Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 850 SP, bought it 60 days ago and haven't ridden it much yet, but love it for lots of reasons. This last week I put 3 hours on it deer hunting running miles off road in a remote wilderness area. Last night after getting home I hosed off mud from hunting with warm water, outside temp was around 30 F. Overnight it snowed 6 inches of heavy wet snow, so I was eager to try out the new Glacier Plow this morning. Everything worked great, great power, very happy, at least to start with. Took a break for coffee and then went back out to finish up. Stared right up but engine wouldn't run over about 1800 rpm with out missing and backfiring. When I eased into throttle I could sometimes get moving but then it would cut out, engine still running but again missing and backfiring. Seemed like the EFI was being limited, or engine was being detuned, in H, L, R, N and Park.

Called the dealership and the tech said it may be due to the wet damp conditions caused by the storm and washing it last night. He suggested I put the machine inside and warm it up and dry it out. Really??? Thankfully I have a heated garage, and after 3 hours with the heater blowing to warm it up, it runs fine.

Anyone have similar experience or know whats going on?? Apparently, a ground fault or short that limited/detuned the engine. I won't have an ATV that I can't trust to run in the snow and fowl conditions! Especially when running in the back county. It would have been a long hike out if this would have happened while hunting. My confidence is shot until I figure this issue out.

·
11,675 Posts
In my experience, there's about as many problems caused by over washing as anything you'll do to a woods machine.
Any new machine needs to be waterproofed prior to use if you want it to be reliable out in the mud and the muck and the elements.
From your description, it sounds like you probably got water in the left-hand switch or one of the connectors thereto and it froze and pushed inside the connections or the switch overnight and that caused the rev limiter to be activated. That's why the tech told you to dry it out and it would be ok. I think I would at least throw a $10 Walmart tarp over my brand new machine at night rather than soak it down and then let it just sit out in the weather... but that's just me.
When it was cutting out you could have probably pressed the reverse override button and I suspect it would have run just fine till it got hot and dried out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Polman. Hopefully, it was a one-off perfect storm combination that won't happen again. I agree it was likely a moisture freezing issue in the rev limiter switch or connections. I'm open to learning of any waterproofing suggestions for that switch or connections.
A few more details, after washing the machine was stored inside a closed garage so it was out of the elements. Pushed the reverse override button but didn't help with the cut-out problem.
I've ridden a Polaris ATV with no problems since '99, I take good care of this machine and all my equipment. It's going to get lots of use this winter on frozen lakes and snow, so I'm sure you can understand my concern after this event right out of the box. I'm looking forward to a reliable ride for many years.
Anyone else ever have a similar issue?

·
11,675 Posts
Ah...Ok, from your post I thought you were saying it set out in the 6 inches of heavy wet snow after you washed it... My bad.
I don't do a lot of water/mud intentionally but don't hesitate to hit it if I need to get through to get where I'm going or ride in a downpour if I get caught out. I will dielectric grease connectors, plug wires and anything else I think may need it anytime I mess with them. There are also spray-on waterproofing products that can be used. Good ole Pledge furniture polish/wax will also turn water somewhat and it has a pleasant lemony smell too lol. (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2019 850 SP, bought it 60 days ago and haven't ridden it much yet, but love it for lots of reasons. This last week I put 3 hours on it deer hunting running miles off road in a remote wilderness area. Last night after getting home I hosed off mud from hunting with warm water, outside temp was around 30 F. Overnight it snowed 6 inches of heavy wet snow, so I was eager to try out the new Glacier Plow this morning. Everything worked great, great power, very happy, at least to start with. Took a break for coffee and then went back out to finish up. Stared right up but engine wouldn't run over about 1800 rpm with out missing and backfiring. When I eased into throttle I could sometimes get moving but then it would cut out, engine still running but again missing and backfiring. Seemed like the EFI was being limited, or engine was being detuned, in H, L, R, N and Park.

Called the dealership and the tech said it may be due to the wet damp conditions caused by the storm and washing it last night. He suggested I put the machine inside and warm it up and dry it out. Really??? Thankfully I have a heated garage, and after 3 hours with the heater blowing to warm it up, it runs fine.

Anyone have similar experience or know whats going on?? Apparently, a ground fault or short that limited/detuned the engine. I won't have an ATV that I can't trust to run in the snow and fowl conditions! Especially when running in the back county. It would have been a long hike out if this would have happened while hunting. My confidence is shot until I figure this issue out.
I have had this problem a few time with my 2018 sportsman 850 it was in the thumb throttle. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts