Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2018 450 sportsman with 5 miles on it from Schauer power sports. The reason Larry the salesman stated the prior owner returned it was that it didn't fit his trailer. Given what i know now i believe it was because it wouldn't start within the first 5 miles of use. Every eleven hours of use with 3 service calls that are not!! covered under warranty my plug has to be changed. Polaris and the first dealer all tell me the machine is fine I'm just not operating it properly. You have to use 87 octane gas. You can never shut the machine down until it has come to full operating temp and you can't let it idle. Ok to me that's ridiculous but after the first service i followed that to a tee except for the gas because I didn't learn about that until the second not starting service call at 20 hours of use. At 30 hours of use and not starting I took it to where I purchased it which is a 7 hr round trip. They told me well we have to look at it to help you and either way will make it right. So after explaining to them the plug issue I called them eagerly hoping they would find the magic solution. The service manager said yep we fixed it we changed the plug. Of course I was upset as i wanted a solution to why it fouls out every 10 hrs. I asked for a trade in at that point. They offered me 3500. With that math when i have 60 hrs on the machine it will be worth o dollars which I really can't argue with. So polaris and the service dealers feel its perfectly normal to change a plug every 10 hrs because they all continue to tell me I must not be following there 3 protocol rules of use even though I do. Anyone else having this issue with there 2018 450. I owned a 300 polaris 2 stoke for 11 years ran like a dream how far they have fallen!!

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
237 Posts
What gas were you running in it? I run non ethanol 92 and have never had an engine problem out of any of my machines

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
87 octane non ethanol fuel is the recommended minimum - 89 octane or higher if ethanol blended (from the owners manual: Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87 = (R + M/2) octane. Do not use fuel with ethanol content greater than 10 percent, such as E-85 fuel.)

You can shut it down whenever you damn well want to, it can idle, but it should not be let idle for more than 5 to 7 minutes cold or 3 to 5 minutes when hot (it's an oil pressure and charging system thing).

I presume the fuel system is fuel injection? You just need to find a dealer who can properly map the injection. More fuel is not more power - more air is more power - it's running too rich at idle and perhaps at other engine speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't agree more. But finder a dealer who agrees is the trick. I've been to two different dealers already with the same result and both of them and polaris telling me there is nothing wrong with the machine just my improper operation.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
My guess is no one has the software to correct the Chinese EFI - just keep lodging complaints with PI

1 - 6 of 6 Posts