Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18 sportsman 850, after owning for 6 months i developed a bad brake problem. The handle bar brake is soft and the brakes are working at maybe 50%. the back brake does not work at all, no pressure in the peddle. However when i depress the back brake pedal, i get full hard brakes on the handle bar brake, brakes work at 100%. I have tried vacuum bleeding each caliper, probably pulled all new fluid thru. Still the same problem. I just don't want to start replacing masters if i dont need to. The quad only has 280 miles on it. Is anyone having this problem or a similar one or have any suggestions on fixing??? Im having other issues with the quad as well that i will be posting in a different thread. Thank you for the help

·
Premium Member
12,309 Posts
Have you adjusted the pads??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Look for a leak in the rear brake caliper. It is on the right side. There is no caliper on the left.
I just started to have a brake problem and the RR shoe are gone.

Same bike and year but have 1842 miles

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2018 sportsman 850. Im working on my 3rd set of brakes and i never use them lol. Well the front last it is the bake brakes that go fast. Check your bake brakes i bet they are gone and the front is fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 18 sportsman 850, after owning for 6 months i developed a bad brake problem. The handle bar brake is soft and the brakes are working at maybe 50%. the back brake does not work at all, no pressure in the peddle. However when i depress the back brake pedal, i get full hard brakes on the handle bar brake, brakes work at 100%. I have tried vacuum bleeding each caliper, probably pulled all new fluid thru. Still the same problem. I just don't want to start replacing masters if i dont need to. The quad only has 280 miles on it. Is anyone having this problem or a similar one or have any suggestions on fixing??? Im having other issues with the quad as well that i will be posting in a different thread. Thank you for the help
I just bought a brand new 2021polaries 570 rear brake pedal does nothiong when pushing down on it..

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2021polaries 570 rear brake pedal does nothiong when pushing down on it..
So why are you on the forum and not at the dealership where you bought it? It is the dealers responsibility to assure the vehicle is ready for use by the consumer when it is delivered (meaning changing ownership from them to you). It is a liability and safety issue that needs to be addressed by the dealer IMMEDIATELY! If it worked when you accepted it and it faild shortly thereafter, it is still the dealer's responsibility to correct the problem.

Don't attempt to repair it yourself other than checking the brake fluid level - don't even add fluid TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER - NOW!

·
Premium Member
12,309 Posts
If it happened to my new machine I would try a couple fixes before bringing to the dealer. Although for most that is the best solution!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
So why are you on the forum and not at the dealership where you bought it? It is the dealers responsibility to assure the vehicle is ready for use by the consumer when it is delivered (meaning changing ownership from them to you). It is a liability and safety issue that needs to be addressed by the dealer IMMEDIATELY! If it worked when you accepted it and it faild shortly thereafter, it is still the dealer's responsibility to correct the problem.

Don't attempt to repair it yourself other than checking the brake fluid level - don't even add fluid TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER - NOW!
Wow what a reply..first did contact the dealer and another dealer..they both said that the foot brake is for down hill slowing down not a total braking system..I find that pretty sad..they both said the hand brake is for the front and back brakes which it is 60% front 40% back and it works prefect..just wondering if other people has the same issue..so thanks for your sarcastic reply

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,364 Posts
Wow what a reply..first did contact the dealer and another dealer..they both said that the foot brake is for down hill slowing down not a total braking system..I find that pretty sad..they both said the hand brake is for the front and back brakes which it is 60% front 40% back and it works prefect..just wondering if other people has the same issue..so thanks for your sarcastic reply
I don't think latebird was being sarcastic but offering sound advice.

You said that your "rear brake pedal does nothing when pushing down on it". That would mean there is a serious safety problem as your back brake is not functioning properly. You shouldn't attempt to fix that as it is the dealer's responsibility to provide a fully functioning machine.

Now you are saying that when you apply the hand brake, you get 60% front braking and 40% rear which is the way it is supposed to function. If that is the case, when you apply the rear brake pedal only, you should be activating your back brake 100% with no front.

So what is the problem? Are you getting rear brake resistance or is nothing happening? Your story is now contradictory.

Reactions: Doc8404

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think latebird was being sarcastic but offering sound advice.

You said that your "rear brake pedal does nothing when pushing down on it". That would mean there is a serious safety problem as your back brake is not functioning properly. You shouldn't attempt to fix that as it is the dealer's responsibility to provide a fully functioning machine.

Now you are saying that when you apply the hand brake, you get 60% front braking and 40% rear which is the way it is supposed to function. If that is the case, when you apply the rear brake pedal only, you should be activating your back brake 100% with no front.

So what is the problem? Are you getting rear brake resistance or is nothing happening? Your story is now contradictory.
that what I thought it would be when you apply the foot brake It would be 100% rear brake..like I said called the dealer where i bought it then another dealer also they said the same thing..rear brake is not designed to be a braking system..that is weird..I bought at least 10 brand new atv this is the first one like this that is like this..

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly.

Now take that new unsafe vehicle back to the dealer ASAP

Reactions: Doc8404

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,364 Posts
that what I thought it would be when you apply the foot brake It would be 100% rear brake..like I said called the dealer where i bought it then another dealer also they said the same thing..rear brake is not designed to be a braking system..that is weird..I bought at least 10 brand new atv this is the first one like this that is like this..
Either you are not understanding the dealer or the dealer is not understanding you.

You can completely stop your vehicle using only the foot pedal, which activates the rear brake only. If you want the front and rear to work together (as a system), then you use the hand brake. If all you ever wanted to do was use your foot pedal to stop your ATV, you can absolutely do that and you would wear out your rear brake pads in no time, but it will stop the vehicle. If you are depressing the pedal and nothing is happening and it is not stopping, then there is a problem.

Bring it in, smack the dealer on the back of the head and tell them to join the forum if they want to learn something about these ATV's. latebird, bp405, polman500, FPD218 and others will teach them a thing or 2.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Either you are not understanding the dealer or the dealer is not understanding you.

You can completely stop your vehicle using only the foot pedal, which activates the rear brake only. If you want the front and rear to work together (as a system), then you use the hand brake. If all you ever wanted to do was use your foot pedal to stop your ATV, you can absolutely do that and you would wear out your rear brake pads in no time, but it will stop the vehicle. If you are depressing the pedal and nothing is happening and it is not stopping, then there is a problem.

Bring it in, smack the dealer on the back of the head and tell them to join the forum if they want to learn something about these ATV's. latebird, bp405, polman500, FPD218 and others will teach them a thing or 2.
I called polaris Manufacturer in Minnesota they said the foot brake pedal is not for stopping the ATV it a fail safe if the the brakes fail ..he said go to page 42 in the owner manual which i forgot to do..guess they changed it for the 2021 models..

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,364 Posts
So how does the brake system work? For it to operate the way you are saying, then the pedal would need to be completely separate from the hydraulic brake system, almost like a cable emergency brake. Nothing has changed in the operation from previous years.

Also, if you are depressing the foot pedal and nothing is happening, then your so called “fail safe” is not working. But that is complete BS anyway and I find it hard to believe that Polaris would tell you that. Give me the persons name and number as I’d like to talk to them.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just read my manual.
didn’t know I even had brakes until today!!!

soooo happy.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,364 Posts
Manual calls the rear brake an “auxiliary” brake because if you just use it you can and will lock up your rear tires and skid. So they want you to use the hand brake, but the foot pedal can be used and will stop the vehicle. The manual also says not to go in water past the foot wells, so take from it what you wish.

Reactions: MrEd

·
Registered
11 Posts
So how does the brake system work? For it to operate the way you are saying, then the pedal would need to be completely separate from the hydraulic brake system, almost like a cable emergency brake. Nothing has changed in the operation from previous years.

Also, if you are depressing the foot pedal and nothing is happening, then your so called “fail safe” is not working. But that is complete BS anyway and I find it hard to believe that Polaris would tell you that. Give me the persons name and number as I’d like to talk to them.
after i spoke to them went to the owner manual look it up page 42..google 2021 owner manual for sportmens 570 premium ATV..it there plain and simple..as for the rear brake there are two bleeders screws one for the front handle then for the foot pedal..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Manual calls the rear brake an “auxiliary” brake because if you just use it you can and will lock up your rear tires and skid. So they want you to use the hand brake, but the foot pedal can be used and will stop the vehicle. The manual also says not to go in water past the foot wells, so take from it what you wish.
it does not lock up i tried it..it will slow you down barley

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,364 Posts
it does not lock up i tried it..it will slow you down barley
Your rear brakes are not working properly. Refer to latebird’s first post. If you don’t believe us, then settle for your substandard rear brakes and hope that you never have to rely on them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts