Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2017 sportsman 850 sp with just over 800 miles on it and already had a bearing go bad on my crankshaft. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions on the best way to go about repairing this? The machine is out of warranty, I contacted Polaris and they don't want to do much for me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In that case sounds like you'll need a new crank and rebuild or exchange.
Yes I understand that, was just curious if anyone else had this problem and if the had any suggestions of aftermarket/rebuild kits

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Just curious, what caused the failure do you know? Was the machine ever swamped. Was it Service regularly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just curious, what caused the failure do you know? Was the machine ever swamped. Was it Service regularly?
No never swamped, mainly used for typical trail riding in Michigan and occasionally dragging a deer out of the woods. Never been through any type of water or mud holes. Was well maintained and serviced. Only just over 80 hours on it so wasn’t even due for its 2nd oil change but oil was checked every time before it was used. The problem was somewhere on Polaris’s end more than likely when assembling the crank. Either a bad/ scratched bearing before it was installed, a clearance issue, not proper lubrication, etc. Could be a number of things but the machine couldn’t have been maintained or driven any differently to prevent this from happening.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
EC5.... thanks for the reply, as you can see I also have a new 850 and this is terrible to hear. Really it SUCKS. The metal don't lie and someone at Polaris should step up, analyze the failure and take care of the issue...... I would not take "No HELP" as an answer. Is it at the dealer where you purchased it from?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EC5.... thanks for the reply, as you can see I also have a new 850 and this is terrible to hear. Really it SUCKS. The metal don't lie and someone at Polaris should step up, analyze the failure and take care of the issue...... I would not take "No HELP" as an answer. Is it at the dealer where you purchased it from?
Yes it is currently at the dealer I purchased it from. I am still continuing to contact Polaris to see if they will be willing to help me out or at least show some concern with the failure of their machine. It is very disappointing, I’ve heard many good things about Polaris and I really enjoyed the performance of the machine but it is hard to look past a personal experience like this. Hopefully this isn’t the case for you. If you hear any type of rattling clicking or knocking I would take it in ASAP you might be able to save your crank.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
If you don't get any help from your dealer or Polaris , contact your states Division of Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau ....... and file a complaint.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
EC5, sorry to hear of your bad luck. It would be nice if polaris would step up and help with this as it sounds like it was obviously an assembly error at the plant. But I wouldn't count on it. I hope you can get the engine repaired. PartZilla has some pretty good videos on YouTube of the rebuild process for an XP850. They also go into the process of correctly sizing the main and rod bearings in there RZR 900 rebuild series.

It looks like an OEM replacement crankshaft with bearings is about $900

Good luck, I would be interested in how your story ends if you remember this thread once you get the engine repaired.

As a clarification. I'm not affiliated with partzilla but I find their videos helpful as well as the parts diagrams. Sometimes I just use the Polaris part numbers to search on Google, ebay, Amazon etc. to find the best prices as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts