Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

i just bought a 2019 Highlifter 850, I had a couple different quads with clutch kits in them and the polaris 500 I had I put a mudder clutch kit in it which had a high stall, engaged a lot higher than stock, this 2019 has a harsh engagement like that, but only engages about 2000-2100 RPM's. When it engages it makes a harsh clunk, and when you let off the throttle it makes a clunk.. I was told by the gentlemen I bought it from this is normal for the machine. I called a Polaris dealership also and the service department confirmed this is normal also.

So I got to greasing the zerks on the machine today and while up under it I had the machine in park and pushed the tire to like rock it back and forth, the rear prop driveshaft has some play in it, and it appears when it engages when the machine is running its gouging the side of the shaft from the play, is this really normal? Do I need to replace the rear prop driveshaft on a 2019 machine with only 395 miles and 94 hours? Man I hope not lol

Any help I would really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
if the prop shaft is hitting something it has to be changed or investigated further as to why its running into interference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just watched a video of something similar with a older 700, his driveshaft looked same as mine, meaning hitting the knuckle, seems to be a common problem with the machines. I believe I am going to have to replace the rear prop shaft, is this a hard job on the 2019.

U-joint hitting side of knuckle from the harsh engagement starts to chew it up, ever heard or seen this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Top of U-joint chewing into knuckle I take it because of harsh engagement

I am afraid the entire prop drive shaft going to need to be replaced, ordering tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
that u joint has failed and is causing the damage to the yoke

Reactions: gearheadesw1

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figures, thats my luck

How hard job is it to replace that complete prop shaft on 2019

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered a new one, found a real good instruction on here how to change it, dont look terrible bad. Famous last words lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I replaced rear prop shaft (driveshaft) and the harsh engagement is still there, not as bad but still there.. Maybe this is the clutching on the highlifter?

When I take off it clunks, the RPM's on take are about 2100 RPM's. When I let off the gas it clunks also not terrible but its noticeable.

I dont have no where near the play in the shaft, I ordered a 2017 and its beefier than the old one I replaced.

I changed all the fluids from front to back and the engine oil plus the air filter.

Bikes runs well just the clunking on take off and deceleration worries me, but I have heard this is common?

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
285 Posts
Both of mine clunk if I let them. I always put the machine in gear and rock it back to make sure it’s in gear before takeoff.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rode it around my neighborhood a little with my son, runs well seems like. I didn’t run it hard just slow and steady in high gear didn’t get over 20 MPH. Today after doing all the maintenance and replacing the driveshaft I installed a GSE trail tamer slip on, damn thing is loud even with spark arrestors in but sounds good, love the sound it’s just a little loud. Maybe I will change the belt next but the more i do research lots of people have the clunking noise like mine .

·
Registered
380 Posts
Kind of the nature of the beast, it take revs to make the centrifugal forces strong enough to move the springs in the sheaves. The more you ride it, the less you'll notice it, sometimes the first back out of the garage in weeks hits with a jerk, but thats me on the bike.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
A QSC clutch kit from RVS Performance will eliminate the jerkiness. Mine used to engage around 2100 RPM with a significant “bump”. After my clutch kit it engages at 1800 RPM and is buttery smooth.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will a Gates #23G3836 work ok on my 2019 Highlifter 850? I know everyone always says to use OEM but $149.99 is kinda ridiculous

I am going to cover all the bases on the machine before I get out and do some serious riding.

Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Do yourself a favor, run the oem belt, others work, but the oem belt lasts the longest on my bike.
Shop around, sometimes you can get it for $145 even, there's reason they are expensive, they work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I figured this much, will bite the bullet and get a OEM one.

How reliable are these machines, the popping/ clunking noise just sounds like something about to break lol, I have done all fluids change to machine, grease zerks, air filter using all Polaris brand items. Going to changed belt with OEM one and plugs next. Anything else?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts