Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out that the stock Polaris tires on the 2017 Sportsman Touring XP 1000 (and others, I guess) are "Not for Highway Use." (But you can license them for "street legal." Huh...)

All the decent trails are a minimum of 20 minutes away by highway. So...I figure my desired riding will be about 25% highway (40 mph and above)/75% trail.

What are your guys' recommendation for tires in this situation?

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
Your terrain and those conditions sounds like the original Bighorn would fit the bill. Also look at the Pitbull Growler uber core.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know if any ATV tires are street legal. It does not seem to be much of a concern. We drive on the rode all the time.

For pavement, the Original Big horn would be my first choice. The wear like IRON. One of the guys in my group put over 10,000 miles on a set and then gave them to another guy that drove them some more.

They ride good and work well in most all conditions. Yes, there are better tires for each individual needs but the Big Horn Original has been the "Go To" for most everyone I ride with.

D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Unless you ride a lot of wet conditions that generate mud, I too would rec OG BH’s.
Careful with the purchase of BH tires tho. From what I understand, the vehicles that run BH tires from factory have a lesser ply rating than those you’d buy new. So I would rec staying away from take-offs if I am in fact correct in my thinking.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I am running Interco Sniper 920s on my 1000 XP. They are DOT approved. Seem to be holding up well with a mix of street and trail. Mostly ride very rocky trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had not heard of a DOT atv tire. I wonder what makes them DOT approved over any other tire?

They look good on your bike!! My gosh you have a clean ATV. Mine looks like .....well, MUD.

D

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Hasn't rained in Utah for months, all we have right now is DUST DUST AND MORE DUST which rinses off pretty easy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I live in Montana. It has been cold and raining here almost every day. I don't think we have gotten two days in a row over 75 degrees. It is forecast for warmer this week. The nice thing about rain is... no dust. But man are the skeetos hatching out with all the pools of water.

D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts