Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During this years hunting season, one day i spent the day in the woods and the ATV sat in the woods for about 11 hours. When I went to start it, it turned over once and did not start then would not turn over at all. I turned the key back and forth 4-5 times and finally started it and left it to run for another hour. A week later after sitting for a few days in the barn I went to start it again the same thing. A family member told me that it started fine a few days prior when they moved it out of the way. I checked the battery and it was low on water so I added water. I also noticed that prior to starting the speedometer did not sweep from left to right and back when the key was initially turned on ( I believe it did prior to the issue). The ATV is almost 3 years old but has low hours since it is used mostly for hunting. Is there something I need to reset or is there another underlying issue that needs repaired? I would not think it would be the battery given the low hours and none of the connections were loose. Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Probably the battery - a conventional flooded lead acid battery needs charged every 30 days to prevent it from going degrading to a point where it will not take a charge. When the battery is not in use, sulfate crystals will grow between the plates shorting them out internally. Also, you should not add water to a battery until after it has been charged. As a battery discharges, the gas in the material of the plates is replaced with liquid - if you add water before charging, the battery may become over full and excess liquid may excreted. Personally, I would ditch the conventional battery for a sealed AGM battery which requires less frequent charging, is more resistant to sulfation and does not require as frequent charging. Easy test, put a meter across the battery terminals and read the voltage when trying to start - if it stays above 10.5 volts with the engine turning over it's probably fine, if it reads less than 10 volts with the starter solenoid closed, it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
37 Posts
latebird explained everything very well.
I have a battery tender on mine. I have not had any issues with the charging system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the battery - a conventional flooded lead acid battery needs charged every 30 days to prevent it from going degrading to a point where it will not take a charge. When the battery is not in use, sulfate crystals will grow between the plates shorting them out internally. Also, you should not add water to a battery until after it has been charged. As a battery discharges, the gas in the material of the plates is replaced with liquid - if you add water before charging, the battery may become over full and excess liquid may excreted. Personally, I would ditch the conventional battery for a sealed AGM battery which requires less frequent charging, is more resistant to sulfation and does not require as frequent charging. Easy test, put a meter across the battery terminals and read the voltage when trying to start - if it stays above 10.5 volts with the engine turning over it's probably fine, if it reads less than 10 volts with the starter solenoid closed, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks. I read other issues about starting and most stated to change out the factory battery. I would like to put a battery tender on it but with the battery being down on the frame it is not as easy to access to take on or off. The speedo shows when it is running putting out 11 + volts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have suggested to others that they install the pigtail for the battery tender on the power distribution block. And then run it to a wheel well.
Makes plugging in a breeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts