Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Posted on here a few weeks ago about my 850 overheating. Most everyone thought the rad was clogged but it wasn’t. So far I have cleaned the rad thoroughly took the front end off to do so. Check to make sure the impeller is working and circulating water. Changed thermostat. Changed rad cap. Checked to make sure rad is not clogged externally or internally. The fan kicks on as it should every time at 196. And runs continuously until temp falls below 190. Everything is working properly but this damn thing still runs hot Only seems to do so when the outside temp is over 90 degrees. Dosent matter if just putting around or running hard. Even flushed and refilled with new coolant with no difference. If its not over 90 degrees out it will coll itself down to 180 to 185 after fan comes on if over 90 degrees out after third or fourth cycle will run over 210 and eventually overheat. What the heck else is there that can be done? At the end of my rope with this thing. Thanks

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
528 Posts
See if you can get a stat that opens up at a lower temp. OEM is 180 degrees, if your riding in a warmer climate maybe you want that to open up sooner. Other option is to get a reflash and have the fan turn on sooner. Sounds like you went through all the normal stuff, I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been looking for one that opens lower. Actually went to autozone and got the stat I bought I was afraid a reflash was all that is left. Gonna try taking all the fluid out and swap to all blue ice for warmer weather and see what happens. I don’t know what else to do. Only had this thing since November. Driving me nuts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck if it opens at 170 it’ll be open all the time be like running without a stat

·
Registered
2017 Sportsman 850SP
528 Posts
Been looking for one that opens lower. Actually went to autozone and got the stat I bought I was afraid a reflash was all that is left. Gonna try taking all the fluid out and swap to all blue ice for warmer weather and see what happens. I don’t know what else to do. Only had this thing since November. Driving me nuts
Before you reflash run the fan direct so that’s it’s on all the time and see if that makes a difference. If it does then you know that a reflash will help. I’ve heard of some people running their fan off a manual switch, so that’s an option. I take it your out of warranty?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought in November ran perfect of course while it was cool only started this crap when it finally got over 90 degrees here. Now I can’t ride it on hot days.

·
Premium Member
2015 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Touring
195 Posts
Just throwing it out there: are you sure the fan is "good"? Maybe it's "weak"? (Bad windings, weak magnets, poor soldier joints inside?)

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
I'll tell you what have the ECU flashed by RVSPerformance. Call over there and just see if you can get Ryan on the phone. Tell him the back story and that the guys over on the forum suggested a tune. See what he suggests as he won't sell you something you don't need or that he feels won't work.

Reactions: jsnance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was figuring that was gonna be my last option. Just wish I knew what was causing it. I wrench on all my own stuff and hate having something I can’t figure out. I appreciate that. I holla at em and see what they can do

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
Yeah that's the best bet at this point. Ryan is a good dude. I've dealt with him on this forum and spoken with him over the phone. I trust him and his knowledge.

Reactions: jsnance

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess is she is running so lean. The exhaust is hot as shite. But always runs great. I can’t figure I’ve got a buddy who has the identical bike as mine and he never runs over 199 and my buddies xp 1000 I rebuilt last November never gets over 196 no matter how hot it is

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
Bingo!! So aside from increasing the duration of the fan operation by changing the set points the tune will fatten up the fuel/air which will make er' run cooler.

Reactions: RoyR80

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool I’ll call em tom. Hope it’s not tool bad. Between repairs on this one and my sons 19 570 oh my gawd. But they sure are fun

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wanted to update everyone. After about a month and a half the overheat problem is back. Guess I’ll be calling Ryan after all

1 - 20 of 28 Posts