Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started having issues when warm when starting. You have to crack the throttle a little bit and crank key at same time.

Bit of a pain in ass when trying to hold brake lever too especially if I let someone else drive bike

Once started, it idles ok till next time you shut off have to do same thing

Starts right up when cold.

Other than this issue bike runs great

Hear guys talk about IAC valve.

What does it do ?

Thanks Werner

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum

· Premium Member
2018 Sportsman XP 1000 63 1/2 wheelbase
973 Posts
My Sportsman XP 1000 was doing the same thing and cleaning up the cables at the battery did the trick my Kodak 700 EPS was doing the same thing a while back and cleaning up the cables was all it needed.

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,248 Posts
2019 850 will start with either pedal or lever depressed

· Premium Member
2018 Sportsman XP 1000 63 1/2 wheelbase
973 Posts
Yeah, my 18 won't start with the foot pedal. Only the hand lever.
My 2018 Sportsman XP 1000 doesn't start with the foot brake and doesn't even have brake lights with the foot brake and the service manual doesn't show a brake light for the foot brake but does on 2019 and newer.

In my opinion Polaris is crazy on a lot of things but one is the fact that brake switch is what puts power to the starter and that I found out the hard way that the wires from the brake switch then go all the way to the tail lights then is spliced together to the with the wires that goes to the starter.
It's in the service manual and the last time I cut my frame to add more wheelbase I cut the wires going to the tail lights and was going to just put a plug so I could remove the back end quickly next time.
So when I cut the wires didn't make sense because there was 6 wires and only 3 was needed for the tail lights
(2 Hot and 1 Ground)
I even cut the ground back at the lights and put it frame of the rear rack.
So I only use a RC 2 pin plug for the 2 Hots and left the other wires unattached and after everything else was done I was going to start to it and it wouldn't do anything.
Quickly remember that I had some wires unattached, I couldn't believe that the wires were to go from the front all the back end and then to the front then to the starter but the service manual shows exactly that.
So I connected all loose wires with the wire for the brake light at the plug and everything worked fine.
And this gives me other ideas that I could run Power to the wires from a hidden switch or some other device.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts