Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I bought my sportsman brand new. Since the day I bought it, she was hard to shift. I go up a steep hill in low try to get it out to high gear it was nearly impossible. I have 1175 miles on it and took it to the dealer. They told me the reason my issues for hard shifting is because my belt was bad. Is this an issue? I haven’t picked the quad up yet. Will the quad shift better with a new belt? I had to change the bell crank on top of the tranny at 900 miles

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
1,495 Posts
Belt could be causing the issue but likely its your one way bearing. If its easy to shift when its not running, then your one way is likely gone.

Reactions: Pamm

·
12,365 Posts
Nope. Hard shifting is almost always a clutch problem not the belt. A NEW belt can sometimes be a little hard to shift until broken in good. The hard shift after climbing a steep hill in low is very common. You need to get on a flat spot and get the pressure off the driveline. Any time a Polaris machine is very hard to shift while running... simply cut it off, select the gear you want and then start back up and go. Don't EVER try to force it in gear or you'll break/strip things.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,902 Posts
They're trying to pound sand up your ars..
You're one way bearing has seized up that's what's causing the hard shifting the one-way bearing is located inside the primary clutch here's a picture of a failed one-way bearing at 800 miles and what a new one looks like
IMG_20200915_203404.jpg

IMG_20200914_163346.jpg

Reactions: Pamm

·
12,365 Posts
I should qualify my response above. Sometimes the shifter detent bullet #13 in the pic can have rough/sharp edges that makes shifting harder than is should be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer said they “checked” my clutches idk if I should take it to another dealer or what. It’s still under warranty. But I’ve always felt like it was the clutch. Another thing the dealer told me Polaris products are “normal” for hard shifts

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
It's amazing and how these dealers trip over each other to make excuses

·
Premium Member
1995 magnum 425 4x4 2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
853 Posts
I believe it is normal to shift hard at times. Sometimes my 2020 850 is hard to shift too but mostly easy. If they are gonna put on a new belt and it isnt gonna cost you more than a small deductible, might as well get it.

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
The belt and clutches are considered wear items I do not believe they're covered under warranty?

·
12,365 Posts
My 2018 1k isn't hard to shift except when belt is hot or there's still a load on the tranny from climbing like I described above. Most times its smooth as butter. I've seen a couple of the newer models that needed the rough edges polished on the detent I mentioned to smooth up shifting but most times its the clutch.
You can try their "fix" see if it helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the best Polaris warranty. I called Polaris to vent my frustration. My buddy drives an 08 grizzly his shifting is smooth as butter. I still believe to this day Polaris needs to move to the gated shifter. I’m so annoyed.

·
Premium Member
5,902 Posts
Where are you located? I have tools to service the clutch?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Polman500 - "...Any time a Polaris machine is very hard to shift while running... simply cut it off, select the gear you want and then start back up and go..... "

Can you talk about this some more. Am I shutting the machine off to help the oneway. Reverse? At a dead stop running its always been a pain shifting

·
12,365 Posts
You need the one-way bearing replaced in the primary clutch.
When you shut the machine off the clutch isn't turning so that takes any problem with the one-way out of the equation. If it shifts easy while not running then its a clutch problem not the tanny causing the hard shift.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Thanks sometime I move trailers around the yard (level ground) and its sometimes a pain in the butt to shift. AND, If I ever get a plow...anyways I'll keep it in mind

Its the OEM oneway bearing the best or is there a aftermarket better?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts