Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a loss for words on how to handle this issue and greatly appreciate any ideas.
Quick Background- Christmas 2016 my wife shocked me with a 2017 Sportsman 570 Hunter Edition with all the bells and whistles. My bike has now overheated 4 times and has been to two different dealerships three times. They have burped the coolant and replaced a sensor. Still overheating. Polaris has been absolutely unhelpful. I have called them 3 times to voice my concerns, they just give me a case number. Very frustrated with this situation and having a $10,000 machine that can not withstand a 30 minute ride in very easy going terrain. Appreciate any suggestions or help anyone can provide me on what do with this!!

Dec 2016- Receive the 2017 Polaris Sportsman 570 Hunter Edition as a Christmas present.
Jan2017-Apr2017....Strictly follow the break in period guidance from Polaris up to 15 hours
Apr2017...While driving on an atv trail (5-10 mph) 45 minutes into a ride the engine light comes on. I immediately stop the machine, let it cool off and trailer to the Polaris dealership she bought it at.
May2017...Dealership does the initial oil change and goes over the bike, checks out the overheat engine and told that the engine threw "no error codes", $250 later they say the bike is good to go.
June 2017...Next ride out, same story 30 minutes in the ride on an atv trail at slower speeds engine overheats again, does not appear the fan is coming on. Return to the same dealership.
July 2017...After about a month at the shop the service department says they "can't replicate the problem at their shop". I go straight from the shop for a 30 minute ride, same deal slower speeds and the engine gets up to 230 F, fan will not kick on. I call the dealership and they said bring it back for a third time, I said no thanks going to a new dealership.
Late July 2017...I am in contact with the new dealership who said they "burped the coolant" and replaced a sensor for the fan. Next ride out the bike rode perfectly, no overheating, fan ALWAYS kicked on around 194 F. I am thinking awesome, problem solved...NOPE!
Sep 2017....Thinking the problem is fixed, I am again 30 minutes into a ride and the bike all of a sudden gets up to around 230 F, again fan is not kicking on.
Extremely discouraged and frustrated at this and appreciate any input anyone can provide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This may sound crazy, but is the fan going bad, or is there a grounding issue with the fan? Just because the fan will kick on once a sensor is replaced doesn't take this possibility away.

·
8,736 Posts
Could be several things but nearly impossible to diagnose from a distance. Some of the RZR guys have had trouble with the circuit breaker for the fan corroding and acting like what you describe.
If you unplug the wire from the temp sensor in the head does the fan come on?
If not you may have another bad one since you said it worked OK for a while after it was replaced before. Here's a much cheaper one than OEM for on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THERMISTER-TEMP-SENSOR-SWITCH-FOR-POLARIS-4010644-/282048070128?epid=2020098350&hash=item41ab6001f0:g:txMAAOSwR5dXRJhK&vxp=mtr
There's also a relay that controls the fan that can be replaced as a test. About $5 at the auto parts store...$30 from Polaris. It should tell you on the inside of the fuse box lid which one is the fan.

Finding what is causing an electrical gremlin if often not really that hard but can take time and just the process of elimination to narrow down to what it is. While replacing/checking stuff make sure to check, wiggle and inspect all connections and wires. Sometimes they can break or have a bad connection without being easily spotted just by looking.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts