Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am facing a dilemma. I already decided to upgrade my sportsman 450. I can get used 2018 sportsman xp 1000 (300 miles) for 8500 or brand new 2020 sportsman 850 trail edition for about 10500. I do not care for the increased power as much but what do I care is reliability. Some of the YouTube video complaining about the 2018 xp1000 are scarring me specially buying quad without warranty. But I was hoping to hear from you guys.
Thank you and I appreciate your Comments

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
No significant changes between those two years and models. The trail package gives you some of the added features that the 1000 already has, like arched a arms. Both motors are reliable with the 1000 having a few more ponies. Look at the used one really good to get a feel for how it was used. Check the air box for water or oil. Look behind the heat shield and all around the rad for mud and debris. Loose steering, squeaky suspension, alignment of front tires, the usual. Find out why he is selling, 300miles is pretty low so it could be a good deal.

Reactions: kamilfs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No significant changes between those two years and models. The trail package gives you some of the added features that the 1000 already has, like arched a arms. Both motors are reliable with the 1000 having a few more ponies. Look at the used one really good to get a feel for how it was used. Check the air box for water or oil. Look behind the heat shield and all around the rad for mud and debris. Loose steering, squeaky suspension, alignment of front tires, the usual. Find out why he is selling, 300miles is pretty low so it could be a good deal.
Thank you much Gmartino100 great advice. I am going to check it out tomorrow. Story is that he git this from his wife for birthday 2 years ago and really don't have time to ride. Seems like reasonable explanation. He priced it 9500 but I talked him down to 8500. If everything checks out I think the xp1000 will be great choice over the 2020 850. Especially that I'm getting g more powerful bike for less. Reading some stuff online should i be worried by any reliability issues with the 2018 xp1000?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have both an 850 and a 1000. The 1000 has just about 6000 miles MY18. The 850 has about 8000 miles MY15.

I did have a fuel pump fail at around 1500 miles on the 1000. Other than that it has been a great trouble free bike. By all means, get the 1000. I won't even ride the 850 anymore. I just keep it for doing work around the property and plowing snow.

$8500 is a great buy with only 300 miles. I have not looked at the 2020 850 to see if it has electronic throttle. The three mode power on the 1000 is great. The throttle is way smoother and better than my 850 with standard cable setup. My 850 has kind of an ON OFF herky jerky clutch and throttle combination. The clutch and throttle together, on the 1000, is way smoother.
I bought an aftermarket fuel pump even though my bike was under warranty. The pump was less than $100 and I didn't have the time to let the bike sit in the shop for 3 or 4 weeks for a warranty claim. I installed it myself and was riding again in a few days.

The 1000 is far more fun to ride than the 850. I will never go back. I didn't need the power either but was sold on the electronic throttle and clutching.

All that said. The POWER is also a kick in the pants. Love the 1000. Just got back from a 40 mile ride today.

D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought there was a clutch design change between the 2018 and 2019 1000 models? I have a 2019 1000 And. 2010 850. The 1000 is a hot rod and absolutely love it. Smooth clutch engagement, and a super comfy seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts