Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2019 850 SP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was negative the last few nights and it's 10F today. Went to start the wheeler to move it into the garage (where it belongs in the safety and comfort of my heated garage), only received a loud click/clunk when turning the key. It sounded like the starter was frozen (dunno if that's possible/reasonable to suggest). The dash was working fine, the front headlight was strong, the rear brake lights were strong. The voltage on the dash indicated 11.5v which is lower than normal but the weather would explain the drop.
I have an SAE connector rigged to my stock battery which I sometimes use for my light bar (there's a rocker switch and fuse inline, don't worry). I also have my Vexilar rigged with an SAE connector which I can use for charging, LED lights, or other accessories while fishing. The benefit is that I can connect my Vexilar (12v 10ah LiFePo) to my wheeler for battery assist if needed. Well, I tried that. It bumped the voltage from 11.5 to 11.9 but sadly still would not start the wheeler. I connected my CTek charger which has a 12v 7amp "supply" setting but still got the same clunk result. It almost killed me but I was able to push the wheeler into my garage. After sitting for about 10 minutes in the now warm-ish garage, I tried again and it sluggishly started. Yesterday, which was even colder than today, it started right up and I rode it for a little while on the nearby lake. I'm assuming the lower than normal voltage (combined with the extreme cold) is to blame for the failure to start.

GOAL: I'd like to replace the battery with something that I don't have to worry about when I'm out on the ice. I'm not super worried about the cost. I want something heavy duty, reliable, plenty of juice to turn this pig over AND will tolerate the cold Minnesota winter temperatures. I don't always park it in the garage but I do have access to a nearby power outlet when it's parked outside for a tender/trickle if needed.

So far I looked at the Antigravity website. The battery "finder" page doesn't include my year Sportsman. Decided I would consult the fine experts here. I searched the forum briefly but didn't see anything specific to my situation. Forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

QUESTION: Anyone have experience and/or recommendations to share? Please provide specifics, model #, links, etc. if you can. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,182 Posts
Sounds more like the frozen relay problem

If it was a battery problem the headlights / tailights would dim out when you were trying to crank it over .

From another forum
Font Rectangle Circle Parallel Magenta

· Registered
2019 850 SP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out this post from polman500

Check your starter motor lately?
Awesome. One more thing to add to the list. Thank you for providing awareness to this issue. Any chance you have a link or documentation handy for this type of starter inspection/maintenance?
Thanks in advance. We all appreciate it. (speaking for all the members)

· Premium Member
2017 Sportsman 850SP
2,547 Posts
Sounds like a frozen relay. Keep a spare in your pocket when you go out ice fishing and if you have the same problem swap it out with the warm one. Could be a frozen starter, but unless you had it submerged, I doubt any amount of condensated water would be enough to seize it up. It’s a fairly new unit and the starters are sealed, so I would guess relay first. As for the battery, keep the machine on a tender and the OEM will do just fine. I live north of you in NW Ontario, we’re several degrees colder and my 2017 will fire up at -30F without any hesitation.

Edit: Just read through Polman’ s thread, maybe the starter is freezing after all. I know the relays are an issue with freezing, but I guess if you do a lot of short runs in the winter or during colder temps, you could get enough condensation to cause issues. I may take my starter apart this spring just to see what I see, never had any issues but that doesn’t mean that there is a gremlin lurking.

Reactions: MrEd

· Premium Member
2016 Sportsman 570 EFI EPS
6 Posts
It was negative the last few nights and it's 10F today. Went to start the wheeler to move it into the garage (where it belongs in the safety and comfort of my heated garage), only received a loud click/clunk when turning the key. It sounded like the starter was frozen (dunno if that's possible/reasonable to suggest). The dash was working fine, the front headlight was strong, the rear brake lights were strong. The voltage on the dash indicated 11.5v which is lower than normal but the weather would explain the drop.
I have an SAE connector rigged to my stock battery which I sometimes use for my light bar (there's a rocker switch and fuse inline, don't worry). I also have my Vexilar rigged with an SAE connector which I can use for charging, LED lights, or other accessories while fishing. The benefit is that I can connect my Vexilar (12v 10ah LiFePo) to my wheeler for battery assist if needed. Well, I tried that. It bumped the voltage from 11.5 to 11.9 but sadly still would not start the wheeler. I connected my CTek charger which has a 12v 7amp "supply" setting but still got the same clunk result. It almost killed me but I was able to push the wheeler into my garage. After sitting for about 10 minutes in the now warm-ish garage, I tried again and it sluggishly started. Yesterday, which was even colder than today, it started right up and I rode it for a little while on the nearby lake. I'm assuming the lower than normal voltage (combined with the extreme cold) is to blame for the failure to start.

GOAL: I'd like to replace the battery with something that I don't have to worry about when I'm out on the ice. I'm not super worried about the cost. I want something heavy duty, reliable, plenty of juice to turn this pig over AND will tolerate the cold Minnesota winter temperatures. I don't always park it in the garage but I do have access to a nearby power outlet when it's parked outside for a tender/trickle if needed.

So far I looked at the Antigravity website. The battery "finder" page doesn't include my year Sportsman. Decided I would consult the fine experts here. I searched the forum briefly but didn't see anything specific to my situation. Forgive me if this topic has already been covered.

QUESTION: Anyone have experience and/or recommendations to share? Please provide specifics, model #, links, etc. if you can. Thanks in advance!
Hi Plasitcsteak1,

Are you saying that when you tried to start it the engine would not turn over? It just sounded like the starter engaged with a clunk and that was it?
If that is the case then you may be correct, probably just a battery. If it is turning over but with a no start then it's probably the fuel pump relay. I also am in Minnesota and went ice fishing three days ago and had the no start issue. When I turned on my ignition switch the fuel pump was not turning on. Turned out to be the fuel pump relay, so I ordered a couple of new ones so I could have a spare to keep in my pocket (just in case).

JB

· Registered
2019 850 SP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds more like the frozen relay problem

If it was a battery problem the headlights / tailights would dim out when you were trying to crank it over .

From another forum
View attachment 174301

I would humbly accept some help identifying where the starter relay is located so that I might be able to order a few spares.
2019 Sportsman 850 SP

· Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
16,140 Posts
On your ATV it is up front under the front lid inside the fuse box. The fuse box is about 1 inch wide by 3 in long and it's on the passenger side under the front lid. Lift the lid off the fuse box and the relays are inside. On the inside of the fuse box cover there is a diagram identifying which relay controls what.

· Registered
2019 850 SP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On your ATV it is up front under the front lid inside the fuse box. The fuse box is about 1 inch wide by 3 in long and it's on the passenger side under the front lid. Lift the lid off the fuse box and the relays are inside. On the inside of the fuse box cover there is a diagram identifying which relay controls what.
Thank you for the very fast response! I'm aware of the fuse box but was unsure where the specific starter relay is located.
I think i may have found it. See attached photo from the service manual (was also able to find that).

Looks like the top right. Is that correct?

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

· Premium Member
16,140 Posts
Yes. That diagram is also underneath the lid that you take off the fuse panel to protect everything from the weather

Reactions: Plasticsteak1

· Registered
2019 850 SP
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the very fast response! I'm aware of the fuse box but was unsure where the specific starter relay is located.
I think i may have found it. See attached photo from the service manual (was also able to find that).

Looks like the top right. Is that correct?

View attachment 175507

Also, my front storage box is loaded with gear so i can't inspect the fuse box lid at this time, it will be a few days before I can get at it.

· Premium Member
16,140 Posts
2019 850 is a great ride!
Tire Wheel Window Vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
16,140 Posts
All you have to do is lift the front lid up, you do not have to take out the storage box to access the fuse box

1 - 15 of 15 Posts