable of doing in excess of 76 mph, I have seen that speed many times on blacktop road and never felt too much boost, I have felt in control at all times.

#14 ·
Yep, aware of how it works. I believe I have seen reviews though that say it is still a little too powerful at speed. The person indicated that the Yamaha Grizzly has better calibration than the larger Sportsman.

I know someone that got in an accident and attributed it (at least in part) to the power steering. I believe his quad was a Can Am. Freak situation I guess, but he was riding standing up and turned around to look behind him for other riders. The motion of turning around turned the bars at the instant he was dipping into a puddle and he rolled the quad.

#15 ·
That’s what they make mirrors for......

Maybe you should buy a Grizzly.... I’m done

#17 ·
I bought one for my kid when he was 14. My only regret is that I didn’t get him a 570. I ended up putting on 25” HTR Bearclaws, the stock 24” didn’t cut it. Now he’s 16 and the extra power from a 570 would’ve been nice. Other than that it’s been solid. Kids grow quick!

#18 ·
Tell me about it. Mine is 14 and taller than me already. I'd go for the 570, but no 2019 leftovers around here and there are big rebates on right now.

How many miles on your 450? The consensus seems to be that they are solid quads with a few cheap items from Polaris to keep the cost down (i.e. battery, spark plug, plastic thumb throttle) - not deal breakers for sure. Of course, the fit and finish may not be on par with Honda or Yamaha, but I can deal with plastic's vibrating and stuff as long as the mechanicals are solid. For the money, Polaris also comes with true AWD which the others do not at this price point.

Thanks for the reply.

#20 ·
I bought my 2017 450 brand new. Have about 1200 miles on it. Have not had any issues. I live in FL and do mostly trail riding at lower speeds. I changed plug once, as a maintenance step. That was a a little challenge since you cant really see the plug. I made a video to help others out. Other than that I changed all fluids after the first year and she has been solid. You can see pic and accessories in my signature.

#21 ·
I have about 400hrs and 8000km on my 2019 450 and I haven't had any issues besides the motor mount being faulty from the factory, but it was covered under warranty. Just recently changed the u-joints in the propshaft, all 4 wheel bearings and brake pads. I also changed the spark plug air filter and belt just to keep things fresh. Also if you get the exhaust underwater and let go of the throttle it'll shut off, I learnt that the hard way but I got it out of the water , checked the oil and it started right back up

#22 ·
That's a lot of miles on a 2019. You obviously ride a lot.

Sounds like the 450 is a solid machine. It should be as the engine is really the newest part of it as the rest dates back to the old Sportsman 500HO (as long as Polaris hasn't gotten cheaper with the parts quality). With the miles you have put on it sounds like the engine is solid. I had an old 500HO and had very little trouble with it.

Thanks for the info on your machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.