Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy swamped my brand new 850 Touring SP with only 7.6 hours on it lol and the engine is toast. I’m going to be putting a 2018 1000 engine in it because I got a good price on a used one. I’ve been cross referencing part numbers for days to make sure everything will fit but I have a couple questions.....

Does anyone know:

1. Can I re use my 850 exhaust pipes? I can’t find any info on the exhaust port sizes of the 850 vs 1000.

2. Can my 850 ECU be reprogrammed to run the 1000 since they both use the same ECU?

Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

I guess I will order the exhaust gaskets for the 1000 and see if it bolts up. The throttle body is the same for both 850/1000 so hopefully the exhaust fits. I’ll have to measure the head ports and the pipes to make sure I’m not restricting it with the 850 exhaust.

I know the 1000 has larger exhaust and intake valves than the 850 but since the intake side uses the same size TB, I hope the exhaust is the same. They also use the same muffler. The parts diagrams look identical but there’s no mention of the ID of the pipes.

I guess I will have to find out.

———————————————————

As for the ECU, will I have to take it to Polaris to have them reflash it with the Programming for the 1000, or can I literally just plug it in and run the engine with no change to the programming from the 850?

I will be getting a Stage 3 tune from RVS Performance and I want to make sure everything is proper before they tune it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engine showed up today.

It came with no spring damper 😑 (basically a flywheel) so I’ve already got one coming from Quebec.

Also turns out the 1000 exhaust ports on the head are also larger so I will have to order the XP 1000 Touring exhaust pipe.

ECU is going to the dealer tomorrow to get reprogrammed to run the 1000. Then I’ll be getting a RVS Stage 3R tune to run on 100 octane. I already have a GSE Trail Stalker muffler and I’m opening up the air box to breath better. I’ll be covering any opening I make with some hydrophobic mesh and bezels I’m making from aluminum.

This thing should be an absolute beast!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it runs and it does 90mph with the 850 transmission lol. Not sure if the 1000 transmission has taller gearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts