Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my sportsman brand new about a year ago. About an hour into my ride yesterday overheating light came on and engine light and quad just shut off. Let it cool down for a while since I was in the middle of nowhere. Stated it up and continued home. It overheated another 3 times before making it home. Seems early to be having overheating problems. No clue what it could be from. Coolant is full. Only thing I can see if the air filter is covered in dust, but seems odd that would cause this issue. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
279 Posts
Or might just be bad connection, or damaged wiring. I’d check to make sure the fan runs first before going further

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes when it reaches around 190 degrees, It well then turn on, run till around 178 is reached and shut off

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes that’s a problem, after it cools open the radiator cap and check level, it’s likely low. That tube should be full, as it sucks in coolant from tank when cooling so the radiator stays full.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I thought they were self burping, learn something new everyday.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Your radiator is dirty!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Yeah huh, so you never hit any water??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That ride we did. There wasn't mud caked on there though. What's the point of 4 wheeling if you can't hit a little mud and keep going?

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Radiators plugged!!! Try cleaning it before you work on anything mechanical.

Reactions: Aero_Tom_F16
1 - 20 of 38 Posts