Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forum and new to atv’s. Forgive me if this is a stupid question.
I recently bought a 2018 Sportsman 450 HO and a 2018 570 SP. Both have under 50 miles. At full throttle, top speed, the 570 tops out around 6600-7000 rpm, but my 450 tops out 5600-5800 rpm at top speed. Even spinning tires on snow and ice I’ve barely seen the rpms on the 450 get above 6200.
Is this normal? I’m riding at 5000’ - 7000’ elevation, do you think the clutch needs to be adjusted for elevation? Is there an RPM limiter during break in? It just feels/sounds like there’s a lot left in the 450 that I’m not tapping in to, and I would like to get to know what to expect out of my ride before just shrugging my shoulders and assuming that’s all she’s got...
I realize it’s not going to hit 8000 rpm like my 2 stroke mountain sled, but having no experience on single cylinder 4 stroke atv’s I feel I should ask the ones who know. (My dealer looked at me like I asked him what the appropriate thrust was on an intercontinental ballistic missile)
Thanks..

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts
All sounds normal. If you bought the machine at that elevation the clutch should be adjusted for it from the dealer. You can have the ECM re-programmed from the likes of RVSPerformance. They'll raise the rev limiter and open up both machines. The manufacturer leaves a little to be desired in the tuning department so to make the machine emissions compliant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bp405,
Good to hear. I’ll just keep on riding it, and try to quit over-thinking / over-analyzing my fun.
(Easier said than done🙄)
Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts