Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Yeah I had temp issues early on with my 800. Although I didn't go through the entire process of draining and adding a specialized coolant I did add water wetter. I did notice it helped sparingly. Eventually what solved my issue was a new larger billet completely welded aftermarket radiator. Another thing idk if I added previously was a ton of CA guys do tunes to lower temps right from the jump. As these machines aren't tuned for efficiency from the factory they are tuned for compliance!!

Reactions: MrEd and jsnance

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well that sucks.I couldn't find your other thread about it but ,,,When you say it overheats Does it boil over through the overflow or does the hot light come on and goes to limp mode?

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
694 Posts
Well that sucks.I couldn't find your other thread about it but ,,,When you say it overheats Does it boil over through the overflow or does the hot light come on and goes to limp mode?
He never mentioned boil over, just 209 high, and hot light. I believe limp mode to. He and I have same 850’s built 3 months apart. It cycles same as mine but in warmer weather over heats. He’s done everything except reflash ECM. And he’s very thorough when doing repairs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
By any chance has the dipstick ever been broken. The 2015 850 does not have temp gauge but I had the same issues on and off for a couple years. I couldent figure it out and the dealer couldn't get it to do it. Never had codes. Turned out to be I had broke the tip of the dipstick off and over time it ground up and clogged a screen I think they said a port screen(??).Im the 3rd one that I know of that its happened to. The last one was a couple months ago,a guy riding with us kept doing the same thing..I asked him 3 separate rides over a years time if his dipstick was ever broken? He always said no then on another ride when it did it I looked at it myself and sure enough it was broken. His was a 2018 1000 .Not saying your friends is broken but its something to look at

·
Registered
694 Posts
By any chance has the dipstick ever been broken. The 2015 850 does not have temp gauge but I had the same issues on and off for a couple years. I couldent figure it out and the dealer couldn't get it to do it. Never had codes. Turned out to be I had broke the tip of the dipstick off and over time it ground up and clogged a screen I think they said a port screen(??).Im the 3rd one that I know of that its happened to. The last one was a couple months ago,a guy riding with us kept doing the same thing..I asked him 3 separate rides over a years time if his dipstick was ever broken? He always said no then on another ride when it did it I looked at it myself and sure enough it was broken. His was a 2018 1000 .Not saying your friends is broken but its something to look at
So the engine oil was not circulating correctly and caused overheating? I can text him and ask

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yep something like that.I could be running fine and when it did it I just had to wait a few minutes and could run again.Somtimes it was fine for a few months other times every 5 minutes

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep something like that.I could be running fine and when it did it I just had to wait a few minutes and could run again.Somtimes it was fine for a few months other times every 5 minutes
Great info! I really appreciate that!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for all the replies guys!!! No didn’t boil but will get to running at 210 and eventually temp light. If I let it idle it will cool down. Seems to really warm up if I run over 40 mph for a long stretch. The dipstick is fine. I check the oil every ride but that’s really interesting. I took the whole front end apart and cleaned it all really good today again. I’ve drained alll the coolant and added a water wetter and it helped but is starting to act up again. I check the electrical connections to the rad today and found they all had some moisture In them so I clean and greased them. First ride she stayed at 180. Ran her hard and the fan kicked on earlier at 192 and temp went down fast to like 175. Let it idle and it got to 198 and quickly cooled itself back down. Fingers crossed MAYBE was bad connections. I’m going to cal rsv preformance and get the ecm flashed by them. I like the idea of it running cooler and “a fatter” tune to get rid of the lean. It’s ridiculous they make them tune them like that. If I could figure out how to take all the emissions crap off I’d do it in a heartbeat. I did that on my cobra and it ran so much better. Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts