Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a led light bar with the Polaris factory relay and after getting it all wired up I turned the key over once to make sure the lights worked and all was good. I checked it again and the quad is totally dead, no powering up or turning over. I did notice that the ground and power wire wasn't fully tight as I had hand tightened them to the extra power bar under the hood and forgot to tighten them. I checked the fuses and they appear to be good, and the battery is fully charged. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Note: I do have heated grips installed and was using a splitter to connect the heated grips and led light bar to the same orange/white wire.

Thanks for any advice or help.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Here's a stupid question; which of the following Sportsman models do you have?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a blue 2018 450 HO 4x4 that came w/o power steering but I had the dealer add it after I bought it.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Get your test light or meter out - start chasing power - connect one lead to the battery neg, check to the pos post of the battery. From there check the pos side of the terminal block - then go to the fuse block - with the key on, use a probe to touch each side of each fuse if any fuse has power on one side and not the other, then that fuse is bad - any fuse that no power on either side, make note of the fuse (amperage and location)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. Is the fuse block under the hood the only location where there are potential fuses blown? All those fuses are good but when I first turn the key over there is a shorting/clicking sound that seems to be coming from the fuse block or underneath it.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
There are 6 relays in the fuse block - one relay is a 'chassis' relay - if the chassis relay is not turning on, you will have no power - all the relays are the same - try switching them around - there is a circuit breaker near the battery ahead of the fan relay, but no other fuses - there are fusible links in the power wires on the pos side of the terminal block between there and the fuse block

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, So I checked and I have power to the circuit breaker, and the power bar as well as to the fuse box. The issue is when I turn the key on there is a shorting out sound that comes from the fuse box in particular where the EFI relay is and the Chassis Relay. If I take those two relays out, the dashboard will actually light up but with them in, the dash is dead. I switched the relays around and it didn't change anything either. I am at a loss and appreciate any advice or feedback.

·
Premium Member
7,555 Posts
How are you concerning the fuses are good??

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Unplug the ECU and see if it will power up - the EFI relay gets it's ground through the ECU, but the chassis wiring relay gets it's ground directly at the power block - if it powers up and the relays quit clicking with the ECU unplugged, then you probably have a faulty ECU - that would have to be verified by an electronic diagnosis of the system performed by a dealer.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
If you don't know how to unplug it, take it to a dealer now - it has a 50 pin multi pin plug with a lock or two to prevent it from becoming loose or disconnected during operation - you release the locks and unplug the connector just like 80% of the other connectors on the wiring harness.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts