Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Probably not good enough!! How did you "spray it down"?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sprayed it with a hose as good as I could. I spray them down after every ride. It is possible it was muddy but seems weird a little mud just shuts it down when I was told could ride through 2 feet of water and have no problems.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Bud I think you have some misconceptions or have been given bad advice.

Also spraying it down with a garden hose and sprayer ain't going to get it done!! You have to get up close and personal to spray that radiator down. Something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Radiator-Genie-All-Purpose-Air-Water-Cleaner-Air-Wand-Water-Wand-Auto-ATV-Farm/619885620?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=11449&&adid=22222222228299002279&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=372590638011&wl4=pla-792651655108&wl5=9051564&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117097790&wl11=online&wl12=619885620&veh=sem.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
OK cool, no pun intended ;). I just dont want to see you throw money at something that I think is as simple as a dirty rad. Like you said its to new for problems. A dirty radiator isnt a problem just something that gets easily over looked, ask me how I know!!!! Good luck and let us know what you find. If its something more involved the guys here are a great help!!

Reactions: Aero_Tom_F16

·
Registered
984 Posts
You should be able to see the sunshine through the radiator. Not just the center behind the grill that’s easy to spray out but the edges too. Get creative and spray from as many angles as you can.

Friends of ours had a Honda sitting on a trailer, they were at their wits end. Bike overheated every time they took it out and hit mud puddles/holes. The oil cooler sat in front of the rad and upon removal, showed a layer of mud trapped between. An hour of time to wrench and lightly power wash had the bike running problem free. We bought it and rode in on many trips after without issue. Even the invincible Hondas need a good washing after playing in the mud!

Reactions: Aero_Tom_F16

·
Registered
241 Posts
My 570 had plastic shields on the sides of the radiator, enclosing it. I'm not sure what the purpose was but they trapped mud in there and prevented me from easily cleaning the radiator.
I removed those side panels and haven't overheated since. I'm able to easily clean the radiator from the side now.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
My 570 had plastic shields on the sides of the radiator, enclosing it. I'm not sure what the purpose was but they trapped mud in there and prevented me from easily cleaning the radiator.
I removed those side panels and haven't overheated since. I'm able to easily clean the radiator from the side now.
Mike there is another thread on here were a guy wanted to protect his radiator so I told him how a couple years back the Value Line models came with these side shields. I also mentioned how my 11' 800 came with them but my 18' 570 didn't. Well getting further I to discussion as to why Polaris stopped and the typical cutting cost etc etc I noted it was due to heat and accessibility for cleaning. Well as the thread gets longer and posts go on another fellow also wants the side shields and wants to know the down side I explain to him the heat build up and accessibility downside. Well the OP gets on his soap box and explains that he has monitored the temp gauge and the heat shields have no ill effects on the heat build up. Further more he asserts Polaris was being cheap by not installing them from the get go. Some guys always have to be right, lol. To your point Mike that is why I haven't added them to my 570. Yes it is less protected but so much easier to maintain and keeps engine temps cooler!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased my sportsman brand new about a year ago. About an hour into my ride yesterday overheating light came on and engine light and quad just shut off. Let it cool down for a while since I was in the middle of nowhere. Stated it up and continued home. It overheated another 3 times before making it home. Seems early to be having overheating problems. No clue what it could be from. Coolant is full. Only thing I can see if the air filter is covered in dust, but seems odd that would cause this issue. Any suggestions would help.
Oil level

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2017 The fan came off the motor. I had to buy a nut to hold my fan on !! PUT IT BACK ON AND IT WORKED LIKE IT SHOULD !! Make sure fan is attached to the motor

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem at about a year after buying mine, when you rinse the radiator out it pushed the dust, sand and mud into groves. You need to remove the radiator and you a coil cleaner like you use for your AC you can buy at any Lowe’s. After doing this once I put a radiator relocate kit in and have never had any problems after that. My machine is a 2016

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Sand is a BIOTCH. Thats what did in my 800s OG rad. Stopped hitting almost every mud hole after that deal!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just went through the same problem with my 2011 sportsman 800. I had cleaned the radiator well, or at least I thought I did. Turns out it’s tough to fully clean without taking some of the front plastic radiator guards off. When I did that I saw the mud in the radiator. Now she’s running like a champ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just can't believe the fan would break after a year.
I have a 19 570 Sportsman yesterday, started running Hot at mild speeds, just putting around, then the EFI, engine lite came on, my fan is working, it would come on & cool it down, then when fan stopped 30 sec later just driveing 15-20 mph it was up to 200°, my temp lite never came on, i could feel plenty of Excessive heat, way out of the norm. I tryed finding a Diagnotic error code, if i am understanding my manule correctly, if an error code isnt precent , the Diagnostic option doesnt appear in display.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Temp light wont come on at 200 deg F.

Clean your radiator!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
200 isn’t out of the ordinary to be running especially if it’s hot out. Temp light will come on at 235 and put the bike into limp mode.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts