Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this years hunting season, one day i spent the day in the woods and the ATV sat in the woods for about 11 hours. When I went to start it, it turned over once and did not start then would not turn over at all. I turned the key back and forth 4-5 times and finally started it and left it to run for another hour. A week later after sitting for a few days in the barn I went to start it again the same thing. A family member told me that it started fine a few days prior when they moved it out of the way.. I also noticed that prior to starting the speedometer did not sweep from left to right and back when the key was initially turned on ( I believe it did prior to the issue). The ATV is almost 3 years old but has low hours since it is used mostly for hunting. Is there something I need to reset or is there another underlying issue that needs repaired? I replaced the battery and installed a battery tender. It will start when it has been attached to the battery tender but if it is disconnected from the battery tender for 3-4 in 20-30 degree pole barn it will not turn over and acts like there is not enough charge in the battery. It’s like something is draining the battery or needing extra battery to start. Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
729 Posts
Sounds like to me if you have let it sit for long periods of time prior to adding the tender that your battery is just bad. 3 years old and not being on a tender and sitting especially in cold weather the cells will start dying off. Idling does not do a whole lot to charge your battery either - got to get the rpm's up with a good ride. Try a New sealed glass mat battery and you may be just fine. Good luck with it. It's not unusual to get a bad battery right from the store. Make sure key and kill switch are both off when you park it.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I don't know why I suggested replacing the key switch unless I thought I was responding to a different post

I should have instead have suggested that the claimed Battery Tender (registered trademark) may have damaged the new battery or the vehicle charging system may not be charging properly or possibly both. If the 'tender' has more than 1.5 amps output, it can damage the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts