Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased new and first time buyer... salesman and I both heard metallic 'clunking' when a starting to move in either low or high gear during a test drive... I dismissed it as just being 'normal'... I took delivery and had it back to shop within a week to add a plow... out of curiosity, I took out 2 other Rangers (same exact model and year) for a test drive with the same salesman... both units were dead quiet during acceleration from a stop in either running gear... the salesman admitted hearing the noise during the original test drive and not saying anything during the purchase... he said the noise was abnormal, shouldn't be there and he would have it taken care of before delivering the unit back to me... more than a week passed when my wife received a call from him... they couldn't fix it but did reduce the 'clunking' a little... I called him back and told him it needs to be a quiet as the other 2 units we both drove... that is when he told me what the Service Manager told him to tell me... Polaris mad a mid-year change from some plastic parts (quiet) to some steel parts (noisy) during acceleration from a stop... I told him again this was not acceptable and I would not allow him to redeliver the unit to me... so that is why I am posting this... Has anyone heard of this anomaly (or dare I say defect)?... the unit only has 7 miles on it and the dealer has it and all of my money... I researched the Wisconsin Lemon law and consider this to be repair attempt #1 fearing that the noise in itself may not constitute a lemon but usually what sounds bad is actually doing physical damage that may not rear its ugly head until down the road... any advise would be most helpful... thanks

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Recently purchased new and first time buyer... salesman and I both heard metallic 'clunking' when a starting to move in either low or high gear during a test drive... I dismissed it as just being 'normal'... I took delivery and had it back to shop within a week to add a plow... out of curiosity, I took out 2 other Rangers (same exact model and year) for a test drive with the same salesman... both units were dead quiet during acceleration from a stop in either running gear... the salesman admitted hearing the noise during the original test drive and not saying anything during the purchase... he said the noise was abnormal, shouldn't be there and he would have it taken care of before delivering the unit back to me... more than a week passed when my wife received a call from him... they couldn't fix it but did reduce the 'clunking' a little... I called him back and told him it needs to be a quiet as the other 2 units we both drove... that is when he told me what the Service Manager told him to tell me... Polaris mad a mid-year change from some plastic parts (quiet) to some steel parts (noisy) during acceleration from a stop... I told him again this was not acceptable and I would not allow him to redeliver the unit to me... so that is why I am posting this... Has anyone heard of this anomaly (or dare I say defect)?... the unit only has 7 miles on it and the dealer has it and all of my money... I researched the Wisconsin Lemon law and consider this to be repair attempt #1 fearing that the noise in itself may not constitute a lemon but usually what sounds bad is actually doing physical damage that may not rear its ugly head until down the road... any advise would be most helpful... thanks
Make them either give you another unit or return your purchase price. There is no such thing as normal noise like your having on a brand new unit. You may have to get pissy with them but they deserve it for delivering a defective unit to you in the first place

1 - 2 of 2 Posts