Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My fiancé and I each bought a Sportsman 570 towards the end of 2018, everything is the same except the colors on them. Her's has never had an issue starting, mine on the other hand has had issues since the first weekend we've had them. When I go to start mine sometimes it turns over and other times it won't, when I go to turn the key it acts as if it has a dead battery, volts ready around 11.5-11.7 when this is happening. It almost seems like there's a sweet spot on the ignition, once there is a little bit of resistance on the key it will either turn over or just kill. I've tried using a jump starter to get it to turn over with no luck. Brought it in to two different dealers, the first said it was a setup issue and there was an additional O-ring on one of the ignition components, the dealer it is at now said they have started it 20 times with no issues, but they all keep mentioning that there were a batch from that year that had bad starters.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if I need to learn how to start these things.. again one of them starts every time no issue. I do have a video on my phone of what it does when I go to turn it over, if there is a way to upload them here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also have a 2018 570 Sportsman. Mine is an EPS. When it was new (say less than 50 hours) I had taken notice of a no-start situation if the handle bars were turned at an angle “other than straight”. I would climb on it and rock it and tip it and move it forward and backward...then it would start.

After the newness wore off (say 50+ hours), it now longer did the no-start issue.

This response is probably not helpful in your situation, but you do have the advantage of having a service tech at a dealer investigating it. I’ll be they find the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input on this, glad I'm not the only one who has ran into this issue. It sounds like it will be ready for pick up this weekend, they ended up finding a broken motor mount that they are replacing. I will be interested to see if it will do it when I pick it up, and to see if rocking it or adjusting the handlebars to the trick. It's odd that one of them has the issue and the other unit is the exact same and has never had that issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds very much like a poor ground wire, double check all connections. Actually take them off, check the wires for pinches, cracks, corrosion, etc. Clean all the terminals regardless of how they look..Some of them came with crappy wire setups and loose connectors. I once found a negative ground wire that was corroded under a clamp, and it was acting exactly like you said.
Or you may have a starter solenoid issue, or small dead spot on the starter itself. My buds Grizzly was a starter solenoid and work sometimes, other times not.
starter solenoid test video.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got it back from the dealer this week and all they replaced was a cracked motor mount. Their service tech was able to start it 20 times consecutively without any issue, which I had to laugh at because in the two years I've owned it I haven't been able to start it 20 times consecutively without issue. When I went to pick it up it started 10-15 times fine without issue. Next weekend will be the test when we go to take it out, I will be interested to see what happens. Seems strange that when I bring it back to the place that I got it from and told them I've had it serviced and they stated it was a setup issue, the starting issue just goes away 🤔.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
My money is on a faulty ignition switch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This sounds like a normal 570. They get stuck on the compression stroke. You have to stop, give it a few seconds, and try again! After 3k miles mine hardly does it anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys,

My fiancé and I each bought a Sportsman 570 towards the end of 2018, everything is the same except the colors on them. Her's has never had an issue starting, mine on the other hand has had issues since the first weekend we've had them. When I go to start mine sometimes it turns over and other times it won't, when I go to turn the key it acts as if it has a dead battery, volts ready around 11.5-11.7 when this is happening. It almost seems like there's a sweet spot on the ignition, once there is a little bit of resistance on the key it will either turn over or just kill. I've tried using a jump starter to get it to turn over with no luck. Brought it in to two different dealers, the first said it was a setup issue and there was an additional O-ring on one of the ignition components, the dealer it is at now said they have started it 20 times with no issues, but they all keep mentioning that there were a batch from that year that had bad starters.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if I need to learn how to start these things.. again one of them starts every time no issue. I do have a video on my phone of what it does when I go to turn it over, if there is a way to upload them here.

Thanks in advance.
I have the 2017 570 Touring and it has done this twice on mine. I have not tried the rocking back and forth but that makes me think i want to recheck all the grounds and connections. Has anybody used the battery relocate kit to address this issue possibly?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts